National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Round 6 - (VI) Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 19:42
I was under the impression that to keep the ball in play the player had to land in field after knocking the ball back infield 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 19:54
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 19:59
I see we might need to get Nigel Owens involved here.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 22:11
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

I was under the impression that to keep the ball in play the player had to land in field after knocking the ball back infield 

I think, but am not 100% sure, that the rule is the player has to start on the pitch. Ie they can’t just stand off the pitch, jump and knock the ball into play. They can stand right on the touchline, jump backwards (so ball is off pitch) and themselves land off the pitch, but the weird lesser known part of the rule is they must be on the pitch when they make the initial jump
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Monkey Magic View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Magic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 22:25
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

I think, but am not 100% sure, that the rule is the player has to start on the pitch. Ie they can’t just stand off the pitch, jump and knock the ball into play. They can stand right on the touchline, jump backwards (so ball is off pitch) and themselves land off the pitch, but the weird lesser known part of the rule is they must be on the pitch when they make the initial jump

That I believe is the current interpretation of the Law. In this incident  the AR  appeared to make a "clear and obvious error" but no VAR in this league.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2021 at 22:57
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Sounds about right.
(But if Cov's own Whistle Watcher disagrees, I'm fine wi that Wink).

Edited by Kimbo - 18 Apr 2021 at 22:59
Our City,
Our Club
Puli. View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puli. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 11:46

If a player jumps and knocks the ball back into the playing area (or if that player catches the ball and throws it back into the playing area) before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, play continues regardless of whether the ball reaches the plane of touch
If Rugby is the game they play in Heaven ..... Why does it hurt like Hell when you retire?
Elijah Cadman View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elijah Cadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 12:49
Originally posted by Puli. Puli. wrote:

If a player jumps and knocks the ball back into the playing area (or if that player catches the ball and throws it back into the playing area) before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, play continues regardless of whether the ball reaches the plane of touch

Not now.  He must land back in the field of play.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 18:51
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

There's an easy question in there - no touch should have been given, ref right to carry on with play. (assuming your facts are correct) The law in Rugby is very different from that in football.
On another point - perhaps Donny have had Eddie down for a secret coaching session to make sure they get rid of the ball as we all know now it's the team without the ball that wins games! 😂😂

I thought the rule had changed so that a player starting outside the field of play had to jump, catch the ball (not tap back in) and land in the field of play to prevent touch?
RAID ON
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 19:31
If you want to watch the highlights of the game between Ampthill and Hartpury go to the following link:

https://www.ampthillrufc.com/

Unfortunately it does not show the catch outside touch incident but it it does show the sub being yellow carded.

Apart from that it is pure entertainment.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 10:43
There was a red card in the Ealing match, but I am yet to see any disciplinary outcome. Is this not mandatory?
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:15
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

If you want to watch the highlights of the game between Ampthill and Hartpury go to the following link:

https://www.ampthillrufc.com/

Unfortunately it does not show the catch outside touch incident but it it does show the sub being yellow carded.

Apart from that it is pure entertainment.

1. The ball is not in touch or touch-in-goal if:
    1. The ball reaches the plane of touch but is caught, knocked or kicked by a player who is in the playing area.
    2. A player jumps, from within or outside the playing area, and catches the ball, and then lands in the playing area, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    3. A player jumps from the playing area and knocks (or catches and releases) the ball back into the playing area, before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, regardless of whether the ball reached the plane of touch.
    4. A player, who is in touch, kicks or knocks the ball, but does not hold it, provided it has not reached the plane of touch.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:36
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

There was a red card in the Ealing match, but I am yet to see any disciplinary outcome. Is this not mandatory?
The hearing for the red card and a related matter was held on Tuesday. 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 11:44
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Thanks CC - I checked the RFU site, and hadn't seen any outcome on there.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 13:10

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Thanks CC - I checked the RFU site, and hadn't seen any outcome on there.
It often takes a while for the RFU to update these things but out of respect for the individual concerned its better imo to await the formal release of the result.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 15:44
Outcome of Apakuki Ma'afu's disciplinary hearing has now been released...

Edited by islander - 22 Apr 2021 at 15:46
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 17:09
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

Outcome of Apakuki Ma'afu's disciplinary hearing has now been released...

Thanks  - I actually went to the England website to see if Owen Farrell was getting written up for the horrible headshot on Sam Olver, and realized that there was nothing on the red card yet. These write ups are very informative and transparent. I hope Dean Hammond recovers fully.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 18:01
Thanks to everyone who has contributed their input to the tap back into play issue, especially Rob C who I think the last option he listed might be the relevant one, although I am not sure what the "plane of touch" means.

But I am still uncertain about how an off the field substitute who gets yellow carded penalises the substitute's team apart from that substitute will now most probably not be used. Is that the extent of the punishment?
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 18:11
Surely that should be team yellow card and player from the field should be yellow carded. This is similiar to yellow given on scrum infringements a card is given and  I assume the captain allocates a player to leave the field.

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 18:18
In a scrum the ref should identify who offended and card them personally.
The plane of touch is the plane rising vertically from the touchline.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic