National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Saracens v Bedford - farce

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saracens v Bedford - farce
    Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 20:06
Well Sarries play their first game at full-strength tomorrow. Their side includes 9 full internationals and 5 players who have represented the British and Irish Lions. They are up against a mid-table championship side with very little experience in terms of players that have played in the Premiership. Some people will love the David v Goliath element to it, I personally hate it. I personally don’t see the benefit of Saracens being down at all. Bedford are going to be playing against players who they are not conditioned to face. I seriously worry that all of differences in terms of size and physique are going to result in a player from one of the championship teams getting very seriously injured. This is not like football where often the difference between the top and bottom teams in the pyramid is more to do with skill, it’s professional rugby where there is a giant chasm between the conditioning of players in the Premiership and championship. In my opinion a championship club would be within their rights to sue the RFU if one of their players got seriously injured playing against Saracens. The governing body have failed in their duty of care and it’s a disgrace. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 20:46
An interesting problem this one.
The Championship want to have promotion but when they play the relegated club the supporters moan?
When Bristol were trying to get promoted in the 2010s they had plenty of internationals...as did London Irish when they were promoted....even when you go back to Worcester Vs Pirates back in the early years of the Championship Worcester had7 or 8 international players, ok some were recently retired.
Saracens need to be promoted, got a bloody nose against Pirates in round 1 so want to make sure there are no more slips....I am sure everyone of the Bedford players would rather be playing against MV, MI, ED etc than some academy player?
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 21:41
I disagree, Saracens deserve to be in the Championship. I personally believe they should spend a full season down here. 

Our lads are going to face these players and test themselves that is what they want
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 21:49
Agree with you castlepark re being in the Champ, it is a shame the clubs will not benefit from increased crowd attendances though.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 00:18
This is almost like saying a 5ft 7”, 12 stone scrum half shouldn’t be on the same pitch as a 6ft 5”, 22 stone No. 8 or prop. Rugby has always been a game of mis-matches in size, speed and skill.

Blues have faced the might of Saracens in several pre-season games and training sessions (a few years ago now) with their international players and I am sure they are looking forward to this game more than the ones where some of the bigger named players weren’t playing. 

At least we have our 1st choice tight head back for the game, which means we have a back up tight head on the bench.

Often the difference isn’t really size of player it is speed and skill. The blues team is... of which virtually every player in the 15 has had some form of premiership experience either as an academy player or who has played some games.

15. Rich Lane, 14. Pat Tapley, 13. Elijah Niko, 12. Reuben Bird-Tulloch (s), 11. Matt Worley, 10. Tommy Mathews (s), 9. Connor Tupai (s); 1. Emmanuel Iyogun (s), 2. James Fish (s), 3. Henry Paul, 4. Will Carrick Smith, 5. Lewis Bean (s), 6. Ollie Newman (s), 7. Joe Atkinson, 8. Tui Uru (s)

Replacements:

16. Jacob Fields, 17. Sean McCarthy, 18. Ed Prowse (s), 19. Oli Curry, 20. Oli Robinson (e), 21. James Lennon, 22. Will Maisey, 23. Tom Litchfield (s)

The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 00:22
Saracens

Elliott Obatoyinbo 
Alex Lewington 
Elliot Daly 
Duncan Taylor 
Sean Maitland 
Manu Vunipola 
Aled Davies 
Mako Vunipola 
Jamie George © 
Vincent Koch 
Maro Itoje 
Joel Kpoku 
Andy Christie 
Jackson Wray 
Billy Vunipola 
Replacements 

Ethan Lewis 
Ralph Adams-Hale 
Alec Clarey 
Callum Hunter-Hill 
Janco Venter 
Tom Whiteley 
Juan Pablo Socino 
Dom Morris
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 08:34
Sorry DKF, but I feel the premise of this thread is a bit of an over-reaction. Richmond's predominantly amateur (£100 a game) players coped ok with Saracens a couple of weeks ago. I know Sarries now have 4 more England players than they fielded at the RAG, but I don't believe these players are necessarily stronger or in better condition, just (in Eddie Jones' view at least) better players...
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:17
Saracens had a hard time physically against part time Richmond. They were helped by some yellow cards, but the score was misleading. Ultimately Saracens' efficiency won the day but they scored less points than Ealing did yesterday against Pirates.
From what I've read, Bedford doesn't have a strong scrum, so they may get steamrollered. However I shall pay my ten pounds and root for them from behind my computer.
pappashanga
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 10:27
Blues scrum is fine, there were no issues against Pirates, Cov, Hartpury and only had issues against Jersey when the replacement tight head had to come on.

We have had a replacement a tight head issue but now have our first choice back, which means we don’t have to rely on two 20 year olds one of which has done tremendously well playing for virtually 80 mins most matches.

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:40
Good to know.
pappashanga
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:43
Sarries are a Championship club (and rightfully so) and you would expect them to put out their strongest team for competitive integrity. That being said, I do hope that the players will have common sense not to be reckless and that the ref is strong on anything that involves head injuries. 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 11:50
I understand the sentiment behind it but I'm not sure I understand the term "predominantly amateur (£100 per game)"
The game chose to go open many years ago and as far as I believe a player is either a full time professional, semi-pro or amateur.
Every club competes in the league at a level they have managed to attain and what better challenge could there be for a player than to test themselves against full time pro's, many of whom also happen to represent their country. Bring it on I say whatever level of professionalism/amateurism your club happens to be at
Players will not be going into those games worrying about possible head injuries or being able to cope with the physicality or skill of the opposition. It is a challenge they will rise to and an experience they will be telling their grandchildren about in the years to come

Edited by Thatbloke - 11 Apr 2021 at 11:54
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:17
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

I understand the sentiment behind it but I'm not sure I understand the term "predominantly amateur (£100 per game)"
The game chose to go open many years ago and as far as I believe a player is either a full time professional, semi-pro or amateur.
Every club competes in the league at a level they have managed to attain and what better challenge could there be for a player than to test themselves against full time pro's, many of whom also happen to represent their country. Bring it on I say whatever level of professionalism/amateurism your club happens to be at
Players will not be going into those games worrying about possible head injuries or being able to cope with the physicality or skill of the opposition. It is a challenge they will rise to and an experience they will be telling their grandchildren about in the years to come

This is what I meant: they all have non-rugby jobs, they don't get paid to train, they get a match fee. I guess someone who gets a match fee, even if it's £5, is technically semi-professional. I thought my description gave a bit more context, but if you don't like it, that's your prerogative...
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:23
This thread is going to look very silly when Bedford win
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:33
Blues are +52 on Paddy Power
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:50
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

This thread is going to look very silly when Bedford win

You can always dream!
RAID ON
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 13:26
The commentary is dreadful. Too many 'we's' and 'us's' and 'aren't Saracens brilliant's. I may turn the sound off if this continues. Scrum prediction coming true, unfortunately.

pappashanga
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 13:41
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

The commentary is dreadful. Too many 'we's' and 'us's' and 'aren't Saracens brilliant's. I may turn the sound off if this continues. Scrum prediction coming true, unfortunately.

Nothing to compare with the cyclopian efforts from Penzance yesterday. It was so laughably partisan it just had to be a post-ironic art installation!

Edited by oneagainstthehead - 11 Apr 2021 at 13:42
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 13:50
HT Saracens (BP) 26 - 6 Blues

Think a few decisions have gone against us and we haven’t taken the few chances we have had.

Edited by The Blues - 11 Apr 2021 at 13:53
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 13:52
They shouldn't have members of the playing clubs commentating. They talk as if the other team is just token opposition and it's all about them. I am technically a neutral but I'm becoming a Blues supporter for the afternoon.
pappashanga
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic