National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Match programmes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan Foster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Match programmes
    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:13
At Fylde we're looking at the issue of match programmes. We've produced a 36 or 40 page printed programme for many years, with the usual content - teams (of course), column from the Head Coach, match preview featuring the visitors, league tables, reports from recent senior matches (1sts, 2nds, 3rds etc), mini-junior stuff, recent action photos, player news, community activities etc. Most but not all of this is recycled from the club's website, social media channels, NCA news and so on.

These are sold at £2 or distributed freely to people who dine at the pre-match meal. With advertising and sales, we cover the costs of production (by Minuteman) and make a very small amount of profit. It takes quite a lot of work to do all this and we're wondering whether it's worth the effort given that the info is all available elsewhere. Maybe a simple old fashioned team sheet handed out freely on admission would suffice ... or is this too radical?

My question. Has any NCA club moved to a digital only version and, if so, what has been the spectator reaction? Or any other solution? 
An academic is someone who sees something working perfectly in practice & wonders if it will work in theory
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:46
I believe Chester have done this in the past and going back a number of years Rugby Lions had their's published in the local newspaper. 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 13:09
Originally posted by Allan Foster Allan Foster wrote:

At Fylde we're looking at the issue of match programmes. We've produced a 36 or 40 page printed programme for many years, with the usual content - teams (of course), column from the Head Coach, match preview featuring the visitors, league tables, reports from recent senior matches (1sts, 2nds, 3rds etc), mini-junior stuff, recent action photos, player news, community activities etc. Most but not all of this is recycled from the club's website, social media channels, NCA news and so on.

These are sold at £2 or distributed freely to people who dine at the pre-match meal. With advertising and sales, we cover the costs of production (by Minuteman) and make a very small amount of profit. It takes quite a lot of work to do all this and we're wondering whether it's worth the effort given that the info is all available elsewhere. Maybe a simple old fashioned team sheet handed out freely on admission would suffice ... or is this too radical?

My question. Has any NCA club moved to a digital only version and, if so, what has been the spectator reaction? Or any other solution? 

Not quite what you asked Allan but I know a number of non-league football clubs went this route ahead of the Covid restrictions and the number seemed to increase suggesting general approval. Most of my football supporting pals were quite happy with this except one who is a long-standing programme collector (which seems to be more of a football thing anyway?).

Personally I gave up on programmes (football and rugby) years ago as they are by their nature largely out of date by match day but I have always been quite happy to pay a few pence for a team sheet when available.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 14:02
Worthing used to have a very good glossy programme, full of adverts, features, seasonal league details etc.

Unfortunately, the company that produced them (as part of sponsorship) decided not to continue. Then there was a season or two with a generic glossy programme (2 or 3 versions a season) with an A4 paper insert giving team details.

Last season it went digital online, tried it once but was too much hassle - I prefer having something to read in the period before kick-off/rail trip home but online only seems to be the way of things these days.
RAID ON
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 14:10
At Moseley we have match day programs which were for a time £3,then I think free with ground admission and for season ticket holders for one season, then back to £3.if you booked the pre match meal it came free with  it.
I would  imagine there is more money made from the advertising in it, than from ones sold on the day.
It's an income stream, so clubs need all the income available in these hard times. 
Cauliflower ear.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 15:46
Chester produce one on  their website for each match it is in the same format and has all the usual match day information .I would think it is set up as a programme on Adobe with all the advertising it just needs someone to up date the pages. If you have the right programmes you would still be able to sell advertising without having to go to printers every home game.  
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 15:59

The Worthing digital one is good

I seem to remember they had it streaming on the TV's in the bar as well 
Pace Power Perfection
shotgunner View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotgunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 17:30
For programs check out @sandbach rugby club
Deva Delinquent View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deva Delinquent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 18:52
We've been using online programmes at Chester from the 19/20 season via Flipbook. People on the mailing list are normally sent an email with a link a day or two before the game - I seem to remember posting some links on here for travelling supporters to access. I think our social media outlets also posted links, but it's so long ago I can't remember if this is true.

Content is the same as when we were producing a physical copy, but with none of the costs associated with printing.

I like accessing the programmes this way, but there were a few grumbles from some of the more senior members. I noticed the links for the two games I checked before posting are now unavailable. Again, with it being so long ago I can't recall if the link allowed you to download a copy or not. 
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 20:21
Originally posted by Deva Delinquent Deva Delinquent wrote:

I like accessing the programmes this way, but there were a few grumbles from some of the more senior members. I noticed the links for the two games I checked before posting are now unavailable. Again, with it being so long ago I can't recall if the link allowed you to download a copy or not. 

That is the worry with all things digital is that clubs rarely have any kind of archival policy for anything on their website or social media outlets and they became an electronic version of 'chip paper'. 

To preserve club histories there needs to be thought given to perserving websites, social media posts and digital programmes. 

I know in the Football sphere there are now companies who will print off a digital programme to provide copies to collectors who want a physical item to hold, file and perserve. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
IonMan View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IonMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 12:19
You only need to look around the bar before the match to see many people reading through the programme to realise it is worth the effort - as long as you can make the advertising pay for it. Yes a lot of work by a few individuals during the week but worthwhile.
Pilier View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 12:36
The Worthing digital is excellent!

Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 13:37
Originally posted by Pilier Pilier wrote:

The Worthing digital is excellent!

Basically the same content as the old paper version (which I much preferred)
RAID ON
Gargrave Green View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gargrave Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 13:29
Digital programmes...............Good Heavens, whatever next?  We're only just getting used to decimalisation up here in the scrattin shed Wink
It's funny how many people get mad when a sentence doesn't end as they carrot juice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic