National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

No relegation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No relegation
    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 09:02
TRP reports this morning that there will be no relegation. So last season PRL just decided to demote Sarries, and this year they decide they won't have relegation but will have promotion. They are just making it up as they go along. Will the Championship get the parachute payment money to make up for not having the bumper Premiership crowds? I doubt it, but if I were a member club of the Championship, I'd be contacting my lawyer right about now.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 09:58
Ooh, Nat 1 aren't going to like that.....
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 10:05
Typical PRL hypocrisy. Stinks.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 10:13
If there is no Relegation from the premiership but one team promoted from the Championship that will reduce the Championship to 11 teams for the following season , so two less games. Unless the Championship decide to look at the restructuring outlines in the recent paper. This would mean promoting the top sides from Nat 1 and the subsequent restructuring of the leagues below. Decisions have to be made soon as if next season goes with the restructuring of Nat 1 and below teams will be going down and then back up again with all the instability that will occur.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 11:08
Gerg , Saracens chose relegation rather than open their books, it was not PRL who relegated them. There is no possible fair process for promoting more than the one team from last seasons National One. Given the Championship will not finish until June this season surely it would make sense to delay the start date of next season so having only 11 teams will not be such an issue. Revenue from one less home league game- away games cost a considerable amount of money - will means clubs will have to adjust what they are planning to pay players, something I am sure all of them are having to do given the lack of revenue this season.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 13:22
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Gerg , Saracens chose relegation rather than open their books, it was not PRL who relegated them. There is no possible fair process for promoting more than the one team from last seasons National One. Given the Championship will not finish until June this season surely it would make sense to delay the start date of next season so having only 11 teams will not be such an issue. Revenue from one less home league game- away games cost a considerable amount of money - will means clubs will have to adjust what they are planning to pay players, something I am sure all of them are having to do given the lack of revenue this season.

Well said - although I would add I believe there should be no promotion at all if a full league championship season is not played.
RAID ON
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 13:40
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

- although I would add I believe there should be no promotion at all if a full league championship season is not played.

If there is to be no relegation from the Prem then you are right, regarding the promotion from the Championship (i.e. no promotion) - in particular as it won't be a full league season. The Rugby Paper loves to pop out sensationalist headlines without much substantiation from any sources - but then again going back to posters references of "By hook or by crook PRL / RFU will have Saracens back in the Prem next season"; I would not be surprised to see the people in the seats of power trying for this move as we discuss this matter.

Marigold - do you honestly believe the ticket receipts / food and drink profits from a home game doesn't cover the cost of an away game expenses? Perhaps if your home game attracts one man and his dog this is the case but otherwise that is just nonsense. 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 13:59
CPK I do not have access to figures and I imagine for local games you are correct. However  I cannot imagine income from the paying customers, not season ticket holders or freebie tickets, plus actual profit from beer and food sales once staffing costs are taken into consideration for one match would be significantly higher than the cost of travelling to Cornish Pirates or Jersey, at least one night's accommodation and two days worth of food for all the squad and staff would be.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 14:23
A full throated attack on the PRL cartel and the RFU from Coventry's DoR today in TRP as well. He also had quite a go at Donny's DoR for his leadership of the Championship. Made interesting reading, but probably underlines why France now has 3 professional divisions, and England is trying to have just one.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 15:15
Just to clarify that the claim in TRP is that there will be no relegation from the Prem to the Champ this season...

It doesn't say what may happen in 2022 and beyond that.

Going back 24 hrs to before this story was published - did anyone expect there to be relegation this June? I didn't.

Hopefully the Champ clubs can battle to ensure some form of pathway/opportunity in the future (2022 and beyond), in the event that one-up/one-down is stopped.

dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 15:29
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

A full throated attack on the PRL cartel and the RFU from Coventry's DoR today in TRP as well. He also had quite a go at Donny's DoR for his leadership of the Championship. Made interesting reading, but probably underlines why France now has 3 professional divisions, and England is trying to have just one.
Was the MD, but still point still correct. I'm pretty sure England also has the most registered players in the world?

Edited by dropout22 - 17 Jan 2021 at 15:29
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 16:38
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Was the MD, but still point still correct. I'm pretty sure England also has the most registered players in the world?

That is true.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 16:50
Out of interest, what are the main differences between how the game is run in France compared with England? The administration of the game in England seems woefully inadequate. 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 18:37
The main difference IMO is financial. For decades French tax law has allowed companies to sponsor/support rugby clubs and gain huge tax exemptions. In addition large numbers of the clubs in the top 3 divisions are provided with grounds/training at incredibly low costs by the local municipalities who own/run these facilities so the club does not have to spend its money looking after these expensive assets. The absence, until recently, of a salary cap has also allowed them to attract any players they wish to afford. I would suggest that the relationship between the clubs ad the union has in France for the most part been worse than that between the RFU and English clubs-note France having to put out a 3rd team in the deciding Autumn international back in November.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 19:02
French Connection is your man for this one! 
steve p View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 19:14
will there be a championship season to be promoted from this season
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2021 at 20:42
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Out of interest, what are the main differences between how the game is run in France compared with England? The administration of the game in England seems woefully inadequate. 

the most significance difference is that the two top divisions Top 14 and PROD2 (30 clubs in total) are run by the same body, the Ligue Nationale de Rugby (LNR)
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2021 at 17:22

Edited by No 7 - 18 Jan 2021 at 17:23
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:49
If I understand the premiership reasoning, relegation this season would not be a true reflection of the "on field" result as Covid cancelled matches are awarded points for not playing (currently Gloucester have played all matches and are bottom, opposed to teams above them who haven't played all their).
Using this logic (something the RFU are not renowned for) how can European places be decided?

If the Championship starts this season and games are cancelled due to Covid will the same points system be used? Surely promotion and relegation from the Championship should be halted this season?
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 13:25
Originally posted by Taffy Taffy wrote:

If I understand the premiership reasoning, relegation this season would not be a true reflection of the "on field" result as Covid cancelled matches are awarded points for not playing (currently Gloucester have played all matches and are bottom, opposed to teams above them who haven't played all their).
Using this logic (something the RFU are not renowned for) how can European places be decided?

If the Championship starts this season and games are cancelled due to Covid will the same points system be used? Surely promotion and relegation from the Championship should be halted this season?

Absolutely. You can't have one rule for the Prem and a different one for the Championship - or can you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic