National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Pre-Season Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 22:36
That is being discussed at the moment but it may be at the discretion of the parent club and how they intend to use the player. Players won’t be able to do 3 or 4 matches then return to the parent club for 1. Loans and d/r will have to be season-long or in long blocks, as I understand the current thinking.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 07:42
You have a 19/20/21 year old.
In his first year at a Pro club, that's is getting told.

We will pay your wages, don't bother turning up during the week. just rock up and your loan club on a Tuesday and Thursday night for a couple of hours.
Monday to Friday get your X Box skills up! 
Oh by the way as none of our coaches have seen you train with us, we cannot push you on or improve you. Also as most clubs are, we are in the position to be able to pay your salary for you not to turn up!

What a load of rubbish..... 

The NCA/NLR to whatever they call themselves are better of to say there will be no loan/dual reg players this season as we cannot mix Elite and non Elite sport.Get that out there now, not wait till the week of game one!

It will cause some major problems for some sides, Plymouth, Taunton, Chinnor, etc because they have the max allowed most weeks, but it will make it a better comp and a level playing field!

Edited by Scrumtime - 23 Jul 2021 at 07:47
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 08:36
Flipside of that argument is that these youngsters will not actually play any rugby for 12 months.  Very few players get thrown into a Premiership game without having played at a lower level on a loan/ DR basis.  Louis Lynagh is one exception that springs to mind, but look at how many of the current England squad have Championship experience.  Maybe ring-fencing will change this - the idea that no relegation means no pressure and more chance to experiment - but for clubs chasing the play-offs or European qualification I think the onus will still be on experience when it comes to selection.

So that opportunity to farm youngsters out - and the Academy coaches do watch them and report back - is vital to their development.  Whether they need to sweep so many young players up and put them into academies rather than letting them play for their school or local club, thereby removing all enjoyment and making them a product of the system, is another argument.  One criticism of the Championship is that it doesn't develop England internationals, but that's impossible when the academies hoover up any and all players who are anywhere close to county standard by the age of 15.  And I bet sides like Plymouth, Taunton and Chinnor (in fact, every club in the National Leagues) have suffered as a result of the best local talent being harvested by the big boys.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 14:23
Completely true Mark and it goes lower as you can imagine county sides have players from further down the pyramid so some never get any chance of natural progression. It’s also interesting to look at how many starting Lions have National League experience 
So many Christians not enough Lions
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 14:42
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

So how will an "Elite" player registered to a Championship club be allowed to go out to a Nat1 or Nat2 club on loan or via dual registration? 

Presumably exactly the same as before. The instruction being discussed only relates to pre-season friendlies.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 18:43
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

So how will an "Elite" player registered to a Championship club be allowed to go out to a Nat1 or Nat2 club on loan or via dual registration? 

Presumably exactly the same as before. The instruction being discussed only relates to pre-season friendlies.
Discussions are taking place. It is likely that long-block or season-long loans will be allowed and how those players train from Monday- Friday will be down to the parent club.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 19:29
Pirates to play Worcester Warriors on 11th Sept. KO 5pm.

Edited by Stalwart - 27 Jul 2021 at 21:50
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 20:59
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Pirate to play Worcester Warriors on 11th Sept. KO 5pm.

I have never seen a Premiership team so inept, abject,and deserving of, nay, crying out for, relegation as last year's warriors. I hope Pirates put them to the sword.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 21:51
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I have never seen a Premiership team so inept, abject,and deserving of, nay, crying out for, relegation as last year's warriors. I hope Pirates put them to the sword.

There's the problem with no relegation - they could be terrible and it didn't matter.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 07:31

There's the problem with no relegation - they could be terrible and it didn't matter.

And they'd continue to be terrible for a long time. Look at what happened to Harlequins RL in the other code when they had a closed shop. The last few seasons, they just took pounding after pounding to the point that relegation was probably a welcome relief.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 07:40

Put them to the cutlass, surely?
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 12:02
Originally posted by CJB1 CJB1 wrote:

Put them to the cutlass, surely?
Or make them walk the plank...
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 20:34

They are dire, season, upon season, upon season.  What is the point of Worcester as a Prem club?
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 21:16
Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

They are dire, season, upon season, upon season.  What is the point of Worcester as a Prem club?

They have bigger and better facilities than any Championship Club …….
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 07:26
If that is the only reason then it is no reason at all
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 08:12
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

They have bigger and better facilities than any Championship Club …….
..and they have machines that inject beer from the bottom of the glass, which is more interesting to watch. 
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 11:34
Worcester have made some significant signings for next season, including Rory Sutherland, Duhan van der Merwe, Scott Baldwin, Willi Heinz, Matt Garvey, Will Chudley, Christian Judge and Owen Williams.  So much for ring-fencing promoting the introduction of young, English-qualified talent.
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 11:45
Nottingham will play Scarlets
Forever Green.
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 11:37
Originally posted by Woody Woody wrote:

Nottingham will play Scarlets

With social distancing restrictions still in place Scarlets are waiting for the next Welsh Government Covid-19 directive before confirming ticket details for the game. http://www.scarlets.wales/article/scarlets-to-host-nottingham-in-pre-season/ 

Edited by Taffy - 30 Jul 2021 at 11:40
Bombay Duck View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombay Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 17:17
Pirates to play RN Snr team Fri 02 Sept
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic