National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

A Championship Podcast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 14:54
A great listen. I would love to see a competition against the ProD2 as Lydon suggested.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 14:59
Given that there are only two sides (for the time being) with a budget to compete with ProD2, I can't see it happening.
Our City,
Our Club
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 18:22
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Given that there are only two sides (for the time being) with a budget to compete with ProD2, I can't see it happening.

What was enlightening for me was that Lydon thought the gap wasn’t as great as I’d previously assumed. Apparently the pace and skills of the backs are greater in the Champ. Up front the ProD2 has the edge. 

I’d imagine any competition between the two leagues could garner a reasonable tv deal...
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 20:58
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

What was enlightening for me was that Lydon thought the gap wasn’t as great as I’d previously assumed. Apparently the pace and skills of the backs are greater in the Champ. Up front the ProD2 has the edge. 

I’d imagine any competition between the two leagues could garner a reasonable tv deal...
Having watched level two (with a break or three) since1988, I'm afraid I'm doused in pessimism.
Probably just me though...
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 23:28

Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Having watched level two (with a break or three) since1988, I'm afraid I'm doused in pessimism.
Probably just me though...

Iron sharpens iron. Japan played around a dozen meaningful tests in the run up to the 2019 world cup, getting games against a higher level of competition than usual. This meant that when it was time to perform, they were able to reach the knock out stages.

I think if Championship teams are given the opportunity to play against tougher challenges, some of the teams will rise to it, and they'll be more prepared for future challenges.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 09:52
Italy.
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 14:09

Italy.
Touche, and whata mistakea to makea...
Isithalftimeyet View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isithalftimeyet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 20:19
Jersey played RC Vannes (currently 2nd in ProD2) a couple of years back in two pre-saeson friendlies home and away.  Two very entertaining games with a victory for Vannes in France and Jersey in the home leg.  Would love to see that repeated.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 09:57
Episode 3 up, featuring Ali Price (Bedford) and Tomas Francis (Donny and Scottish). Once again, an interesting listen. Ali Price was saying that the Scottish 2nd tier is roughly mid-Championship level. Not sure, but without the B&I I guess we'll never know.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 13:18
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Episode 3 up, featuring Ali Price (Bedford) and Tomas Francis (Donny and Scottish). Once again, an interesting listen. Ali Price was saying that the Scottish 2nd tier is roughly mid-Championship level. Not sure, but without the B&I I guess we'll never know.

Hi Greg

I just recall the Scots teams being weaker as a general rule of thumb back in the day of the B&I cup, I thought Ali was being kind. It may be different now though, but this may be because of a lot more loannees from the Pro 14 clubs.....
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Pie Eater View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 13:52
Have to confess to being part of the Championship Clubs Podcast team, as a huge supporter of Championship rugby it was fantastic to hear Tom Youngs speak with such passion & praise for the division. 

Listen/watch to the last episode, which also includes Jersey Reds hooker George Edgson, in various formats via the link - linktr.ee/Champclubspod
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 15:29
Originally posted by Pie Eater Pie Eater wrote:

Have to confess to being part of the Championship Clubs Podcast team, as a huge supporter of Championship rugby it was fantastic to hear Tom Youngs speak with such passion & praise for the division. 

Listen/watch to the last episode, which also includes Jersey Reds hooker George Edgson, in various formats via the link - linktr.ee/Champclubspod

I am in no way affiliated with the podcast, and I can confirm that this was another great episode.
Deerhunter2 View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deerhunter2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 21:46
I enjoyed both episodes I have listened to, I found myself agreeing with Ben and George about the condescending attitude towards champ clubs from a section of prem club supporters. Hopefully the podcast, and the live streaming will go some way to showing the rest of the rugby world, what a great competition it is.
Pie Eater View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:35
Really appreciate the positive comments. 

Episode five with Saracens' Baz Barrington & Ealing's Guy Thompson is now live, some interesting stuff from their time at Jersey & opinions on prom/rel, ring fencing. linktr.ee/Champclubspod
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 21:04
Latest pod with Phil Nilsen was interesting, especially as he is done with rugby and was able to let loose a bit. My only suggestion would be to set up a consistent date and time to drop the pod. I listen to about 10 pods regularly, and that is key to holding an audience - also, suggest that you make it drop on a Friday morning so that people can take it in on their commute, especially with a lot of Friday games coming up.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 10:32
Done with English rugby maybe. Phil's still involved with Gibraltar rugby.
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 11:03
What's a commute? Is that the walk from the bedroom to the litchen tomake coffe and then back to open the laptop.
Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:10
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

What's a commute? Is that the walk from the bedroom to the litchen tomake coffe and then back to open the laptop.

Thankfully for my sanity, I've been able to leave my house and go to an actual office for nearly a month now. I get to speak to adults, don't have to work at my kitchen table, and have an actual break between home and work, which is filled by time on a train. Amazing.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 17:42
Tom Youngs was a brilliant guest and so full of praise for the Championship and the important role it plays in developing players for step up to the Premiership.
He also stated that all premiership clubs are constantly looking for players in the Championship. 
I believe Ealing Trailfinders will lose even more players to the premiership.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Pie Eater View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pie Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 09:14
Appreciate the feedback - going to do our best to publish over night on Thursday so that people can listen first thing on a Friday morning. There are a couple of things that sometimes fall out of our control but this week's episode with Ben Mercer is now live & a decent listen (in my biased opinion) Listen here - https://apple.co/3hDafKj

Edited by Pie Eater - 14 May 2021 at 09:19
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic