National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Pre-Season Friendlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 16:46
Cov 21-52 Wasps FT
Our City,
Our Club
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 16:51
Falcons 33 - 29 Knights FT
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 16:53
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Not a bad first run out

Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 17:02
Mond 17  LS 13
pappashanga
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 17:03
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Not a bad first run out

Happy with that to be fair
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 17:07

Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Not a bad first run out

Happy with that to be fair

I'll bet you are MC
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 17:07
Gloucester 38 Ealing Trailfinders 36 FT.

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 17:08
Full-time: Scarlets 55-21 Nottingham.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 17:21
Brilliant results for Knights and Ealing
Run with it
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 19:57
Anyone want to watch the re-run of Blues v Saints 

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 21:37
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Jersey fans, do you know what’s happened to Ryan Hutler? I think he was the best winger in the league when you signed him from us. He didn’t feature at all last year and hasn’t featured in pre season so can only assume he picked up a major injury before last season started but do you know what happened?

RH’s Jersey début was in mid-Feb pre-season game at Cov, he scored a try after 14 mins. But 2 weeks later he was injured in our 2nd warm-up game at Pirates & unfortunately still isn’t fit. Hopefully a November return may be feasible so that he’s available for our trip to GR on Boxing Day…
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 08:31
Still trying to get my swede around where we all stand with this league this season (squad standards wise).
Can anyone give us a feel for the quality of the starting lineups of Scarlets, Saints, and Glaws yesterday?
Wasps, I can chip in with.
They started with 13 of their Prem players (plus Crosdale just in from Sarries, plus Fifita, from Hurricanes).
The pack had something approaching 500 Prem appearances (plus Fifita's 58 with Hurricanes) and the backs around 150 or so.
It was always going to be an uphill struggle, and so it turned out.
Mind you, it was possibly slightly skewed by our poor lineout resulting in at least one try, and the fact we were held up over the line a couple of times, so it might have been a bit closer (I know, if my Aunty had nuts, etc, etc).
Anyway, it'd be interesting to see a comparison of some sort.
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 09:38
I'm not sure you'll get an exact comparison Kimbo - need some sort of complicated formula that measured where the Prem team finished last season, how strong they were in each half relative to if they'd been at full-strength (given the huge number of changes that tend to happen at HT) while also factoring in whether it was their 1st/2nd/3rd pre-season game etc etc and also how close to full strength the Ch'ship side was. Some clubs play entirely separate sides across the same pre-season w/e eg Newcastle Falcons played Glasgow on Friday & Donny on Saturday.

Wins for the lower-ranked side are pretty unusual - I know Ealing managed one last w/e, there's only been one for Jersey in past decade (Worcester 2016), others may have a few other examples...

We'll find out in the coming months how good this prep has been...
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 09:47
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I'm not sure you'll get an exact comparison Kimbo - need some sort of complicated formula that measured where the Prem team finished last season, how strong they were in each half relative to if they'd been at full-strength (given the huge number of changes that tend to happen at HT) while also factoring in whether it was their 1st/2nd/3rd pre-season game etc etc and also how close to full strength the Ch'ship side was. Some clubs play entirely separate sides across the same pre-season w/e eg Newcastle Falcons played Glasgow on Friday & Donny on Saturday.

Wins for the lower-ranked side are pretty unusual - I know Ealing managed one last w/e, there's only been one for Jersey in past decade (Worcester 2016), others may have a few other examples...

Pirates beat Exeter a couple of years ago (pre-season).
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:05
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Still trying to get my swede around where we all stand with this league this season (squad standards wise).
Can anyone give us a feel for the quality of the starting lineups of Scarlets, Saints, and Glaws yesterday?
Wasps, I can chip in with.
They started with 13 of their Prem players (plus Crosdale just in from Sarries, plus Fifita, from Hurricanes).
The pack had something approaching 500 Prem appearances (plus Fifita's 58 with Hurricanes) and the backs around 150 or so.
It was always going to be an uphill struggle, and so it turned out.
Mind you, it was possibly slightly skewed by our poor lineout resulting in at least one try, and the fact we were held up over the line a couple of times, so it might have been a bit closer (I know, if my Aunty had nuts, etc, etc).
Anyway, it'd be interesting to see a comparison of some sort.

Saints had basically all their first teamers playing apart from the lions contingent. The starting team was a mix and match of first choice and backups/academy with a few first choice players on the bench so they never had their best 15 on the pitch, but never had a backup/academy 15 on either. I’d say about 8 or 9 of the starters will start the first prem game and another couple that were on the bench 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:38
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Wasps,

A young Scarlets back division and a mix of experience saw them through in an encouraging nine-try display for new head coach Dwayne Peel. Nottingham battled throughout and dominated the opening exchanges. Scarlets head up to Leicester Tigers a week on Thursday, which will be a tougher test 
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 10:53
Here was the Saints team/squad - I thought we may win it at one stage when we were 21 - 26 down but inches from the line. However, Saints came back with 2 tries.

15 Tom Collins
14 Dani Long-Martinez *
13 Tom Litchfield *
12 Rory Hutchinson
11 Taqele Naiyaravoro
10 George Furbank
9 Alex Mitchell

1 Alex Waller
2 James Fish
3 Ehren Painter
4 Alex Moon
5 Tom Wood
6 Lewis Ludlam (capt)
7 Ollie Newman *
8 Juarno Augustus

Replacements:
Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi
Emmanuel Iyogun
Nick Auterac
Karl Garside
Oisin Hefferenan
Paul Hill
Geordie Irvine
Teimana Harrison
Jake Garside
James Grayson
Fraser Dingwall
Matt Proctor
Josh Gillespie *
George Hendy

* those who are being loaned to Blues

Edited by The Blues - 05 Sep 2021 at 10:55
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 11:21
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

so they never had their best 15 on the pitch, 
This is the most typical pre-season selection in my experience.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 14:50
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Pirates beat Exeter a couple of years ago (pre-season).
Kinda what I mean really. Cov hammered Wasps two or three years ago - but it was a very different (strength) Wasps squad from that of yesterday.
Our City,
Our Club
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2021 at 14:51
Currently I think every team will be happy with their respective pre season games so far . . . it does though show that the league is definitely 3 leagues in one!
Run with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic