National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Disciplinary time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disciplinary time
    Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 19:00
It looks like Bedford will be borrowing a new #9 for three weeks, after Northampton's Connor Tupai was cited for the tip tackle that dumped Coventry's Will Owen on his head last weekend.

Edited by OldNick - 11 Mar 2021 at 19:01
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 21:25
There was another hearing this week, involving Toby Williams (Nottingham v Ealing):

corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 07:33
I struggle to understand why there should be such a wide discrepancy in the sanctions applied by the RFU in recent cases:

Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 09:43
Agreed, we  feel hard done by at Donny
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:04
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:45
The Mark Best document is pretty gruesome, I won't quote all of it, but the below is...bad. Exacerbated by (according to the RFU) no show of remorse.

Even allowing for the fact that this was a dynamic situation, we were unable to accept that Mr Best could not tell the difference between the ball and the face of his opponent. He said that he could not see the ball but yet, as he freely admitted, he nevertheless decided to try and rip what he was holding. Thus, with his hand on the face of his victim, perilously close to the eyes, and with a finger or fingers in the nostril or nostrils he ripped the opponents head up using significant force. This ripping action caused the gaping wound that we have described and which we have seen in person.
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:52
I’ve been reading quite a lot of these documents as part of my research for my uni dissertation. 
I’ve seen some pretty gruesome stuff but the worst seems to be in the very amateur games, I was surprised that there was such an incident in a Championship game. I don’t see how Doncaster could feel hard done to in a sanction of the type given in the Best incident. No excuse for that. 
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 17:18

Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

The Mark Best document is pretty gruesome, I won't quote all of it, but the below is...bad. Exacerbated by (according to the RFU) no show of remorse.

Even allowing for the fact that this was a dynamic situation, we were unable to accept that Mr Best could not tell the difference between the ball and the face of his opponent. He said that he could not see the ball but yet, as he freely admitted, he nevertheless decided to try and rip what he was holding. Thus, with his hand on the face of his victim, perilously close to the eyes, and with a finger or fingers in the nostril or nostrils he ripped the opponents head up using significant force. This ripping action caused the gaping wound that we have described and which we have seen in person.

I wonder what a criminal court would make of that?

Is the affected player going down that route?
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 18:18
Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I wonder what a criminal court would make of that?

Is the affected player going down that route?

Don't know about that, but he did get up and hit the next ruck apparently - pretty tough for a 10!
What is frustrating from a Pirates perspective is that, had the ref or assistants seen this, the player would have been sent off and the outcome of the game may well have been different (Donny won by a couple of points). 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 19:04
My concern in all this was the difference in the sanction between 1 week for an offence which was admitted as intentional foul play by a player who apparently was not defined as as a repeat offender whilst at the same time not defined as having a good record and the sanctions applied to the other lads whose offences were apparently accepted as unintentional. 
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 20:13
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

My concern in all this was the difference in the sanction between 1 week for an offence which was admitted as intentional foul play by a player who apparently was not defined as as a repeat offender whilst at the same time not defined as having a good record and the sanctions applied to the other lads whose offences were apparently accepted as unintentional. 

I believe that incidents involving contact with the face/head will attract a greater sanction than tripping of players - unless the act of tripping is proven to cause an injury that leads to a player leaving the pitch.

As the David Ward disciplinary report says:

This type of foul play is at a lower level of gravity relative to other acts of foul play, such as foul
play to the head.
The Panel could not identify any feature that could justify a Mid-Range entry. Of note, the Panel
was unable accept that the trip aggravated an existing injury.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 20:34
Thanks Steve. I'm still at a loss to understand how intentional foul play can ever be considered less serious than other rugby incidents which have been accepted as unintentional but just happened to involve head contact. 
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:21
If a player slaps someone around the face with an open hand, causing no injury apart from a little redening, that is intentional foul play, and contact with the head. It 8s however essentially harmless.

If a player running backwards to take a high ball crashes through the legs 8f a jumping player, it can bring him down on his head/shoulders, or back from a significant height, potentially ending his career or worse.

One is totally deliberate, the other careless or reckless. Which 8s the most serious? 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 21:19
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 13:06
Looks like it might have triggered Curry's decision to retire at 25!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic