National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Saxons renamed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shamrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saxons renamed
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:25
I see we are now doing away with the with Saxons name in the name of diversity and inclusion by the RFU

Quote from RFU 

We have chosen to revert to the traditional name of 'England A' for this fixture against 'Scotland A' as a better representation of our team today."

I guess London Irish will have to rebrand then as there is barely an Irishman, sorry player in the team!

Haven't they got anything better to do than virtual signallingAngry!
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:32
Originally posted by Shamrose Shamrose wrote:

I see we are now doing away with the with Saxons name in the name of diversity and inclusion by the RFU

Quote from RFU 

We have chosen to revert to the traditional name of 'England A' for this fixture against 'Scotland A' as a better representation of our team today.”

I guess London Irish will have to rebrand then as there is barely an Irishman, sorry player in the team!

I can see the reasoning behind this change of name and broadly agree with it. It does, however, raise a little conundrum. If we are to preclude names that reflect historic tribes that are not representative of modern populations, what are we to call England and Scotland in the future?

Edited by oneagainstthehead - 11 May 2021 at 11:35
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:49
I could be wrong, but I think there was a backlash when England A were renamed the Saxons in the first place, along the lines of why do we need these stupid Americanised team names (with apologies to fans of the Blues, Reds, Trailfinders, Knights, Pirates, Tigers, Warriors, Falcons, Bears, Sharks and Chiefs)?  So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Edited by Mark W-J - 11 May 2021 at 12:42
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 18:32
So where has the money been found to get the "A" Team going again?

The aspirational National Squads England Counties 18s, 20s and Senior Counties will not happen next season because the RFU won't fund them. What a complete shower of sh*t the RFU has become. 
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 19:22
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think there was a backlash when England A were renamed the Saxons in the first place, along the lines of why do we need these stupid Americanised team names (with apologies to fans of the Blues, Reds, Trailfinders, Knights, Pirates, Tigers, Warriors, Falcons, Bears, Sharks and Chiefs)?  So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Leicester Tigers were named using the local Regimental name, so who knows what that will throw into the mix, they took the name around 1885.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 20:12
Originally posted by Shamrose Shamrose wrote:

Quote from RFU 

We have chosen to revert to the traditional name of 'England A' for this fixture against 'Scotland A' as a better representation of our team today."

Haven't they got anything better to do than virtual signallingAngry!

For goodness sakes. Why are they wasting money on PC rubbish like this? 
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 20:15

Exactly my view. 

It was very depressing to read the comments in the Telegraph article today.  I play Telegraph Bull**** bingo and had a full card this morning with all the usual phrases - Woke, Virtual Signalling, BLM etc. 

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 21:00

More sensible names like
Oadby Wyggestonians
old Northamptonians
Old Thornensians
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 21:26
On a 0-10 scale of outrage about the scrapping of the Saxons label, with 10 being a nuclear self-combustion, I'm about 1.5, maybe 2...
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 22:06
I'm just glad to see the 'A' side playing again - though I'd prefer if they played some tier 2 nations to let people see teams that they normally don't get to (keeping in mind that that would be difficult this particular year).
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 09:04
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

I'm just glad to see the 'A' side playing again - though I'd prefer if they played some tier 2 nations to let people see teams that they normally don't get to (keeping in mind that that would be difficult this particular year).

This would be a great idea,it would also let tier 2 nations know where they are in terms of international rugby levels
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 10:20
Does it actually cost a lot of money to form an 'A' squad?  Especially when there is no travel costs if it's an England vs Scotland game.

Are you sure that the teams you have mentioned aren't running because of a lack of competitive rugby over the past 12 months which makes selecting players for those squads quite challenging?

Also, where have you got the news from that the Senior Counties won't run next season? All the news I've seen is quite to the contrary.

PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 20:07
Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

Does it actually cost a lot of money to form an 'A' squad?  Especially when there is no travel costs if it's an England vs Scotland game.

Are you sure that the teams you have mentioned aren't running because of a lack of competitive rugby over the past 12 months which makes selecting players for those squads quite challenging?

Also, where have you got the news from that the Senior Counties won't run next season? All the news I've seen is quite to the contrary.

373 guessing that is aimed at me.

Ok squad of 25 (23 players 2 backup) all getting paid (match fee) lets make the maths easy and say a £1K each = 25K

Management & Coaching Team probably minimum of 5 plus, Analyst, Doctor(s) Physio(s) min of 5 again.

4 Nights minimum in a suitable 4 Star Hotel near Leicester or possibly 2 nights at Pennyhill Park or The Lensbury for say a party of 35, then 2 nights (day before and night of game) in Leicester. So food and accommodation circa £10.5K bill.

Hire of Ground from Leicester Tigers cost unknown but I would guess around £5K 

Sundries, including player insurance, medical standbys (Ambulance on station at Ground) add another £5K

So yes just under £50K......... been told the last England Counties U18 2 game series cost around £60K.

BTW the Counties Aspirational programmes have been told there is no funding NEXT SEASON not this season as the programme was like the rest of the game paused.

So money is so tight they RFU can't fund the Counties National Squads next year but can find a lot of cash to run the Saxons, oh sorry the "A" Team........ "and they ain't gettin' on no plane!"

Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 16:39
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

Ok squad of 25 (23 players 2 backup) all getting paid (match fee) lets make the maths easy and say a £1K each = 25K

Management & Coaching Team probably minimum of 5 plus, Analyst, Doctor(s) Physio(s) min of 5 again.

4 Nights minimum in a suitable 4 Star Hotel near Leicester or possibly 2 nights at Pennyhill Park or The Lensbury for say a party of 35, then 2 nights (day before and night of game) in Leicester. So food and accommodation circa £10.5K bill.

Sundries, including player insurance, medical standbys (Ambulance on station at Ground) add another £5K

So yes just under £50K......... been told the last England Counties U18 2 game series cost around £60K.

BTW the Counties Aspirational programmes have been told there is no funding NEXT SEASON not this season as the programme was like the rest of the game paused.

So money is so tight they RFU can't fund the Counties National Squads next year but can find a lot of cash to run the Saxons, oh sorry the "A" Team........ "and they ain't gettin' on no plane!"

They spent all the money on changing Saxons to A.
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 16:48
Originally posted by PiffPaff PiffPaff wrote:

So the actual answer is that you don’t know but here’s some figures you’ve pulled out of thin air to prove a point. Okay. 
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 19:52
373 - They won't do it for nowt
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Monkey Boy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monkey Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 00:54
Bit of a difference between the England A team and an U18 squad for lads who aren’t good enough to play in the proper U18 England squad
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 17:27
Originally posted by Camp Freddie Camp Freddie wrote:

373 - They won't do it for nowt
I’m not saying they would. The figures just seem a bit plucked out of the air, especially when half the jobs would be done by salaried staff anyway. 

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the costs of such a game were mitigated by the ad revenue for the inside line that they put on YouTube for this game. 
Penda View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Penda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 16:59
Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

Bit of a difference between the England A team and an U18 squad for lads who aren’t good enough to play in the proper U18 England squad

You mean the state school lads who earned their way into the Counties side through county and regional games as opposed to the posh school/academy gym monkeys who get an easy ride because they are selected from a very small pool. 
tulip View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tulip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 07:38
Originally posted by Penda Penda wrote:

Originally posted by Monkey Boy Monkey Boy wrote:

You mean the state school lads who earned their way into the Counties side through county and regional games as opposed to the posh school/academy gym monkeys who get an easy ride because they are selected from a very small pool. 
I'm with you on that Penda.  Chris Harris, born Cumbria played Northumbria Uni 3rd XV then Carlisle Tynedale Newcastle Gloucester Scotland British Lions. England should have picked him up but he wasn't 
On the posh schools radar. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic