National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round IV Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 19:33
Strange ole game. Nottingham better than the scoreline suggested.
Some silly errors as usual, but some good stuff.
Cov front row very variable as usual.
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 19:34
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

And thats FT. 0-5

Wasn't watching, but home side's Twitter indicates they scored 4T?
maire23 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maire23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 21:07
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

And thats FT. 0-5

It was 1-5. Nottingham did indeed score 4 tries. (Graham x 2, Price and Evans) 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 21:51
Yes, correct; apologies.
Our City,
Our Club
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 21:55
Westcoaster I absolutely agree with you! Any competitive sport is about winning and until they take "win bonuses" out of player contracts and replace it with "playing nice stuff bonuses" it will always be the way. Don't get me wrong I love watching attractive rugby like everyone else but I'd rather my team won
covchopper View Drop Down
First XV squad
First XV squad

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote covchopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 00:37
Bedford fans must have changed quite a bit as I can clearly recall Bedford coming to Cov a few years ago with a big pack and outmauling us to a win much to the great delight of the travelling Bedford fans who didn’t seem concerned by the style of play.  I suppose they can’t have been true Bedford fans then. 
C'mon Cov
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 07:43
Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

"Pretty sure the sole purpose is to entertain the punters. Professional sport only exists for this reason"

I think many would disagree with this - i do. Yes, people like entertaining losers but people remember winning champions. They are the ones with the names in the history books.  Professional sport is about winning, entertainment is a secondary aim for any DoR.  No doubt this could be the subject of heated debate in The Cricketers and many other similar hostelries- remember those Confused
I fully endorse this its surely far better to win an ugly game than lose one. Missed tackles and dropped passes fall into the category of errors in my book and the natural sanction for repeated errors is to substitute the culprit and drop them from the team. Infringements of the laws of the game whether its offside, tackle, maul or scrum offences are ultimately cheating and the referees should properly deal with repeat offenders by the prescribed sanctions. IMO Blues were the more attractive side yesterday but they lost a game they should probably have won because of repeated infringements of the laws of the game. Jersey are clearly struggling at the present time and this was most clearly demonstrated during that daft period when Blues were down to 12 men and outside of the uncontested scrums Jersey struggled to convert a 7 v 4 numeric advantage. I was pleased Jersey tried to go for the fourth try bonus near the end even though the line out was over-thrown. Rich Lane was my Man of the Match and is still a wonderful talent. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 09:35
If the Bedford pack is as weak and inexperienced as has been suggested then I suspect the coaches and players think playing a loose free flowing fame is their best chance of winning - not to entertain the speccys
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:12
Originally posted by covchopper covchopper wrote:

Bedford fans must have changed quite a bit as I can clearly recall Bedford coming to Cov a few years ago with a big pack and outmauling us to a win much to the great delight of the travelling Bedford fans who didn’t seem concerned by the style of play.  I suppose they can’t have been true Bedford fans then. 

It would have been just beating Coventry due to the history between the 2 teams if true.

Sides can play any way they wish, but I think Jersey have gone backwards from the progress of the last 2 seasons, where they were an exciting 15 man team. 

The difference as I mentioned before, is Blues always have a back line and they use the maul in a few different ways:

1. Maul for a try
2. Break off and attack from it
3. Suck in the opposition to launch the backs

They will do the later 2 even when the maul is going forward. Jersey had no intent but to try and prove that older, stronger and bigger players were marginally better than some players experiencing professional rugby for the first time. 

The referee was poor, better referees communicate with the players to avoid infringements, he was silent and just blew his whistle and that was for both sides. In the game Blues had 14 players for 20 mins and 12 players for 5 mins, which isn’t normal for such a tight score line. 

The referee once spotted Jersey blocking at the maul but allowed them to regularly bypass players with the 2nd row transferring it to the back of the maul rather than it go via the middle man.

The joke was the last 2 scrums Blues drove Jersey backwards, who went to ground and Blues should’ve been awarded penalties but got nothing.

Blues lost the game as the referee decided to put the Blues down to 12 and then as mentioned with 4 backs Jersey could still not work out a 3 man overlap until 5 mins had passed. The yellow at the scrum was not required (he had been on for less than 5 mins) and actually not wanted by Jersey either (they appeared to be moaning to the referee as much as Blues).

What is surprising is when you see the names of the Jersey backs they are good and exciting players, they also didn’t have 2 of our former players who would be in the Blues match day squad now.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:22
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

If the Bedford pack is as weak and inexperienced as has been suggested then I suspect the coaches and players think playing a loose free flowing fame is their best chance of winning - not to entertain the speccys

Clearly you have never seen us play, you can only see the comments on this board that would regard us as the team looking to play the most expansive way and that hasn’t changed over the last 15 years.

It is true we are struggling with the maul defence and when we have to stick on a 4th choice prop recently turned 19, the other 20 year old is doing really well having to play for pretty much the full 80 mins.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:39
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Clearly you have never seen us play, you can only see the comments on this board that would regard us as the team looking to play the most expansive way and that hasn’t changed over the last 15 years.

It is true we are struggling with the maul defence and when we have to stick on a 4th choice prop recently turned 19, the other 20 year old is doing really well having to play for pretty much the full 80 mins.

Although I am an Ampthill supporter, albeit now living in North Yorkshire, I was born in Bedford. And I have watched Bedford play rugby many many times at Goldington Road. And because it was also once one of the top clubs in the country, it has always enjoyed good support. But to argue that the current good support is down to the way you currently play your rugby is a bit of a stretch. I have been at games when the Bedford faithful have roared on a Bedford lineout just 10 meters from the opposition's try line. They want to see a catch and drive and score as much as any other group of rugby team supporters. I think you touched on the real reason why you don't like the rolling mauls in your last answer. Bedford currently struggle with defending this move and are giving away too many tries.

Bedford are an excellent team, and they currently have a very exciting back division, highlighted by the first try they scored against Ampthill at Dillingham Park after just two minutes in the first of the two friendlies paid recently. They currently have a long injury list but this will come good and I expect them to soon rise up the table again.........even if it is just to keep up with Ampthill.....................
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:27

Clap
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by Westcoaster Westcoaster wrote:

"Pretty sure the sole purpose is to entertain the punters. Professional sport only exists for this reason"

I think many would disagree with this - i do. Yes, people like entertaining losers but people remember winning champions. They are the ones with the names in the history books.  Professional sport is about winning, entertainment is a secondary aim for any DoR.  No doubt this could be the subject of heated debate in The Cricketers and many other similar hostelries- remember those Confused

I think you missed the point of this post. Sport only exists as a profession for entertainment purposes. If people didn’t find it entertaining and pay to watch it, then it would only exist as means of recreation rather than as a professional sport and winning wouldn’t matter too much anyway. By definition, professional sport exists to entertain. That’s not to say people can’t be entertained by different styles of rugby and winning ugly, but as a core principle that is why professional sport exists in the first place. This year of all years, I’m not bothered by the results. Other years, especially when we had the playoffs, then yes absolutely. But this year for at least 7 teams in the league it’s basically a season of friendlies

Edited by Bluesman11 - 28 Mar 2021 at 13:16
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 11:45

Again, that’s not what we’ve said is it? There will be a core group of fans who support come what may, of which I am one. Travelling fans are likely to be in this subset. And we have a big core fan base. I would say we have about 1500 who would come regardless of anything. This is what we get roughly for any B&I dead rubbers. But there are also a hundreds of people who come for a Saturday afternoon out. I think less of this group of people would come each week if we played dull rugby and our average attendance might drop from around 2500 to closer to 2000

Edited by Bluesman11 - 28 Mar 2021 at 11:47
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:34
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Again, that’s not what we’ve said is it? There will be a core group of fans who support come what may, of which I am one. Travelling fans are likely to be in this subset. And we have a big core fan base. I would say we have about 1500 who would come regardless of anything. This is what we get roughly for any B&I dead rubbers. But there are also a hundreds of people who come for a Saturday afternoon out. I think less of this group of people would come each week if we played dull rugby and our average attendance might drop from around 2500 to closer to 2000

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that Bedford have a great club and a level of support that most clubs would envy. It's always a pleasure to visit Goldington Road - the match day atmosphere is always brilliant. Pirates have had some epic matches there over the years and it's my favourite away ground. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 14:37
Currently Richmond 3 - 0 Saracens 15 minutes gone.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 14:45
Saracens draw level 3-3
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 14:49
and take the lead with a mauled George try, con hits post 3-8
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 14:50
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Saracens draw level 3-3

C'mon the mighty Mond! I'll be delighted if they hold Saracens to no Try Bonus Point.

Edited by gerg_861 - 28 Mar 2021 at 14:51
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 14:59
Ealing vs. Hartpury just ready to kick off. About 10 degrees, overcast, and extremely blustery in West London today. No rain, but the wind should have an impact on the match.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
  Share Topic