National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

No relegation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:10
I don't disagree - but Premier Rugby aren't renowned for their benevolence.  It's their money, and they will do what they want with it.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:25
The key problem is the huge difference in the size, fitness and conditioning of players in the Championship & Nat 1. I would hate to see a league where there are regular miss-matches and cricket score results. The Cov v Jer match on Saturday was between very well matched teams which is the norm in the Championship. It would be great to visit teams like Albion, Mose and even Leeds again but I would like to see competitive matches most of all.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 11:06
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

The key problem is the huge difference in the size, fitness and conditioning of players in the Championship & Nat 1. I would hate to see a league where there are regular miss-matches and cricket score results. The Cov v Jer match on Saturday was between very well matched teams which is the norm in the Championship. It would be great to visit teams like Albion, Mose and even Leeds again but I would like to see competitive matches most of all.
That issue may well be resolved when the RFU pull/reduce payments to Championship clubs.
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by 'Hopper 'Hopper wrote:

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

That issue may well be resolved when the RFU pull/reduce payments to Championship clubs.
If I understand this correctly it suggests that Championship Clubs would therefore level down to nat 1 standards. I hope this doesn't happen and it certainly won't in the case of the apparently financially well endowed clubs like Ealing, Pirates, Cov & Donny so it may lead to cricket score miss matches. Surely the objective is to improve standards at Championship level not reduce them. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 15:10
When Richmond arrived in the Championship in 2016 size wasn't the problem, it was speed of thought.
It took them several months to get up to speed. The pack was not the problem.Even in the demotion season both props went to Premiership clubs.
pappashanga
Mickyboy View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 17:34
What does one class as financially well endowed sides. Those that play full time because coming from a financial background I would consider those to be that live within their means. Which is a different way to look at things. 
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 20:39
When we had 16 in the league before there was a mini league at the bottom of 4 to 5 clubs. Blues would play academy players with a mixture of the more established players and still win by 50+ points without playing well. Some games were 60s or 70s. These games attracted fewer people as you knew you were going to watch one-way traffic which isn’t as fun as hard fought closer win.

This is another why the bottom 4 clubs were cut to make a league of 12, which were of more a similar standard, making the division more competitive and more of an attractive product.

The sensible approach is to go to 14 and make sure you get 14 of the same standard before going to 16.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 22:47
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

When we had 16 in the league before there was a mini league at the bottom of 4 to 5 clubs. Blues would play academy players with a mixture of the more established players and still win by 50+ points without playing well. Some games were 60s or 70s. These games attracted fewer people as you knew you were going to watch one-way traffic which isn’t as fun as hard fought closer win.

This is another why the bottom 4 clubs were cut to make a league of 12, which were of more a similar standard, making the division more competitive and more of an attractive product.

The sensible approach is to go to 14 and make sure you get 14 of the same standard before going to 16.

Good reasoning, I also cannot see the point of going to 16 in the championship when the NCA leagues are being cut to 14 from 16 by the RFU.
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 00:00
It does depend on how good the teams coming up are.
From 2009 once the league was reduced to 12, only Esher (on the back of a parachute payment), Ealing and Richmond were relegated. Ealing and Richmond regained a place, Esher dropped to National 2.

Before that between 1996 and 2009 when two teams were promoted only five of the 27 (24 distinct) have not dropped 16 to below national 1. And the five includes Exeter and Worcester now in the Premiership.

If the promoted side is always a candidate for relegation, the standard of the lower sides can drop -

Sweeney Delenda Est
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 00:33
To each their own.
Personally I'd love to see Mose (in particular), Plymouth, Rosslyn Park, Roth, and perhaps DMP move up.
All would add to the league.

Edited for splegging errror

Edited by Kimbo - 16 Feb 2021 at 00:34
Our City,
Our Club
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 09:09
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

To each their own.
Personally I'd love to see Mose (in particular), Plymouth, Rosslyn Park, Roth, and perhaps DMP move up.
All would add to the league.

Edited for splegging errror

And I think at least three of them have good facilities so no issues there. 

Although with Rotherham are in league 2 North

Edited by kempstonblue - 16 Feb 2021 at 09:14
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 09:20
Mose are not really ready to move up - they were close to relegation for the last two seaosns.
Rotherham have been relegated.

Moving to 14 for next season you would probably get Leeds, Rosslyn Park and Rams.
To go to sixteen you would add Chinnor and Blackheath.

Plymouth and Darlington MP were another seven points behind Club - which is a fair gap even with five games to go - but would be expected to be in prime place to be promoted in 2022.

If we are using the 19/20 season placings, I am not sure you can claim Plymouth or Darlington would be stronger than Leeds - but my gut feeling is if you did play another season of Nat  1 Leeds would closer to Moseley than Plymouth.

Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

If we are using the 19/20 season placings, I am not sure you can claim Plymouth or Darlington would be stronger than Leeds - but my gut feeling is if you did play another season of Nat  1 Leeds would closer to Moseley than Plymouth.

Sadly Camquin the team that ran out for Leeds last time around - would in my opinion have been beaten by probably half the teams in Nat 1 if not more (Rams played us pre-seasons and in my opinion they would have massacred Leeds if they played as well as they did against us). Although they (Leeds) were spirited in their attempt at playing they really weren't up to it. If they have recruited well in the interim then it may be another story but your guess is as good as mine.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 14:09
CPK - I tend to agree, but the tradition has always been when increasing the size of a league, to forego relegation.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 14:19
It doesn't make sense to expand the Championship for the 2021-22 season given that the rest of the leagues below National One are due to restructure twelve month later.  Also, we need to know what the immediate plans for the Premiership are because this will impact the number of teams required to bring the Championship up to the desired number, whatever that number may be.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 14:34
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Mose are not really ready to move up - they were close to relegation for the last two seaosns.

I think you're not pricing in that he wants us up for the same reason I want us up, or Cov down....

Essentially I don't care what clubs are in Moseley's league so long as Coventry are one of them. Ideally I'd add Northampton, Gloucester and Leicester to that but I'm trying to keep the dream achievable*.

*If we're really dreaming then the first thing I'm doing when I win the Euromillions rollover is buying all Worcester's players at double their current salary... not because I particularly want them, but just to repay the favour from a particularly dark period...

Edited by billesleyexile - 16 Feb 2021 at 14:36
keep the faith
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

It doesn't make sense to expand the Championship for the 2021-22 season given that the rest of the leagues below National One are due to restructure twelve month later.  Also, we need to know what the immediate plans for the Premiership are because this will impact the number of teams required to bring the Championship up to the desired number, whatever that number may be.

The issue is rather forced, with Premiership saying they will have 13 clubs.
Do nothing, as their is not promotion. 11 sides. 20 matches, a team sidelined each week. The last Championship season was 12 teams 22 league games, and a cup which was unloved as the Welsh, Irish and Scottish dropped out.

With the central funding reduced, the first revenue source is ticket sales. 20 matches? With 11 sides you can’t even split into conferences, that needs an even number. 

So do we have 21/22 11 sides?
12?
14? 
16?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 16:24
kb, think its clear one team promoted at the end of this season from the Championship no one is relegated from the Prem and no one is promoted from Nat 1 so, yes 11 in the Championship season 2021/22
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 17:04
Billesley Exile has it nailed.
I'm not talking about who is ready - just who I'd like to see in the league.
And I'll add another: London Welsh.
Our City,
Our Club
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 10:07
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Billesley Exile has it nailed.
I'm not talking about who is ready - just who I'd like to see in the league.
And I'll add another: London Welsh.

Give them a few years to climb the ladder. They still have to get out of a tough London 1 South with London Irish.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic