National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - NL1 - Signings - Retentions and Departures 21-22
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedNL1 - Signings - Retentions and Departures 21-22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 13:20
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

I am waiting for someone to say, when asked about their new club..."I was hoping for something loads better.  It's a bang average club but summat is better than nowt these days£

LOL LOL

Of course no player ever says those words, they are "attributed" to them by the Club's PR Officers who assume we are all stupid!
Quite remarkable how similar these signing-on statements are 😜
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 15:20
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Quite remarkable how similar these signing-on statements are 😜

All Club PR Officers have done the same RFU Course!
Fake_Shemp View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 20:15
Originally posted by backrowb backrowb wrote:

I am waiting for someone to say, when asked about their new club..."I was hoping for something loads better.  It's a bang average club but summat is better than nowt these days£
Agreed. It would be funny if a young player, perhaps after watching a Joe Marler interview, said "I'd love to play for [insert nearest Premiership club here], but one step at a time. Maybe next season – onwards and upwards!"

Edited by Fake_Shemp - 30 Jun 2021 at 20:16
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 12:37
Two more additions for DMP for next season bringing in ex Hartpury University prop Carl Guest (age 23) and ex Huddersfield tight head prop Josh Crickmay (age 28) also

Seems DMP are making some really movements to cement foundations to build off for a big push this year

Edited by front5 - 01 Jul 2021 at 13:18
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 15:27
Originally posted by front5 front5 wrote:

Two more additions for DMP for next season bringing in ex Hartpury University prop Carl Guest (age 23) and ex Huddersfield tight head prop Josh Crickmay (age 28) also

Seems DMP are making some really movements to cement foundations to build off for a big push this year

Yes, considering it is not so long since the Club was sold and the new owner halved the playing budget.
Maybe players are appreciating the difficult financial circumstances that most Clubs find themselves in and accepting reduced incentives.

All Knwoing All Seeing
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Yes, considering it is not so long since the Club was sold and the new owner halved the playing budget.
Maybe players are appreciating the difficult financial circumstances that most Clubs find themselves in and accepting reduced incentives.

My understanding was the reduced funding was outside the 1st team and in other areas of the club

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 16:19

I'm very happy with the signings. We have often been shorthanded in the front row department so, with Ralph and Alfie re-signing and these new additions, the scrum might be an area of strength this season.
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 21:23
Sid - The Club was not sold and is still owned by the members.
Run with it
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by Runitback Runitback wrote:

So the postings under the thread headed 'Darlington Mowden Park Sold' and the 'Northern Echo' report are incorrect?
All Knwoing All Seeing
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 17:36

So the postings under the thread headed 'Darlington Mowden Park Sold' and the 'Northern Echo' report are incorrect?
 To the best of my knowledge, Gerald Quinn is on the Board of Directors and the club is still owned by members.

Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 19:43
Originally posted by Fake_Shemp Fake_Shemp wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, Gerald Quinn is on the Board of Directors and the club is still owned by members.

I don't want to cause any issues here but Fake Shemp's DMP website report is from 2018 when Quin joined the Board at DMP. The Northern Echo report and the postings under 'Darlington Mowden Park Sold' are from 2020 and,  they report that the Club is now sold to Quin.
I can't imagine that there is any reasons to withold the facts so, could some one confirm what the facts to date.
All Knwoing All Seeing
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 09:19
From what I understand a proposal was put to members in an AGM in 2020 which allowed Mr Quin  to take control of the asset (stadia etc) and take ownership control of the club. A number of changes have since occurred senior officers (MD etc) leaving the club.

The club launched a new community team DMP Elizabethans which plays separately from the 1st XV in the local league structure. 

It could be there is now 2 separate clubs operating - one which may have the ability and backing to become a championship level - professional potentially, which would be completely separate from minis juniours elizabethans etc which would remain a amateur community level club. I believe a number of championship clubs operate a similar model?
DGS Old Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:45
I don't want to cause any issues here but Fake Shemp's DMP website report is from 2018 when Quin joined the Board at DMP. The Northern Echo report and the postings under 'Darlington Mowden Park Sold' are from 2020 and,  they report that the Club is now sold to Quin.
I can't imagine that there is any reasons to withold the facts so, could some one confirm what the facts to date.
[/QUOTE]

Sid don't let it worry you!! The Northern Echo as per usual printed what they thought was going to happen without checking their sources first. Ged is indeed a board member but has not bought the club, circumstances have changed since the Echo guessed what may be happening. Best wishes to you and Ionians enjoy your forthcoming season. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:59
Sweeney Delenda Est
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 09:34
Originally posted by DGS Old Boy DGS Old Boy wrote:

Sid don't let it worry you!! The Northern Echo as per usual printed what they thought was going to happen without checking their sources first. Ged is indeed a board member but has not bought the club, circumstances have changed since the Echo guessed what may be happening. Best wishes to you and Ionians enjoy your forthcoming season. 
[/QUOTE]

I am not worried. Simply concerned for a good northern Club.
There are definitely conflicting messages eminating from the north east with regard to the actual ownership of the Nat 1 Club.
All Knwoing All Seeing
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:41
Back to topic, Roslyn Park making a statement bringing Bryan Redpath in as coach! How many going up 4?

Ps Sid . . DMP - definitely member owned.
Run with it
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 10:49
Did DMP split the 1st XV and stadium off s separate companies from the member owned club? 

It would not be a stupid thing to do, as if one goes bust, and we have seen that happen, the other is saf.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 13:18
There are VAT benefits in separating team and the pitch they play on, as well as other tax benefits from separating team from club, as well as the legal protection.
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 07:15
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

There are VAT benefits in separating team and the pitch they play on, as well as other tax benefits from separating team from club, as well as the legal protection.

The grounds and stadium were sold to businessman Ged Quinn last year in order to pay off crippling debts. Yes it's a members club, but without assets. A long way from the millions they got from the sale of their  Yiewsley Drive ground. Some say 4 million, some say 6, I don't  know. 

They gambled on the local council building a sports village on their site, but that collapsed. 
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 15:29
More news from DMP this time covering the scrum half requirements -

Marty Lithgo re-signs for next season 

Young scrum half Chris Dobson joins from Billingham 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic