National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Roll-up Roll-up its Circus Time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:17
Admitedly the allocation was based on last seasons finishing position and the teams may be different next season.

It was also as I understand based on the current regulations for level transfer, which prefer fewest teams moving. This forces a Northern team to go to the South West,rather than a South Eastern Team team moving to be replaced by a northern team. Even if the latter might produce shorter journeys.That rule could be ammended.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 13:57
Sorry, Camquin, I disagree. The RFU Council voted to have 3 Leagues at Level 4, not on the boundaries of those Leagues. The latter remains with the NCA. I wrote on another post about 2 years ago my idea of an M1 league, an M5 league and an M62 league. All ideas are still under discussion.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 15:09
Halliford, someone is leading you a merry dance then. You cannot present a structure, get the RFU Council to approve the structure and then say but we've not finalised the structure we are still discussing it. You can't do it irrespective if the NCA think they can. 

Of course if you "can" then the whole thing should be thrown out as its clear an agreed structure was not agreed in the 1st place.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 16:15
Can someone please explain what "powers" or "influence" the NCA has (or doesn't have as the case may be!) At present it's gang of 48 changes every season with promotions and relegations and what's to stop Level 5 clubs setting up its own Regional Premier League Authority and so on down the pyramid? When the make up of the NCA's 48 is set for the following season is it the NCA who draws the lines to say who will play in Nat2(North) & Nat2(South) or is it the RFU? My point being if its the RFU then after a restructure and increase to 3 Leagues at Level 4 why would it suddenly be the NCA who decide which clubs play in which league? 
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 16:23
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Can someone please explain what "powers" or "influence" the NCA has (or doesn't have as the case may be!) At present it's gang of 48 changes every season with promotions and relegations and what's to stop Level 5 clubs setting up its own Regional Premier League Authority and so on down the pyramid? When the make up of the NCA's 48 is set for the following season is it the NCA who draws the lines to say who will play in Nat2(North) & Nat2(South) or is it the RFU? My point being if its the RFU then after a restructure and increase to 3 Leagues at Level 4 why would it suddenly be the NCA who decide which clubs play in which league? 
From memory, when I raised this idea for the 48 member clubs a few years ago in an NCA meeting, I was told that the Constitution of the NCA is to abide by the RFU rules and regulations. If that helps explain the situation between the two. I presume that the various administrative bodies from Level 5 down follow the same directive. 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 16:37
Thanks Hopper but doesn't really answer my question. If it's in the NCA  constitution to abide by RFU rules and regs, what exactly is the purpose of its existence and who will draw the geographical lines for the three 14 team Leagues at Level 4 in 22/23 season (assuming restructure goes through) 
'Hopper View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Preston Grasshoppers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 'Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 16:47
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Thanks Hopper but doesn't really answer my question. If it's in the NCA  constitution to abide by RFU rules and regs, what exactly is the purpose of its existence and who will draw the geographical lines for the three 14 team Leagues at Level 4 in 22/23 season (assuming restructure goes through) 
There's no doubt a few current NCA rep's on this site who could answer your question. 
What if the Hokey Kokey really IS what it's all about?
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 17:25
That Bloke "Assuming restructure goes through"

It went through on Friday
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 18:00
Sorry Camp Freddie - hadn't been keeping up!! So can you answer my other question - Who draws the lines? 
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 11:47
The structure has been set by the RFU, 3 Leagues at Level 4. The RFU have NOT said how those Leagues should be structured, that is being discussed within the NCA. The NCA is effectively a CB, it’s Chair is an RFU Council member and is (and was) heavily involved in the competitions discussions. The NCA is very active and engaged, surveys generally get 95% responses. The Survey done by Steve Hill of NCA DoRs around the number of matches got 100% response and with 95% supporting a reduction to 14 teams, that is how the NCA voted. At least half of the NCA Clubs attend the AGM every year.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 11:57
Whether it's decided by the RFU or the NCA, it's fairly self-evident that the three leagues would be loosely structured around the South-East, North and West Midlands/ South West.  Obviously clubs in the North Midlands and East Midlands are most at risk of being shunted from pillar to post, along with those on the extremities of the aforementioned three regions.  But you can't set hard borders when the make-up of the 42 (?) clubs will be fluid, and unfortunately some clubs will find themselves being subject to level transfers on an almost annual basis.  Chester being in the South West is a fairly extreme case, mind you!

Edited by Mark W-J - 20 Apr 2021 at 12:58
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 15:52
I had a little look last night and if I was correct the distance from Chester to Redruth is comparable to Canterbury to Redruth in both distance and travel time.I would imagine it’s all the other bits. Longer travel and time required for it is unfortunately one of the pitfalls of success. In a weird case if we (Blackheath) did get into the championship our travel would reduce significantly 

Edited by Rabbie Burns - 20 Apr 2021 at 15:54
So many Christians not enough Lions
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 16:17
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

I had a little look last night and if I was correct the distance from Chester to Redruth is comparable to Canterbury to Redruth in both distance and travel time.I would imagine it’s all the other bits. Longer travel and time required for it is unfortunately one of the pitfalls of success. In a weird case if we (Blackheath) did get into the championship our travel would reduce significantly 

Although that's more a case of another southern side joining an increasingly southern league - If Plymouth, Roth, Donny and Leeds were all still up there it would be a bit different. Though in fairness if they were and this was consequently 2016 then you'd also be adding Blaydon and Tynedale (off the top of my head) back into N1 so it's swings and roundabouts...
keep the faith
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 18:44
I thought the idea was to reduce travelling - the proposed south west/east split would appear to mean Worthing's travel would increase significantly.

Edited by Raider999 - 20 Apr 2021 at 18:44
RAID ON
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 07:36
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

I thought the idea was to reduce travelling - the proposed south west/east split would appear to mean Worthing's travel would increase significantly.
But you have to look at average travel overall.  Worthing are always going to be an outlier because of their location - they can't travel south - but if the total travel for clubs on a match weekend is reduced then that objective has been achieved.

We're going to be playing in London One South next season with London Irish, London Cornish, Camberley, Guildford, Cobham, KCS Old Boys, Battersea Ironsides - I reckon our average journey time is going to be halved, whereas if we'd gone up to London One North (which would have been the natural progression) it would have increased by at least 50%.  But we're lucky in the respect that 10 of the other 13 clubs are in the M3/ A3 corridor, whereas two or three years ago the majority of the teams in this league were in Kent.

Edited by Mark W-J - 21 Apr 2021 at 08:31
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 12:41
Worthing was an issue when I looked at the design of the Level 4 Leagues, as were Canterbury. Of course Esher could go either way, we are right on the M3 to go south or the M4/40 to go west and a bit north. The more difficult journey is to the M1. It takes some careful calculation to work out the best overall structure, however, none of my work saw Chester going to Redruth! There are Midlands clubs who get that short straw before Chester. P.S. Redruth is a great Club to visit!
Hopping Mad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopping Mad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 13:29
Payment thresholds being reduced in L3-L5?

Do they even apply to most L3 clubs..?
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 18:08
Payment thresholds do not apply to most Nat 3 clubs as their playing budget is more than the ceilings. There are no real penalties which the  RFU can apply which would worry these clubs. There will be no travel allowances given to any club next season and probably never again. Those clubs with big playing budgets will not need RFU grants or loans. Only if the RFU brought in points deductions for breaching the regulations would clubs take notice but this will not happen (although it did with Saracens!!)
everest View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 07:49
Very enjoyable reading, or great content as it is now said. I fully understand many of the issues you refer to and i certainly get the comments on payment of player thresholds etc, however at the level I represent which is level 6 and below, many clubs are very much fighting for survival as we know it, The fact of the matter is very clear community rugby is seeing very much a decline in players both on match day and at training, from my experience the current generation at this level is very much lacking in commitment to anything and match day travel is very much the biggest challenge we face. From that perspective in my humble opinion this restructure has very much missed the target, last season we were expected to do circa 2000 miles in travel at level 6, this structure sees 1970 miles all be it very much in the opposite direction, with less games the average travel has risen - so lets look at an example, 3 weeks before the end of the 22/23 season 9 hrs on a coach round trip for an 80 min game, i am not a serious fortune teller however we may be slightly under strength for that one !

Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 18:10
Everest, I am still mystified as to how you know your fixtures for 22/23. We have a season to play in 21/22 and the finishing positions in that will then be used to populate the new structure for 22/23. Level 6 league areas have yet to be confirmed, the post from Lancashire is NOT the final version, as i understand it. Your comments on your players mirror my experience and the RFU findings. Making these statements now is pure speculation, I feel, but I suppose that is what this forum is for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
  Share Topic