National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 6 - (VI) Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 07:20
I feel a lot more comfortable about our match on Sunday - Corporal Carrot has not predicted a win by the Knights Wink

We can just go out there, try our best and see what the rugby gods have determined. I cast my mind back a few years ago when the Bristol superstars were subdued at their home ground in front of thousands of Bristolians expecting an easy march to the Premiership. Now I am not saying it will happen, I am saying it could happen...... COYK!
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 09:28
The key will be not conceding scrum penalties. Their whole game seems to depend on that. George is a very powerful factor. It's like having three props.
pappashanga
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:01
Interesting view given that Saracens conceded six scrum penalties against the Pirates.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:04
I think Donny's key objective should be minimum damage in terms of injuries and suspensions and hope Jersey or another club beat Ealing so they get a play off place. Any points gained is a plus for Donny. If Sarries get their four tries early doors they may sub their superstars and Donny can bring their best assets off the bench. Forget kicking pens for the posts and hope for a four try losing bonus point. Let them eat pie!
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 12:05
Ealing 5 Jersey 0
Bedford 4 Richmond 1
Nottingham 0 Pirates 5
Ampthill 4 Hartpury 1
Doncaster 0 Saracens 5
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:00
George didn't play against Pirates. He makes an enormous difference.
pappashanga
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:01
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Interesting view given that Saracens conceded six scrum penalties against the Pirates.

and were second-best at scrum-time for most of the first half v Jersey
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:02
Interesting preview on the Bedford website. Apparently it is 37 all in terms of wins between them and Richmond  since 1930 something.
pappashanga
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:04
Yes all noted, but George makes the difference. He started playing against Richmond and their scrum was then stronger than that of Jersey and Pirates for that matter. He's not in the much criticized England team for nothing.
pappashanga
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

Yes all noted, but George makes the difference. He started playing against Richmond and their scrum was then stronger than that of Jersey and Pirates for that matter. He's not in the much criticized England team for nothing.

Mako Vunipola, whilst not regarded as the best scrummager in the world at international level, is also still an exceptional scrummager at this level. Itoje will also make a difference to the scrum. It was only Vincent Koch that was playing in those games who is usually first choice. And to be fair, against jersey Saracens had the scrum ascendancy in the 2nd half.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 20:24
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Didn't think George was involved (nor was Mako V)
RAID ON
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 14:01
Ealing 5-0 Jersey - The juggernaut to continue 
Bedford 5-0 Richmond - Bedford starting to get some injured players back. This might be the game it clicks
Nottingham 0-5 Pirates - Have predicted Nottingham to lose each week and so far proved right...
Doncaster 0-5 Saracens - Officially, a massive game. In reality, Saracens a now a different beast and will be a straightforward win
Ampthill 4-1 Hartpury - Ampthill to grind out a win in a very attritional (read dull) game
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
LJ from Roth View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJ from Roth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 15:38
Ealing 5 Jersey 0
Bedford 4 Richmond 1
Nottingham 1 Pirates 4
Ampthill 4 Hartpury 1
Doncaster 1 Saracens 4 
Scoop View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 22:41
It was David Johnson who took over at fly-half for Ealing with Luke Daniels coming on at fullback. However, because they swapped shirts the commentator thought Jordan Burns had come on even though he is a bald scrumhalf, while Daniels is a fullback with a full head of hair. He then thought Daniels came on at scrumhalf later in the match.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 22:55
Originally posted by Scoop Scoop wrote:

It was David Johnson who took over at fly-half for Ealing with Luke Daniels coming on at fullback. However, because they swapped shirts the commentator thought Jordan Burns had come on even though he is a bald scrumhalf, while Daniels is a fullback with a full head of hair. He then thought Daniels came on at scrumhalf later in the match.

Indeed, I was confused during the match; I knew it wasn't Burns, but the picture wasn't good enough for me to notice the commentator's mistake on Daniels vs. Johnson. I did hear Ben Ward in the after match interview explain the switch, and interestingly say that Ealing has cover in from Ulster? I was honestly surprised they had Johnson take the kicks with Daniels out there, as I think he is the better kicker.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 11:55
All the Way View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote All the Way Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 13:23
Ealing 5 Jersey 0
Bedford 4 Richmond 1
Nottingham 0 Pirates 4
Ampthill 4 Hartpury 1
Doncaster 0 Saracens 5
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 15:03
Ealing team against Jersey: We see the strength of Ealing's recent connection with Ulster as we grab Bill Johnston (David's brother) to cover at Fly Half. We'll see how that works after only 2 weeks with the squad. Othewise, a massively changed squad that makes me nervous. Obviously injuries have fly half thin, and missing Alun Walker due to a knock is a big blow. I don't know why Bobby De Wee is suddenly a 6 but I'm worried for the scrum overall - lots of changes. One positive is seeing Dean Hammond return from injury, he was huge in the Trailfinders cup. This feels like a trap game to me.

1. Kyle Whyte, 2 Shaun Malton, 3 Lewis Thiede, 4 Simon Linsell, 5 Harry Casson, 6 Bobby De Wee, 7 Simon Uzokwe, 8 Rayn Smid, 9 Craig Hampson, 10 Bill Johnston, 11 Dean Hammond, 12 Pat Howard, 13 Max Bodilly, 14 Anugs Kernohan, 15 David Johnston

16. Michael Van Vuuren, 17 Will Davis, 18 Elliot Millar Mills, 19 James Cannon, 20 Guy Thompson, 21 Shane Buckley, 22. Jordan Burns, 23 Luke Daniels
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 15:05
Looks strong enough to me. Look at the bench.
pappashanga
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 15:37
Originally posted by Pappashanga Pappashanga wrote:

Looks strong enough to me. Look at the bench.
With the sole exception of GT who is a legend I think Jersey have the stronger bench. Should be a cracking match which could go down to the wire and I'm hopeful of a Jersey win. Back in the day GT played for Jersey in the backs in the second half in my first ever visit to VW and scored a try in an away win against the odds. Wish I could be there tomorrow and hope its a cracking match win or lose.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 16 Apr 2021 at 16:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic