National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Roll-up Roll-up its Circus Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roll-up Roll-up its Circus Time
    Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 13:53
Unfortunately, one of the metrics the RFU has been looking at is the numbers watching rugby, which essentially means watching Premiership Rugby.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 13:06
Originally posted by tulip tulip wrote:

Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

It’s not just the domestic activities, it’s the other sports. Cycling, rowing, paddle boarding - sports have multiplied in the same way that TV Channels have. The yoof have so much more choice today than we did 50 years ago. The biggest worry is participation numbers and the richest person will be the one who finds the answer!
50 years ago at Queens Belfast we had 1st,2A,2B,2C(Freshers)and 2D
All in a leagues
No Tv rugby in those days 

I'll also blame Premiership Rugby. I had a coupe of seasons of watching Harlequins when I was free and I was struck by the large number of 20-30 year-old spectators who could or should have been playing rather than watching. How do we make playing social rugby more enjoyable than getting p****d at The Stoop or Welford Road?
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 11:35
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

It’s not just the domestic activities, it’s the other sports. Cycling, rowing, paddle boarding - sports have multiplied in the same way that TV Channels have. The yoof have so much more choice today than we did 50 years ago. The biggest worry is participation numbers and the richest person will be the one who finds the answer!
50 years ago at Queens Belfast we had 1st,2A,2B,2C(Freshers)and 2D
All in a leagues
No Tv rugby in those days 
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 07:24
Bit late to the topic but 2 boys (twins) from Blackheath went to Exeter uni 2 years ago and turned up at rugby to find there had been preselection and they had no chance of getting in the bucs side. They were sent to one side thrown a couple of balls and told to get on with it while the preselected worked with several coaches from the chiefs. These guys were pretty decent age group players but could have been lost to the game but decided to go down to a local club.

So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 23:52
Cambridge still has collegiate rugby. But there is less than there was. I do not think any college has a 2nd XV and many  are now running combined sides.  This is a lot to do with the university taking in fewer public and grammar school boys and more comprehensive school students.

Though the some of the loss of men's sides is made up by the arrival of women's rugby. But with only just 30 members, it is one of the smaller CBs, but possibly the smallest.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 22:46
These days the words Junior Rugby covers age groups up to Under 19, which Clubs often call Colts.

The dropout stages are still the same - at 16 when parents feel the player should make his own way and the years after that when things like girls get in the way.

There is another big dropout when players go to Uni. There is only competitive rugby at most Unis, no social matches, and opportunities for even skilled freshers are limited. The RFU did try a scheme where Clubs could link to a local Uni and offer social rugby but it hasn’t really worked.
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 19:54
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I see mention of mini and junior rugby at clubs, but no mention of "colts" teams as there were back in the day, is there still a route for those who do not go to the academy of a Premiership side?

Yes, there is still plenty of Colt's rugby taking place across the country. The academies aren't really an issue in terms of declining player numbers. Yes, some players leave because they don't get to the level they want, but in all reality, were they ever going to be content playing grassroots rugby?

There's probably more of an issue with young players being 'overloaded' with rugby - it isn't uncommon for 14/15/16 year olds to play/train 5/6 days a week during the September-December window, plus sevens in the spring term. It's a very 'local' issue in terms of co-ordination between schools, clubs CB's and organisers. 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 11:50
And spend millions on "consultations" when they could have put that money into the National team and Premiership - what a waste! 👀🤔
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 11:31
Originally posted by workerbee workerbee wrote:

Can someone explain to me the logic of stating that the clubs want less rugby as a reason to reduce the size of the leagues and then add a cup competition (which no one wants) to fill in the gaps which means the clubs will actually play more games!!

No - logic is sadly missing in doing this.

I believe the RFU make changes every now and again as a justification of their existence
RAID ON
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 11:12
I see mention of mini and junior rugby at clubs, but no mention of "colts" teams as there were back in the day, is there still a route for those who do not go to the academy of a Premiership side?
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2022 at 10:07
Can someone explain to me the logic of stating that the clubs want less rugby as a reason to reduce the size of the leagues and then add a cup competition (which no one wants) to fill in the gaps which means the clubs will actually play more games!!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 21:47
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 18:54
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

planet

As I approach my 70th year and started playing when 7 with full tackling, I know how modern game has changed. Memories.

"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 18:48
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Originally posted by FHLH FHLH wrote:

Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Apparently, players want to play fewer games.

I was brought up on 30+ game seasons - what else do you do on a Saturday afternoon and evening?

Answers on a postcard.
 All this make 26 league games plenty IMHO

26 games would be lovely, thanks.

It was there for the Championship had they wanted it.
The all encompassing 'they'.
Yeah, right.
Our City,
Our Club
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 17:39

Skiing trips
Weekend breaks with lads or family or other half
Stags/weddings
International matches
  • domestic commitments

What planet are you on FFS? Can't afford the first 4, even now. Can't think what domestic committments would take precedence - shopping?

And this is why clubs can't raise 3 or 4 teams - but then now that players are semi-pro they have loose change in their pockets.

So sad.

The planet I inhabit is called the Real World, FHLH... obviously an alien planet from where you're sitting, so much so that you F- & blind when someone whose nostrils are more sensitive to the coffee points out how things are, rather than how you remember them from several decades ago.

For what it's worth I share some of your regret about modern-day 'yoof' being reluctant to commit to things (not just rugby), but that's how it comes across clearly to me, and I have quite strong connections with various clubs from levels 2-9. The level 9 club in question sat top of their league in mid-February, at which point half the back-line announced that they were going travelling & the run of impressive wins came to an abrupt halt...
FHLH View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Cambridge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHLH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 17:06

Skiing trips
Weekend breaks with lads or family or other half
Stags/weddings
International matches
  • domestic commitments

What planet are you on FFS? Can't afford the first 4, even now. Can't think what domestic committments would take precedence - shopping?

And this is why clubs can't raise 3 or 4 teams - but then now that players are semi-pro they have loose change in their pockets.

So sad.
"My father told me big men fall just as quick as little ones, if you put a sword through their hearts."
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 16:49

I was brought up on 30+ game seasons - what else do you do on a Saturday afternoon and evening?

Answers on a postcard.

what else do you do?
  • skiing trips
  • weekend breaks with lads or family or other half
  • stags/weddings
  • international matches
  • domestic commitments
All the above are more prominent now and take away from the old-school of committing to play rugby on the first Saturday in September and thereafter weekly - including Boxing Day - until the end of April... and I think the game's more physical too. All this make 26 league games plenty IMHO

And Easter should be kept clear too - cancellations in N2 this weekend show that some clubs may not manage to meet fixtures. Easter used to be huge in Jersey, loads of touring sides etc, but nowadays many clubs have league commitments and those who had said they'd come don't - our Amateur side were supposed to be playing Rosslyn Pk Rangers today, first home game for a while, and then oppo state they don't have enough players for 1st + 2nd team fixtures.
Some of the old hands remember playing midweek fixtures as well.

Moseley were supposed to be playing Old Elthamians today, well we know what happened there.  But Moseley Oak then reached the semi final of the North Midlands Shield, and were to be at home to Camp Hill RFC.  The club set up all kinds of fun stuff for the kids and were presumably looking forward to the bar takings as two local clubs met; but Camp Hill conceded the game a couple of days ago, no reason stated but likely that they couldn't raise a team.  Nice for Oak to reach a final, but a shame that a fun day (in glorious sunshine as well) never happened.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 14:26
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Answers on a postcard.

It was there for the Championship had they wanted it.
RAID ON
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 13:54

Answers on a postcard.

Our City,
Our Club
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2022 at 11:26
Easter was always for tours to South Wales when I played, I vaguely remember playing a bit of rugby and drinking quite a lot of falling down water..............................
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic