National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2020/21 Championship - Round 7 (VII)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 07:31
I think there may be some grapes that don't quite taste right in some of these statements - however the topic is moot - Donny, who pay their troops in the £20k to £30k range (predominantly), will be making the final and springing a surprise on everyone Wink
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 08:36
Things have most certainly changed since I was plying my rugby trade in the 1970s. Then I had to pay £2 match fees and find out that it was my turn to drive me and at least four other players to the away ground in my car.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 11:04
And weren't those days so much more fun....
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 11:18
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

Things have most certainly changed since I was plying my rugby trade in the 1970s. Then I had to pay £2 match fees and find out that it was my turn to drive me and at least four other players to the away ground in my car.

This still goes on at a lot of amateur clubs, so nothing had changed in that respect.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 12:06
Some of the bitterness towards Ealing from certain sections of this forum is getting tiresome. Can we not all just get along and back the Championship as a whole? Every club is unique. 

Yes we have risen through the leagues quickly, yes we have a bigger budget than the rest of the Champ clubs, yes our crowd size does not reflect our success on the pitch, yes our ground does not meet Prem min standards. I think we can all agree on that. 

The club will be measuring success based on year on year improvement which I think they have achieved to date. I don’t think anyone really believes that we are going to win the league this season against a side packed full of current International stars but just drifting for a year to save money is not a good look IMO if you have Prem ambitions. 

As for our coaching abilities, I think we have struggled to find a suitable Head Coach since Codders left the first time. Fingers crossed this new chap from Ulster is the one. Remember though that Ealing have a young coaching team and are themselves developing, just like our team. We haven’t signed a lot of mercenaries for silly money just to get promoted only for it to fall apart. 

I think Ealing are trying to grow the facilities, team and coaching staff year on year in a steady manner. There is a huge gap between battling it out for second, finishing comfortably second and again to finish first. 

I’ve said it before but my preference would be for the Prem to drop to 10 teams and for the Champ to have greater investment and a tv deal like in ProD2. 

Edited by Trailfinder - 28 Apr 2021 at 12:15
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 12:20
I agree with Trailfinder above. I was going to add more, but I think he summed it up well.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 15:08
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Some of the bitterness towards Ealing from certain sections of this forum is getting tiresome. Can we not all just get along and back the Championship as a whole? Every club is unique. 

I fully agree with this and would also include the bitterness aimed at Sarries and their players.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 15:26
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

I fully agree with this and would also include the bitterness aimed at Sarries and their players.

ClapClapClapClapClapClap
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 19:09
Trailfinder, very interesting. You may well still finish this season in third league position! Sarries made you look rather ordinary on Sunday. But what a superb climb you have made, loads of jealousy about your success? Can't you hire in loads of southern hemisphere internationals to take on the Saracens?

Premiership and Championship should be commanded by one central umbrella of professional sides. National leagues won't like it but it is surely the pragmatic way ahead? Somewhat similar to the French model? And hopefully help produce an England side that plays to win?
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 20:11
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

Trailfinder, very interesting. You may well still finish this season in third league position! Sarries made you look rather ordinary on Sunday. But what a superb climb you have made, loads of jealousy about your success? Can't you hire in loads of southern hemisphere internationals to take on the Saracens?

Premiership and Championship should be commanded by one central umbrella of professional sides. National leagues won't like it but it is surely the pragmatic way ahead? Somewhat similar to the French model? And hopefully help produce an England side that plays to win?

Isleonian I don’t know whether you are being sarcastic or not but I will give you the benefit of the doubt!

I make no predictions, especially this season, 1st 2nd or 3rd seems equally likely at present. 

Yes Sarries were at an international level on Sunday, Ealing are high Champ level. 

Are people jealous of Ealing? I’m not sure anyone cares that much, you’ll have to ask them. 

We have a fair few South Africans in our squad atm as do quite a lot of clubs in England and France, mostly due to the economy and COVID impact on club rugby over there. No superstars though, in line with the steady improvement approach mentioned above. 

Agree on a professional umbrella but I’d have it open to the national leagues if a team finishes top of Nat 1 and wants to go pro. 

I like the French model, it’s quite popular atm and promotes growth of the game. 

Personally I think the England team are fine, they will bounce back soon enough whether changes are made or not. 

I should add that I am just a fan, I have no other affiliation with Ealing. 

Edited by Trailfinder - 28 Apr 2021 at 20:13
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 15:45
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

There should be no bitterness directed at the Cheats just total and utter contempt.

No problem with Ealing though in my book.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 16:05
Going back to the discussion about Saracens players’ availability for the Lions, how many do readers think will actually be picked?
Several were distinctly below par in the Six Nations.
I suggest Itoje is a cert, George highly likely and Farrell probable, but think that’s probably it.
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 20:41
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Going back to the discussion about Saracens players’ availability for the Lions, how many do readers think will actually be picked?
I suggest Itoje is a cert, George highly likely and Farrell probable, but think that’s probably it.

Forget Billy. All of the others have a decent shout
Tackle Low!!!!!
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 18:53
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Itoje - certainty
Farrell - poor 6 nations must be a doubt - certainly not a test starter
Mako V - below par, might make backups
Billy V - very poor - no chance in an area where Lions are strong
George - probable

I don't think the late start to the Championship did them any favours, cannot see playing in Championship will do a lot to influence Gatland so he will be going on 6 Nations form.
RAID ON
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 20:39
t
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Itoje - certainty
George - probable

I don't think the late start to the Championship did them any favours, cannot see playing in Championship will do a lot to influence Gatland so he will be going on 6 Nations form.  
You missed out Daly R999 - I’d say he was more at the ‘outside chance’ end of the spectrum, although his versatility in shirts 11/13/14/15 might count in his favour

The idea expressed earlier by someone else that some Saracens players might miss the second leg of the PO on 19 June is perhaps the most unlikely of all the contributions so far...

Edited by islander - 30 Apr 2021 at 20:42
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 21:32
Personally I don’t think Farrell is an international player. He is a good goal kicker and leader are his qualities. Relatively solid in defence! I don’t think that is enough though.

As a 10 he doesn’t have the ability to make a break, or has any real killer pass or inventiveness with his play.

As a 12 he either isn’t big enough to be a crash ball and get over the gain line nor does he have any step or pace to beat his opposite number so you know he isn’t going to be much of a threat.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Personally I don’t think Farrell is an international player. He is a good goal kicker and leader are his qualities. Relatively solid in defence! I don’t think that is enough though.

As a 10 he doesn’t have the ability to make a break, or has any real killer pass or inventiveness with his play.

As a 12 he either isn’t big enough to be a crash ball and get over the gain line nor does he have any step or pace to beat his opposite number so you know he isn’t going to be much of a threat.

Very suspect tackle technique that's going to catch up with him soon
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Runitback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 11:53
Farrell obviously is a very good international player and has made the most of his talent through application, at his best he is very very good . .  but does not have any stand out qualities other than his steel nerve when kicking at goal.  His leadership talents probably get him selected rather than his other rugby talents if that makes sense . .  I think he will make the Lions as a squad player . . no to both Vunipola and poss George and Daly only because he can cover 3 positions but so can Nowell who I would prefer.
Run with it
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 22:07
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

t

Itoje - certainty
George - probable

You missed out Daly R999 - I’d say he was more at the ‘outside chance’ end of the spectrum, although his versatility in shirts 11/13/14/15 might count in his favour

The idea expressed earlier by someone else that some Saracens players might miss the second leg of the PO on 19 June is perhaps the most unlikely of all the contributions so far...

Yes I did, however after his poor 6 Nations form I have forgiven myself for not considering him in the Lions mix.
RAID ON
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 22:37

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

t

Itoje - certainty
George - probable

Yes I did, however after his poor 6 Nations form I have forgiven myself for not considering him in the Lions mix.

Daly shouldn’t be getting picked by England let alone lions. As for Farrell, imo he is the one of the most overrated players in international rugby that I can remember. Agree with everything written about him in “the blues” post. Seems to have forged a career by being angry, a slightly above average goal kicker (his stats are really not that different to G Ford) and playing behind the most dominant pack in European club rugby. Didn’t think he was very talented during his short tenure at Bedford and still don’t think he’s any more than a standard prem 10. Wouldn’t have had the career he’s had if he’s played for any other team and does not possess the natural talent of a Ford/smith/cipriani.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic