National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Why PRL are so desperate to ring fence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 12:38
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

So how would you describe a group of entities who own a dominant share of the market, and who collude to prevent free entry into that market?
CVC?
Our City,
Our Club
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 12:54
Ealing have had an academy programme in some form for a while since potentially 2012?
Im not sure about the womens
But the club is massive, one of the biggest in London? 
Gate wise yes there are low, but in terms of playing numbers from across the club it's very impressive.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 12:59
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

I find it laughable when people use the most recent set of post results to suit their own narrative Wink

Spoken like a true Bedfordian! WinkWink
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 13:01
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

I find it laughable when people use the most recent set of results to suit their own narrative. Six months ago England were lifting the trophy but now they are in a dire state.

Ealing’s crowd size is just the easiest stick to beat them with but the idea that crowd size alone should be the sole arbiter of success is flawed. Why bother with the Prem, just give the trophy to Leicester each year! 

I quite agree.
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 13:28
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Dumbape I applaud your support for your club. However my interpretation of a grass roots club 'in the finest tradition of the game' is one built from the ground up rather than reliant on a multi millionaire buying in a 1st XV squad -with almost 50% changes each season- to buy league table success. Without doubt since establishing themselves as by some way the second best team in the Championship they have now started to develop an Academy and Women's section which the cynic in me could suggest box ticking for Premiership entry. If not why not do this previously? The number of young players who have played at the club is admirable and is repeated in many similar size clubs -but has no link to the current success of the 1st XV. Despite beating Saracens twice in the Trailfinders Cup in pre season, less than 300 people paid to watch the first home Championship match of the season. It may be possible to buy a team to play in the Premiership but it does not seem possible to buy hearts and minds of supporters. I really hope they gain promotion for all the money , effort and passion Mr Gooley has invested. But to suggest this is an example of a community club come good I am afraid is rewriting too much history.

You could not be more wrong... ETFC have been pioneers at the junior club leveller decades and it has nothing to do with promotion. Girls Rugby was developed at the club nearly 20 years and I doubt if many clubs have put so many volunteers through coaching and refereeing badges at Mini and Junior level in order to manage safety and the quality of play. The Academy has certainly been around for more than a decade as part of our player pathway. The club was a pioneer in Child Protection and in the early days of the government scheme ran its' CRB programme directly with the folks in Liverpool before it was more widely adopted by clubs . The club has had community programmes in place again for 20 years with trained volunteers working in schools across the area over the past 10 years this has been extended as the club grew.

Ask Ben Ward how long he has been with club... you might be surprised. He was an outstanding player for us as a young man and now is our Director of Rugby... I see that as home grown talent and clear demonstration of the clubs spirit. Sure there is player rotation and very many players have come to us and been developed going onto to other clubs at all levels including the premiership why is this a bad thing? Some won't meet the clubs requirements or find the competition for shirts too challenging and move on. Others thrive and the results of this can be seen in results. There are hordes of rugby clubs in the area and this undoubtedly dilutes attendances as do all the other distractions like football etc. Remember too that three other much high profile clubs have been our competition during our journey - Richmond, Rosslyn Park and London Scottish who all played at the highest level back when we were running in the mud of Horsenden Hill.

I'm am being a little defensive here, but it is all to easy to misjudge situations when you don't have the information. Another point to make is that MG is no mans fool. If he had wanted a premiership team 20 odd years ago there were plenty of clubs that would have been far better options! What has happened is down to sweat, effort and ambition, with a lot of careful planning and a commitment to be the best we can be.

HTH              
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 13:40
Marigold, what is the source of your 300 users for watching the stream? That is very interesting info that I hadn't seen.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 13:50
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

PRL are not a cartel.
If they were it would be illegal.
I believe this has been decided in court, when challenged by Rotherham and Londn Welsh.

Can't remember what happened with Roth, but it's worth noting that Welsh didn't get to court as the opposition folded in advance.

keep the faith
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 23:45
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

So how would you describe a group of entities who own a dominant share of the market, and who collude to prevent free entry into that market?

A successful business?

marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 06:59
Gerg  all Championship clubs receive the figures for all Championship matches. A work colleague is closely involved with one of the clubs.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 09:40
It would be interesting to see what all the figures are especially for Saracens. I can not believe any match will will have a huge audiance. Does anyone know any figures of any live stream so far.

Edited by No 7 - 17 Apr 2021 at 09:41
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic