National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Why PRL are so desperate to ring fence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 07:15
Totally agree Cherub

And just imagine if, instead of a parachute payment, the promoted team got that money (yeah, yeah, PRL shares and all that aside) it would give more teams, at this level, the incentive to push for it.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:48
It is a pity that changes to the pyramid do not require a vote of all members rather than just the council.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 15:57
So, assuming Saracens and Ealing go up that would leave 9 of this year's Championship clubs for next season. Assuming London Scottish return that's 10. Do we think 2 more will be promoted to get back to 12, or, hold on tight, how about 4 to make 14.  Also, I guess though not as big, could the top 4 cope with the step up into Championship level finance. I am not looking forward to next season,  I fear for the Championship in the coming years. Premiership 2nd division with not required Premiership youngsters is my guess. The true identity of clubs will disappear, with lots of team changes every week. Hope I am proved wrong though. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 17:36
The problem is that we have not played a season, so who would you promote.
Leeds would have a case that it should be them - but they would be a totally unknown quantity whever they play.

Otherwise we are talking Rosslyn Park, Rams, Chinnor and Blackheath to make a 14 team league.

Rosslyn Paerk andBlackheath need no introduction.
Rams came up from National 2 and surprised everyone - including probably themselves.
Chinnor are a narly little club that have been doing very well in National 1. They beat Ampthill at home in their encounter at National 1. One of the coldest winds I have encountered blowing across the ground.

There is going to be a major shake up of the league at the end of next season. If theChampionship could survive for one seaosn with 10 sides - perhaps playing each other 3 times then it would make life a lot easier - and we would know how good Leeds really are.

14 seeems to be the number the NCA and RFU have agreed for maximum league size, but I would argue that  there is a case for a 16 team championship.

But I am not sure there are 44 clubs wanting to travel the length and breadth of the country - so I am not sure that National 1 would be viable.  It might be that it is 6 up and 10 down to the new regional leauges. But if there are it would be 6 up and no relegation in National 1. With two up and no relegation at National 2

Sweeney Delenda Est
Geoff DC View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geoff DC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 17:42
Too many London/SE teams in that scenario Camquin
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 18:41
CQ, RFU wanted 12 Team NCA Leagues but NCA argued for 14, so doubt it will go back to 16.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 19:25
Technically Rams and Chinnor are both in South Western Division.
It is sort of a fact of life, though Hockey has 7 out of 11 London and South East clubs in its top league.

Could all change next year. The other clubs just need to do better. Darlington and Plymouth could easily be in contention.

I know the RFU wanted 12, but getting rid of the third National league and the associated travel funding might be sufficient. The big question is how much support the Championship clubs would get, the RFU might simply take the current reduced sums and divide that by 16 instead of 12.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 20:14
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

So, assuming Saracens and Ealing go up that would leave 9 of this year's Championship clubs for next season. Assuming London Scottish return that's 10. Do we think 2 more will be promoted to get back to 12, or, hold on tight, how about 4 to make 14.  Also, I guess though not as big, could the top 4 cope with the step up into Championship level finance. I am not looking forward to next season,  I fear for the Championship in the coming years. Premiership 2nd division with not required Premiership youngsters is my guess. The true identity of clubs will disappear, with lots of team changes every week. Hope I am proved wrong though. 

That's quite an assumption GJ (your first one). As introduced, the recent story is in the Daily Mail and is highly speculative, and even that doesn't say that a second club would be promoted this season (if there was it would make a bit of a farce of the play-off). The article claims the 14th team would be added 'in due course'.

If it was just one up this summer, with a 14th club to follow in 2022, that makes next season hard to manage: when would the 14th club's identity be confirmed, and would they have to win the Championship next season in order to seal the deal? What would happen if they didn't? What if more than one club want to bid for the 14th spot? (seems unlikely, but you never know)

I'd expect LS to be back in the Champ mix by September, but bringing up clubs from Nat 1 after they haven't played for 18 months would present lots of challenges...

I don't pretend to know the answers; the future looks somewhat murky. Confused

Edited by islander - 15 Apr 2021 at 09:10
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 20:21
Originally posted by Dotcom Dotcom wrote:

Too many London/SE teams in that scenario Camquin

Where you are based should have no bearing on who plays in what division.

Camquin - As for the suggestion Leeds would have a case - haven't you got a short memory - they were lucky they weren't thrown out 2018-19

Edited by Raider999 - 14 Apr 2021 at 20:22
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 22:48
I am aware, but the last season they played was in the Championship.
Even if they failed to pay their players.

Had we had a National One season they were suggesting they put out a team with significant numbers of university students who normally play against Loughborough's second XV.
I was expecting them to struggle.

But without results they could claim that as they would not have been relegated were the league expanded this season so should be considered for promotion.

But if the expansion is at the end of next season, we would know how good Leeds are.
Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by Guinness John Guinness John wrote:

Surely that should read - "assuming the Top Two Teams in the league go up" as far as I see it there are two teams ahead of Sarries currently, and still will be after this weekend, and Pirates are on the same points as them.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 13:27
Point noted. That's the trouble with assuming. I assumed those two were the only ones with the financial backing to be able to compete. No disrespect to anyone else. If Ealing beat Saracens on the 24th that would make things really interesting. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 00:37
I have always held that at all levels of sport every one has to play what is in front of them and do the best they can. The PRL and the RFU have consistently undermined any concept of fairness through what is little more than cynical manipulation of the game at the higher tiers.
The best thing I can imagine is for a club to come up through the leagues to reach the highest levels. Many of you support clubs that have done just this. 25 years ago Ealing were playing at Horsenden Hill in Perivale struggling to survive. This is a club founded in 1871. It very nearly folded a couple of times, but it didn’t.
A not so small group of members loved it and worked flippin hard to make it better and season after season that commitment showed in the dedication to the game and its community spirit. Many of you guys know what that is - you see it your clubs. If you have been around Ealing Rugby for any period of time you have seen that spirit lift the club up through ALL the national leagues. A key part of its success was its unwavering commitment to young players. I would contend that this was amongst the best in country. A quick thumbnail calculation suggests over 15,000 kids got to experience mini and youth rugby through the club and its volunteers. It is a grass roots rugby club in the finest tradition of the game.
Some of you know that a key part to the 1st team success is down to Trailfinders and Mike Gooley and their generous support of the whole club, but the players, coaches and club members all played their part too. I believe the support came not from the success of the first team, but from appreciating the clubs spirit and desire to be better.

I cannot express anywhere near enough just how much I would love to see Ealing Trailfinders win this league. It would be two fingers up to those who want to ring fence and seal the deal on a PRL rugby cartel and show every club in the leagues what is possible if you work for your dreams.
To do it they have to beat one of the strongest sides in Europe. Our friends in Cornwall have already done this, Donnie might, but Ealing have to... Fire and Flare boys

Edited by dumbape - 16 Apr 2021 at 12:54
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 09:18
English Rugby is in a dire state as reflected by the results at the International Six Nations and the European Champions Cup. Promoting Ealing who have a very small core of support of 500 fans and their facilities at the ground do not meet PRL criteria. White City????? lousy place to watch football or rugby. Saracens were the best team in Europe and have been missed in the PRL. If Ealing beat Saracens which is very unlikely then they should be given the chance to play in the PRL. I just hope for the future of English Rugby that we do not have to see another London Welsh fiasco.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 10:20
I find it laughable when people use the most recent set of results to suit their own narrative. Six months ago England were lifting the trophy but now they are in a dire state.

Ealing’s crowd size is just the easiest stick to beat them with but the idea that crowd size alone should be the sole arbiter of success is flawed. Why bother with the Prem, just give the trophy to Leicester each year! 
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by dumbape dumbape wrote:

I have always held that at all levels of sport every one has to play what is in front of them and do the best they can. The PRL and the RFU have consistently undermined any concept of fairness through what is little more than cynical manipulation of the game at the higher tiers.
The best thing I am imagine is for a club to come up through the leagues to reach the highest levels. Many of you support clubs that have done just this. 25 years ago Ealing were playing at Horsenden Hill in Perivale struggling to survive. This is a club founded in 1871. It very nearly folded a couple of times, but it didn’t.
A not so small group of members loved it and worked flippin hard to make it better and season after season that commitment showed in the dedication to the game and its community spirit. Many of you guys know what that is - you see it your clubs. If you have been around Ealing Rugby for any period of time you have seen that spirit lift the club up through ALL the national leagues. A key part of its success was its unwavering commitment to young players. I would contend that this was amongst the best in country. A quick thumbnail calculation suggests something like over 15,000 kids got to experience mini and youth rugby through the club and its volunteers. It is a grass roots rugby club in the finest tradition of the game.
Some of you know that a key part to the 1st team success is down to Trailfinders and Mike Gooley and their generous support of the whole club, but the players, coaches and club members all played their part too. I believe is support came not from the success of the first team, but from appreciating the clubs spirit and desire to be better.

I cannot express anywhere near enough just how much I would love to see Ealing Trailfinders win this league. It would be two fingers up to those who want to ring fence and seal the deal on a PRL rugby cartel and show every club in the leagues what is possible if you work for your dreams.
To do it they have to beat one of the strongest sides in Europe. Our friends in Cornwall have already done this, Donnie might, but Ealing have to... Fire and Flare boys

Very well said dumbape 
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:14
I find it laughable when people use the most recent set of post results to suit their own narrative Wink
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:23
PRL are not a cartel.
If they were it would be illegal.
I believe this has been decided in court, when challenged by Rotherham and Londn Welsh.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:50
So how would you describe a group of entities who own a dominant share of the market, and who collude to prevent free entry into that market?
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:54
Dumbape I applaud your support for your club. However my interpretation of a grass roots club 'in the finest tradition of the game' is one built from the ground up rather than reliant on a multi millionaire buying in a 1st XV squad -with almost 50% changes each season- to buy league table success. Without doubt since establishing themselves as by some way the second best team in the Championship they have now started to develop an Academy and Women's section which the cynic in me could suggest box ticking for Premiership entry. If not why not do this previously? The number of young players who have played at the club is admirable and is repeated in many similar size clubs -but has no link to the current success of the 1st XV. Despite beating Saracens twice in the Trailfinders Cup in pre season, less than 300 people paid to watch the first home Championship match of the season. It may be possible to buy a team to play in the Premiership but it does not seem possible to buy hearts and minds of supporters. I really hope they gain promotion for all the money , effort and passion Mr Gooley has invested. But to suggest this is an example of a community club come good I am afraid is rewriting too much history.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic