National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Biggest Championship/National One upsets ever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggest Championship/National One upsets ever
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 22:54
After Pirates’ win at the weekend I was just trying to think of the biggest upsets ever in our division. My top 5 would be:

1. Cornish Pirates v Saracens 2021 - According to some rugby pundits this would be an “automatic return to the Premiership for Saracens”. A few eyebrows were raised when Sarries lost twice to Ealing in pre-season but they had emphatically beaten Coventry twice just before the season to seemingly justify the almost arrogant assumptions of the pundits. However they hadn’t bargained for what awaited them at the Mennaye. Pirates, probably fired up by Dicky Evans’ article in the week and the feeling that we’re just a “bump in the road”, bettered the 3 time European Champions in the set-piece and out enthused them all over the pitch. Sarries should be grateful that there weren’t 5,000 Cornishmen there. Welcome to the Championship boys. AARGH!.

2. Exeter v Harlequins 2006 - Chiefs beating Quins now would be expected but back in 05-06 it was certainly not. Harlequins had the likes of Andrew Mehrtens, Ugo Monye and Nick Easter in their side and had hammered Exeter by over 60 points in the reverse fixture. They had won their first 19 league games and had the likes of Chris Robshaw and Mike Brown in reserve. The Chiefs were playing at the County Ground at the time and by all accounts it was a mud bath. That might have been a leveller but Exeter won by 13 points to 8 and as it turned out handed Quins their one and only loss of the season. 

3. Cornish Pirates v Bristol 2015 - Bristol’s record at the Mennaye was dreadful but this was probably the biggest humiliation. This was when Bristol were buying ‘galacticos’ to try and get promotion. Their team that day included the likes of David Lemi, Dwayne Peel and Ian Evans and yet got turned over by the Pirates who were then coached by Ian Davies. I remember this game because at the time CP had a long injury list and had a very young and inexperienced side. Bristol leaked 45 points and went home with their undefeated record smashed. Looking at the Pirates team sheet that day it was Marlen Walker’s debut - he was the only survivor in the team that beat Saracens on Saturday. 

4. Jersey v London Irish 2017 - This was LI’s only defeat in their first season in the Championship. Again they were in dominant form and looked odds-on to go unbeaten. Jersey were having a decent season but they weren’t given much of a hope against Irish. Jersey won the game late on in front of over 3,000 fans. 

5. Jersey v Worcester 2015 - Worcs and Bristol were obliterating everyone in 14/15 and Wuss coming into this game had won 15 games in a row, all with try bonus points. Jersey that season only won 8 matches and finished in the bottom half. Warriors had their first team out and got turned over. 

An honourable mention would go to Donny who against all odds won twice at Ashton Gate in the 2016 season. 

Finally, I know they weren’t league matches but Mose beating both Chiefs and Leeds in the EDF Trophy im 2009 was a stunning achievement. 

Edited by Donnyknightfan - 08 Mar 2021 at 22:55
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 23:36
Cov beating Newcastle in 1996 was up there, for me anyway.
Just look at all the internationals Newcastle fielded that day.

Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 23:43
Blues beating a slightly better Newcastle team in the same season! Wink And what a Blues superstar team that was too with 6,500 in attendance.

The citing commissioners who’d be busy weekend to weekend! 1:15mins punch on Murray.

The days where league 2 had great BBC coverage!

Edited by The Blues - 08 Mar 2021 at 23:58
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 23:48
From recent Bedford memory, Bedford beating Bristol 29-23 away from home on opening day of 2015 season (where Bristol were ultimately promoted and lost one other game) is our biggest upset. If we’d have held on to beat Worcester in the playoff semi that year in a game we so should’ve won I think that would make the top 5.

Before Saturday’s result, Pertemps Bees beating Wasps in the cup is normally regarded as the biggest upset of the national 1 era.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 00:01
Blues biggest loss probably away against Halifax in the cup! Was a scenic ground, so wasn’t all bad!
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 07:08

Finally, I know they weren’t league matches but Mose beating both Chiefs and Leeds in the EDF Trophy im 2009 was a stunning achievement. 
We also beat London Welsh in that cup run in QF. 
Cauliflower ear.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 09:05
Originally posted by kingsheathlad kingsheathlad wrote:

We also beat London Welsh in that cup run in QF. 

The Moseley vs Exeter Chiefs match was a double header due to fixture congestion caused by the hard cold winter in early 2009.

I believe our fixture that season at Old Deer Park had also been frozen off and that when the EDF quarter-final draw pitted London Welsh against Mose we proposed that be a double header but Welsh declined, and the league match was eventually fulfilled at Esher RFC due to the start of the cricket season at Old Deer Park.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 09:50
Great memories. Thanks for posting this.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:17
Wonderful memories I was lucky enough to be at both the Jersey matches that made the shortlist. My own favourite was the Jersey win away in Bristol in March 2018 when I was one of the few away supporters going daft in that brilliant stadium.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 09 Mar 2021 at 10:20
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:17
Not sure if it qualifies to be included in this, but I remember the rugby club of the village of Berry Hill, in the Forest of Dean, defeating the then mighty London Welsh in the John Player Cup. 
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:30
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Blues beating a slightly better Newcastle team in the same season! Wink And what a Blues superstar team that was too with 6,500 in attendance.

The citing commissioners who’d be busy weekend to weekend! 1:15mins punch on Murray.

Only 11 internationals in the Newcastle team that day, we beat 13... 12 after John Bentley was red carded WinkWink
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 14:40
Not the Championship but Division One side Pertemps Bees shocked Premiership Wasps with a 28-24 victory in the Powergen Cup quarter-final back in February, 2004
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 14:47
Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Only 11 internationals in the Newcastle team that day, we beat 13... 12 after John Bentley was red carded WinkWink
I knew someone would be along to correct it before too long Wink
Surprised you didn't mention the crowd figure too...

Edited by Kimbo - 09 Mar 2021 at 14:49
Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 23:44
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Blues beating a slightly better Newcastle team in the same season! Wink And what a Blues superstar team that was too with 7,500 in attendance.

I knew someone would be along to correct it before too long Wink
Surprised you didn't mention the crowd figure too...

Not necessarily number of internationals but whom they were who wanted to face up to Inga Tuigamala.

It is interesting to see how many international stars were in the top clubs in that era.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 07:50
Originally posted by Puli. Puli. wrote:

Not sure if it qualifies to be included in this, but I remember the rugby club of the village of Berry Hill, in the Forest of Dean, defeating the then mighty London Welsh in the John Player Cup. 
No, that definitely doesn't count Wink
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 09:01
Richmond beating CP twice in 2016/17 season after promotion and multiple losses at the start of the season. 
Let’s hope there’ll be deja by on Saturday.Wink
pappashanga
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 09:05
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

Richmond beating CP twice in 2016/17 season after promotion and multiple losses at the start of the season. 
Let’s hope there’ll be deja by on Saturday.Wink

Pirates have a pretty poor record at the RAG - bit of a bogey venue for us. I remember the game at The Mennaye - Richmond were very good and Pirates were knocked off their game (not unlike Sarries on Saturday). 
Capt Sparrow View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cornish Pirates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Capt Sparrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 09:56
I don't usually make predictions but I am a bit uneasy about Pirates at the RAG this week, not our favourite venue given our past results up there. 
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 10:38
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

Originally posted by Puli. Puli. wrote:

No, that definitely doesn't count Wink

Just look who rose to the bait Smile .... I remember it so well as I’m sure you do Mark 
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
DGS Old Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DGS Old Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 14:58
Does Darlington Mowden Park (level 5 at that time) beating Roslyn Park (Level 2 at that time) on 2nd Jan 2000 in the Tetley Bitter cup count? 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic