National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Live Sports FM Radio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live Sports FM Radio
    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 16:12
Live Sports FM, an online community radio station has started broadcasting Championship fixtures live. 

This weekend they are at Saracens v Bedford Blues, on-air at 12.50 with kick-off at 13.00. 

Former Saracens captain Floyd Steadman is on co-commentary duty and will be sharing his thoughts on the Championship, as well as memories of captaining Saracens to promotion in 1990 alongside Jason Leonard and Mickey Skinner. 
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 16:29
Mickey Skinner playing for Saracens?- I do not think so. He was Blackheath and Quins i believe.
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 18:04
Originally posted by Scoop Scoop wrote:

Live Sports FM, an online community radio station has started broadcasting Championship fixtures live. 

This weekend they are at Saracens v Bedford Blues, on-air at 12.50 with kick-off at 13.00. 

Former Saracens captain Floyd Steadman is on co-commentary duty and will be sharing his thoughts on the Championship, as well as memories of captaining Saracens to promotion in 1990 alongside Jason Leonard and Mickey Skinner. 

It was the 1988/89 season when Saracens were first promoted into (the now) Premiership. 
They repeated the feat in 1994/95. 

Plus I thought Leonard played for Saracens the year after promotion and Skinner didn't play for them at all?

So either Floyd's memories are wrong or Scoop has his facts wrong .
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
chas View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Bedford Blues

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 18:22
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

It was the 1988/89 season when Saracens were first promoted into (the now) Premiership. 
They repeated the feat in 1994/95. 

Plus I thought Leonard played for Saracens the year after promotion and Skinner didn't play for them at all?

So either Floyd's memories are wrong or Scoop has his facts wrong .

I read this that Steadman would be recalling his memories of captaining Saracens to promotion, and he would have co-comentators, Leonard and Skinner.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 19:12
Yep, I read it that way too. Not well written though.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 19:20

I think that I would prefer to watch the stream, but I could see this being of interest to those without a spare tenner. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the forum.
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 20:46
It actually could be read that Leonard and Skinnwe are co-commentators, not part of the Saracens team who were promoted. Ambiguously expressed.
pappashanga
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 07:22
Games i have watched so far have had one 24/7 production comapny appointed commentator plus a co commentator with some link to one of the clubs playing -none yet have had 3 co commentators of the calibre of an ex England back row forward with no link to either team and the current Chairman of the British and Irish Lions.
chas View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Bedford Blues

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 07:47
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Games i have watched so far have had one 24/7 production comapny appointed commentator plus a co commentator with some link to one of the clubs playing -none yet have had 3 co commentators of the calibre of an ex England back row forward with no link to either team and the current Chairman of the British and Irish Lions.

Well, this is a new outfit, providing a broadcast to listen to, rather than for you to watch, so a different production is being introduced.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 13:15
The only problem with this is that one side are the Cheats so no thanks this week.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 14:52
I feel sorry for the original poster - he/she just posted about a community media initiative for a league that could do with all the profile it can get, and gets shot down for a minor lack of clarity in the wording (altho' to me it was pretty clear who the commentator is and who'd be mentioned in dispatches) accompanied by tired old barbs about Saracens - yawn!
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 18:54
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I feel sorry for the original poster - he/she just posted about a community media initiative for a league that could do with all the profile it can get, and gets shot down for a minor lack of clarity in the wording (altho' to me it was pretty clear who the commentator is and who'd be mentioned in dispatches) accompanied by tired old barbs about Saracens - yawn!

In effect the post was a press release to promote the station.

You would expect clarity. It doesn't reflect well on the station if there is doubt.

As for the barbs, that is ultimately Saracens own doing. 
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 20:27
I'm no defender of Sarries - Stephen Jones of the Sunday Times is the man for those who are after that sort of thing. But how long will their pariah status last? Are Quins forgiven for their Bloodgate misdemeanours 12 years ago?

The slight ambiguity in original post is being treated as a near-hanging offence. Woe betide someone who committed a really major atrocity, eg referring to the 'rules' of the game, or talking about the ‘British Lions’ & grievously insulting the whole of Ireland... Unhappy

Edited by islander - 09 Apr 2021 at 21:41
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 07:18
Islander there was no shooting down in my post. My comment was to ask/inform that Mickey Skinner never played for Saracens. Are  we so sensitive now that incorrect information cannot be challenge? Richard talks about expecting clarity -I would add a request for accurate content-especially from representatives of a media outlet. Lets all move on.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 14:38
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I'm no defender of Sarries - Stephen Jones of the Sunday Times is the man for those who are after that sort of thing. But how long will their pariah status last? Are Quins forgiven for their Bloodgate misdemeanours 12 years ago?

The slight ambiguity in original post is being treated as a near-hanging offence. Woe betide someone who committed a really major atrocity, eg referring to the 'rules' of the game, or talking about the ‘British Lions’ & grievously insulting the whole of Ireland... Unhappy

Well as far as the Cheats are concerned I think it is only fair to stop highlighting their cheating when it has been going on as long as their cheating. So in about five years then!

Mind you if the man who organised it is still in place then it should be extended. (Dean Richards was banned for three years and the Quins Chairman resigned after Bloodgate you may recall). 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic