National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2020-21 Championship - Round 8

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 15:02
Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Has anyone seen a list of referee's for this weekend? 
Referee’s what?
Flipping autocorrect. ;-)

Today seemed to be the day for officials, particularly ARs being directly sworn at. Disgusting 'football player' behaviour by players in one particular incident where they 'pointed out' a technical offense at a penalty which led to a try being awarded by the referee by rushing up to and swearing at the AR closest to the offense.

I can understand that with empty grounds the regular swearing is much more obvious than usual. I know that during this match the commentary team had to apologises regularly for sweating coming through on the streaming sound from on pitch. That is irritating, but it is not what I am complaining about here.

It is that players gained advantage by swearing at officials, and were not punished or even reprimanded Wink for doing so.

Then not only are the players at fault but also the officials.  I watched Matthew Carly referee last week and he made it very clear how he expected to be spoken to.  
The thought of sweating coming through the streaming doesn't bear thinking of thoughDead

Absolutely correct Rob. I would like to think any half decent assessor would mark the ref down for allowing that sort of player behaviour.
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 15:12
Top 3, with remaining games:
  1. Ealing 35pts - Blues (a) Donny (h) bye
  2. Donny 31pts - bye - Ealing (a) Nottingham (h)
  3. Sarries 30pts - Ampthill (h) Cov (a) Hartpury (h)
You'd still reckon Ealing & Sarries would contest the final, but Donny have retained their sporting chance of a top-two finish
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 15:26
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

I’ve got no idea how we’ve managed to lose that 5-0.
The match point scoring often doesn't reflect the relative performance of the sides. Jersey properly imo took 5 points for an 80 minute performance yesterday in which they scored a fourth try with the final play but for Amps to get Nil points after everything they contributed to a great contest is bordering on a travesty.

The Championship table 2020-2021 (championshiprugby.co.uk)

Edited by corporalcarrot - 02 May 2021 at 15:29
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 16:19
To be honest I felt bad that Bedford never got at least a point. The first 20 minutes they were on fire. And Donny was far from ordinary (poor is how I would rate them). The second 20 we came back in but were probably even. The second half after Bodes kicked the hairdryer was a different thing.

Two yellow cards - Bedford really capitalised to score 12 points, we only 3 so we’ll done Bedford on that front.

The ability to win ugly sometimes is the difference. Still happy to know that if we get 5 points against Ealing and then Nottingham that Sarries stays another year

Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 16:48
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

To be honest I felt bad that Bedford never got at least a point. The first 20 minutes they were on fire. And Donny was far from ordinary (poor is how I would rate them). The second 20 we came back in but were probably even. The second half after Bodes kicked the hairdryer was a different thing.

Two yellow cards - Bedford really capitalised to score 12 points, we only 3 so we’ll done Bedford on that front.

The ability to win ugly sometimes is the difference. Still happy to know that if we get 5 points against Ealing and then Nottingham that Sarries stays another year

Sadly not the case as Sarries have a game in hand. Doncaster are likely going to need to beat Ealing 5-0 to pip Ealing to a playoff spot given Ealings points difference and bonus points collected. Sarries don’t have any banana skins left so should comfortably make playoffs even if Ealing nick the league on points difference.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 16:57

Sadly not the case as Sarries have a game in hand. Doncaster are likely going to need to beat Ealing 5-0 to pip Ealing to a playoff spot given Ealings points difference and bonus points collected. Sarries don’t have any banana skins left so should comfortably make playoffs even if Ealing nick the league on points difference.

I think the banana skin is Donny in the playoff final
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 17:20
I think the Commentators were wrong in the MOM selection.  Jerry Sexton was crucial in the line out and stopped the Blues momentum on several occasions, both with steals and own catches.

It’s hard to take when a good performance gets no reward.  However, miles forward since the start of the season, so happy-ish.Big smile
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 17:44

True enough forgot the bye - it would put Donny against Sarries

Come on the Ampts do the deed for the Championship 

Edited by castleparknight - 02 May 2021 at 18:48
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 18:26
Unfortunately unless a ref starts handing out red cards like sweeties -  I cannot see any side beating the full Saracens side which would trouble the best in Europe. Money does indeed talk.
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 18:32
Of the remaining games involving the top 3 taking on lower-ranked sides, I guess Blues v ET & Cov v Sarries offer the highest (albeit still slim) chance of an upset...
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 18:43
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 20:53
Bedford match report gets a tad close to the knuckle on calling out sir....

Can’t recall as spicey an article re: sir in quite some time

Have to say Bedford have a lot to take from that game, unfortunately no points but really did go for it.
barbelhunter View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbelhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 08:56
Might be wrong but I think sir played in our colts side maybe 20 years back.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:59

Have to say Bedford have a lot to take from that game, unfortunately no points but really did go for it.

Yes think the match report goes a bit too far imo and was surprised when I read it. Used to be a lot more impartial! 
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 13:40

Yes think the match report goes a bit too far imo and was surprised when I read it. Used to be a lot more impartial! 
👏👏👏
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 18:51
What's the problem, did someone perceive the referee as being biased in favour of Bedford Blues?

isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 18:57
The Bedford report on its club website was surely written mostly to bolster their own (and Northampton's) players?

islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 19:01
Yes - the report (extract below) is an interesting read...

Some of the decisions that were starting to go against Bedford were sceptical at best and inhibited any sort of momentum swift in the game as everything was going the way of the hosts. Newman was adjudged to have gone high in the tackle and received a yellow card and Donny immediately took advantage as Olver slotted the penalty. 

That was the first time in the game they led proceedings but again Bedford came back off the canvas. They immediately went back on the front foot but were thwarted by the missing of a tip tackle on Jack Hughes which forced the subsequent knock-on. 

The tide had well and truly turned and you felt almost powerless to stop the pressure continue to build and you could feel the soul being sucked from the game. 

This could quite easily be up there with the biggest injustices in sports history for Bedford to not take anything from the game but that's exactly how it came to pass as McBryde got his second late on and Olver converted it to take the game away. 

Edited by islander - 03 May 2021 at 19:02
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 19:21
I think he probably means dubious rather than 'sceptical' but it's not particularly scathing about the ref?  I've seen worse on here...
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 19:21
Is it possibly somewhat tongue in cheek? “Up there with the biggest injustices in sports history” is perhaps just a bit hyperbolic? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic