National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rugby Union Winter Survival Fund

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rugby Union Winter Survival Fund
    Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 16:45
Clubs now have the details of the grant process for Level 3 and below. It's a relatively easy Application to complete, although I have raised one question with the RFU. It's worth noting that it is not the RFU that decides who gets what, this is a Government scheme using Deloitte's and Sport England to review Applications.

I think it should be good news for most but I'd like to hear thoughts from others involved completing this Application, probably best through a private message.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 20:26
Halliford I applaud your positivity. All the Championship clubs made incredibly detailed applications. All were turned down for grants. Loans were offered to some, none of whom could accept the terms attached to the loans. As far as the Championship is concerned the 'survival fund' was a bogus headline grab with no actual substance.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 22:50
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Halliford I applaud your positivity. All the Championship clubs made incredibly detailed applications. All were turned down for grants. Loans were offered to some, none of whom could accept the terms attached to the loans. As far as the Championship is concerned the 'survival fund' was a bogus headline grab with no actual substance.

Possibly correct, or is it possible they didn't meet the criteria for grants which as I understand is to prevent a club who is in imminent danger of going under from going under?

To be fair I would not think any of the clubs in the Championship should be in imminent danger of going under, although I understand Ampthill are appealing their decision.

Edited by Raider999 - 15 Feb 2021 at 22:52
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 14:47
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

As a Club we had already agreed that we would not sign up to a loan scheme. We are prepared to provide the detail needed for the grant scheme that is being proposed for Clubs at Level 3 and down. How much of what is available will get taken up will be something to look at. We have stayed solvent with little income for nearly a year. This grant scheme helps with fixed costs and so is beneficial to everyone.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 15:03
Grants good, loans bad seems a good policy to adopt to me.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 15:19
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Grants good, loans bad seems a good policy to adopt to me.

Totally agree, most clubs struggle to break even each year so where would money come from to pay-back any loans?
RAID ON
Tiger View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 17:31
Understand that the following clubs have received grants of a max £50k
Altrincham Kersal RFC 
Andover RFC Ltd 
Ashford RFC 
Banbury RFC 
Barnsley RUFC 
Barnstaple RFC
 Basingstoke RFC Ltd 
Beccehamian RFC
 Billingham RFC 
Birmingham Moseley Rugby Club 
Blackburn RUFC 
Boston RFC 
Bournemouth RFC 
Bowdon RUFC 
Bracknell RFC 
Bridgwater Albion RFC 
Brighton RFC 
Bromsgrove RFC 
Burntwood Rugby Club Limited 
Camberley RFC 
Cambridge RUFC 
Canterbury RFC 
Carlisle RFC 
Cheltenham RFC 
Chester RFC 
Cleve RFC 
Coney Hill RFC 
Crawley RFC 
Crowborough RFC 
Darlington RFC 
Dartfordians RFC 
Derby RFC 
Dursley RFC Limited 
Eton Manor RFC 
Exmouth RFC 
Farnham RUFC 
Footscray RUFC 
Harrogate RFC 
Heath RUFC 
Heathfield Waldron RFC 
Hemel Hempstead (Camelot) RFC 
Hinckley RFC 
Hornets RFC 
Houghton RUFC 
Hove RFC 
Huddersfield RUFC 
Hull Ionians RFC
Hull RUFC 
Kettering RFC 
Keynsham RFC 
London Irish Amateur RFC 
London Welsh Rugby Club 
Lutterworth RFC 
Lydney RFC 
Marlow Rugby Union Football Club 
Medway RFC 
Morley RFC 
Newbold on Avon RFC 
Newbury RFC 
Newton Abbot RFC 
North Ribblesdale RFC 
Northwich Oadby Wyggestonian RFC 
Oakham RFC 
Oakmeadians RFC 
Okehampton RFC 
Old Reigatian RFC 
Old Richians RFC 
Peterborough Lions RUFC 
Plymouth Albion RFC 
Rams RFC 
Rochdale RUFC 
Rochford Hundred RFC 
Sale F.C. 
Sheffield Tigers RUFC 
Southport RFC 
Southwell RFC 
Spartans (Gloucester) RFC 
St Bernadettes Old Boys RFC 
Stourbridge RFC
Syston RFC
Teignmouth RFC 
Thurrock RFC 
Walsall RFC Ltd 
Wanstead RFC 
Wasps FC 
West Hartlepool RFC 
West Park (St Helens) RFC 
Whitley Bay Rockcliff RFC 
Withycombe RFC 
Woodrush RFC

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 18:05
I make that only £4.5m of the available £23m but I assume there will also be a lot of Clubs who have not received the £50k max.

Can't help but 'raise an eyebrow' at one or two clubs on the list, especially those who are known for throwing money at big name DoR's and on playing staff.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 21:04
That is a huge spectrum of teams from Premiership (why) down to level 8 or so.

Although it is possible Wasps FC are not the premiership team?

Edited by Raider999 - 21 Mar 2021 at 21:06
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 22:05
This is all for Level 3 and below, Raider. Wasps is the amateur team in North London, not the Premiership team in Coventry.
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 22:10
Many of these teams are not amateur
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
donnyladinsheffield View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donnyladinsheffield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 23:29
They don’t need to be. It was for community clubs at level 3 and below. Criteria here. Spending on DOR or players not a bar as long as can show financial need. There is a cap on what will be paid towards high salaries. 

He's alright and he don't care; He's got thermal underwear
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 14:45
Tiger where have you got that list from ?
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 14:56
Tiger - can you also clarify whether these awards are Grants OR Loans?? 
Wally View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 16:13
Only 1 club from Eastern Counties and that is the largest Cambridge. Not sure what that tells us about all the other clubs in EC!!!

why does it always rain on me
Tiger View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 16:16
My son is an efficient Treasurer of a club on the list (not Sheffield Tigers!) He got a £50k grant for his club. The list was I believe included in the documentation advising him of the grant award.
I guess that as with most government grants they go to people who can fill a form in rather than those who need the money most.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 17:58
Certainly our club felt we were not in dire straights and needed a survival fund...Why borrow money you dont critically need

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 22:20
Originally posted by Tiger Tiger wrote:

My son is an efficient Treasurer of a club on the list (not Sheffield Tigers!) He got a £50k grant for his club. The list was I believe included in the documentation advising him of the grant award.
I guess that as with most government grants they go to people who can fill a form in rather than those who need the money most.

My club has been offered the max £50k grant award and will accept but no 'list' was included in the documentation with that offer.
Like any other grant that is offered on application, you have to meet them halfway by filling in the form and make an application.
The RUWSF Grant was made available to clubs at level 3 and below. Therecwas no stipulation regarding being a fully 'Amateur' club and, luckily for some, there was no mention of the Club needing to be a 'Community Club'.
All Knwoing All Seeing
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 07:51
GJ

Good to hear you're not currently in need of a survival fund, however you aren't borrowing anything, you are being given in a the majority of cases £50K to pay for essential items and bills incurred whilst your club has been effectively shut for 12 months and to help get you thru the summer when we can hopefully re-open. Its the very definition of free money and any club that didn't apply must be in rude financial health as they have literally become the embodiment of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Edited by PiffPaff - 23 Mar 2021 at 07:54
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 10:45
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

GJ

Good to hear you're not currently in need of a survival fund, however you aren't borrowing anything, you are being given in a the majority of cases £50K to pay for essential items and bills incurred whilst your club has been effectively shut for 12 months and to help get you thru the summer when we can hopefully re-open. Its the very definition of free money and any club that didn't apply must be in rude financial health as they have literally become the embodiment of looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Agreed, I cannot imagine there is any club at this level who wouldn't want a £50k gift - so one can only assume it is negligence/ineptitude on the part of clubs not on the list.
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic