National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rugby Union Winter Survival Fund

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 18:04
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

It's absolutely outrageous that I can suggest what I like about clubs engaging in all sorts of unethical behaviour without naming anyone or providing any evidence and some people don't believe me!

And you can say it based on half-truths, rumours and guesswork without ever looking at the real story!
Hopping Mad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopping Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 18:53
I wonder how many clubs on that list have opted out of the player payment  declaration framework?

My understanding is that wasn’t something asked, perhaps someone can clarify?

What it again shows is that club sustainability is an issue. If clubs are clearly arguing that their off field businesses have been so interrupted that these are bridging loans to allow them to get through a period of no income, then clearly they expect to resume income generation in due course. Therefore why can they not be asked to pay those funds back? 

All clubs have been affected to some extent. The smaller clubs on the list with no commercial revenues who don’t pay players are the ones support should be free. 

And I’m sure those who question my previous comment aren’t really as naive as they make out. 

Edited by Hopping Mad - 30 Mar 2021 at 18:59
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopping Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 18:59
Or you can press your County CB or RFU council members for a greater understanding of what financially is happening in the semi pro game.

Halliford, I’m sure you would be well placed to get this from the horses mouth. 

We’ve all had to find ways to navigate through difficult times. If this has taken you to the edge but as a club you’re intent on resuming your financial model of pre COVID times then clearly some clubs will never learn that you’re only ever one step from the brink if you live continuously hand to mouth. 

Edited by Hopping Mad - 30 Mar 2021 at 19:00
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 14:10
Hopping Mad, my Club hasn’t gone to the edge but we have had to make cuts, reduce staffing and suspend investment in the ground to recognise the significantly reduced level of income we have without matches and the Club being open for hiring and activities. Last summer alone we lost £160k in income.

So we will be accepting a grant from the Government, as we have accepted other grants already, to enable us to open from 12th April with confidence that we can regenerate our income and build a new future.

Yes, that will involve paying players as we believe this is essential at National League level to recompense our players for the time and commitment they make to us. This is semi-professional rugby and we want to be successful in it.

I appreciate that there are those on this Forum to whom the payment of players is an anathema. They believe in a concept which predates professional rugby, where players play for pleasure and their own enjoyment. The game has moved on but all are, of course, entitled to their opinion. My Club will continue to live within its means, respect the player payment caps and provide good quality rugby as entertainment for both its players and its supporters of all ages.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopping Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 08:50
It’s not about the payment of players but clearly the scale of payment that is killing clubs.

My club’s lost revenue is significantly higher than the sum you disclose. 

My gripe is that clubs aren’t even attempting in some cases to be sustainable with reserves built in. The millions spent on playing wages each year is, in the main unaffordable. It stymies investment back into the game and provides limited long term planning.

This isn’t a comment on your club directly Halliford.

But there are clubs on that list who are hand to mouth because they clearly overpay and have nothing to reinvest into the game or build any resilience into their business plan.

Controlling wages as a percentage of revenue or some similar type of control has to be thought about. That clubs on this list who will get a bailout to pay their real bills but then spend hundreds/tens of thousands on player payments next season is plain wrong. 
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 13:19
Originally posted by Hopping Mad Hopping Mad wrote:

"It’s not about the payment of players but clearly the scale of payment that is killing clubs".
"But there are clubs on that list who are hand to mouth because they clearly overpay and have nothing to reinvest into the game or build any resilience into their business plan"
"That clubs on this list who will get a bailout to pay their real bills but then spend hundreds/tens of thousands on player payments next season is plain wrong".

Totally agree with the above.
The Clubs you refer to are generally made up of a very well paid 1stXV Squad, with no other senior sides, no Ladies teams and no Mini Junior section. They have no foundations, give nothing back to the game and have no engagement with the local community.
IMHO, any grants awarded to these Clubs should be carefully audited.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 20:45
The RFU update yesterday confirmed that 512 Clubs received £18.2 million in Government grant funding under this scheme. A further £12 million is available through loans.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic