National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

A Championship Podcast?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Championship Podcast?
    Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 12:45
Has anyone considered starting a Championship podcast? It’s certainly something I would listen to and I’d be happy to contribute. With all the discussions in the press regarding the future of the Championship, the voice of the fans goes unheard. 

I’m not a media person though so have no experience in this area. There must be some players or ex players who would be willing to contribute. What sort of numbers would be needed to make it viable?
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2021 at 19:09
It would be good to interview players , coaches and support staff from all clubs . They all seem trained in presenting to the camera and never seem to say anything out of turn. The clubs would have to submit each interview to the blog but I believe it takes some considerable input . 
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 07:32
I think it would be good. There are some decent rugby podcasts out there - The Ruck by The Times is my choice - and having a dedicated focus on this division would be really good. Hopefully this may be picked up as we move forward...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:38
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I think it would be good. There are some decent rugby podcasts out there - The Ruck by The Times is my choice - and having a dedicated focus on this division would be really good. Hopefully this may be picked up as we move forward...<div id="ypm-extension" ="ypm-extension">

Could be a good selling point for future negotiations on Sponsorship and TV coverage of the Championship.
RAID ON
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:35
Doncaster fans (and rugby fans in general!) might be interested to hear from Clive Griffiths on the latest London Welsh podcast:

He talks about growing up in Wales, playing for Llanelli and Wales, going north, and the influence of some of the greats in rugby league on his coaching career.  There's obviously a big focus on his time with London Welsh, but he also talks about his experiences at Donny and gives his thoughts on the Championship and professional rugby in England, as well as the tragic death of Ian Williams.

This week's guest (podcast out later today) is another man with links to both clubs - Ed Jackson.

KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 16:09
Really enjoyed listening to Griff again, great guy.
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 21:55
Thoroughly enjoyed that Mark. Great guy for someone from the wrong side of the Loughor Estuary Clap
Benfairclough View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benfairclough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 12:43
I co-host a podcast called Boots2Suits which is available on all platforms. Myself and the host discuss all life outside of the premiership but more importantly life after sport and the difficult transition from boots2suits highlighting how 98 percent of professional players are left in the dark when their playing days are over. 

We have managed to speak to some unbelievable characters in our first season of episodes who have years of experience in the champ including Dan Temm, Grayson Hart, Mark Tampin, Chris Walker and Ben Mercer. (Would recommend listening to the Dan Temm or Mark Tampin episodes first as they’re our most downloaded episodes) 

We have also managed to speak to some high profile names in Jerome Kaino, Topsy Ojo and Dom Waldouck.

Let me know if you manage to have a listen with any feedback you have.

Hope everyone is well 
Ben Fairclough (ex Otley player)

Edited by Benfairclough - 31 Jan 2021 at 12:44
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 16:09
I think that the idea of  a Championship only podcast would be pretty niche, though I personally would definitely listen. I was wondering which sources of media people use for the Championship?
My top 3 are:
1. The Rugby Paper - gives a lot of time to the Championship, and usually backs it against PRL/RFU. At least a few articles/mentions each week, and did great team overviews last year of many Champ teams.
2. Talking Rugby Union - I've found some great long form pieces on there. There was a good one last year on Andrew Durutalo leaving Ealing to go back to the US and start his non-Rugby life. They also have done a lot of coverage this year, with Guy Thompson coming in as a columnist.
3. Rugby World magazine - A little coverage now and again. They did a nice Championship preview recently.

Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 19:09
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I think that the idea of  a Championship only podcast would be pretty niche, though I personally would definitely listen. I was wondering which sources of media people use for the Championship?
My top 3 are:
1. The Rugby Paper - gives a lot of time to the Championship, and usually backs it against PRL/RFU. At least a few articles/mentions each week, and did great team overviews last year of many Champ teams.
2. Talking Rugby Union - I've found some great long form pieces on there. There was a good one last year on Andrew Durutalo leaving Ealing to go back to the US and start his non-Rugby life. They also have done a lot of coverage this year, with Guy Thompson coming in as a columnist.
3. Rugby World magazine - A little coverage now and again. They did a nice Championship preview recently.

Didn't you mean 1. ROLLING-MAUL? 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 21:58
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

My top 3 are:

Didn't you mean 1. ROLLING-MAUL? 
Goes without saying!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 08:33
Talking Rugby Union did a podcast with about 35 minutes of discussion on the Championship  including Ampthill's Charlie Beckett. Very good listen.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 12:10
https://linktr.ee/Champclubspod

Here is a new podcast starting up that will discuss all things Championship Rugby
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 14:51
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Here is a new podcast starting up that will discuss all things Championship Rugby

Well worth a listen. Three top men who show what a great competition it is and full of great rugby people.

gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 17:14

A great listen. Hope this continues regularly.
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 18:38
A Must listen/watch podcast - excellent
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 23:19

Absolutely fantastic, well done to everyone involved. Looking forward to the next episode. Clap
Dalesman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 12:06
Could have listened to Alan Paver all day. A very informative and amusing guest to start off with.
This is a great initiative.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:14
I listened to the whole podcast ( very long ) and found it very interesting. The dedication and committment was obvious and real insight into what it takes to be competitive in the Championship. 
There are some real characters within Championship both players , coaching  and backroom staff I am looking forward to the next installment.
I would like to see Mark Bright interviewed and some of the players who have come through the Championship to the Premiership. I wonder how 'safe' they will play with both subject and guests. Dan Temn was very vocal about his treatment by Yorkshire Carnegie. Will they discuss racism, Saracens forced demotion to the Championship and cheating the current system. low wages for young players who are playing against an opposite number earning five times the amount they are earning.

We will see.
 T

Edited by No 7 - 28 Mar 2021 at 10:57
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 21:06
Really enjoyed episode 2 of the Championship Clubs Podcast, especially enlightening was Pete Lydon’s insight and comparison of the Champ and ProD2. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic