National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2020-21 Championship - Round 10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2020-21 Championship - Round 10
    Posted: 18 May 2021 at 16:59
Some big games coming up this weekend 👀 

Saturday 22nd May:
Hartpury v Jersey - 1.30pm
Ealing v Doncaster - 3pm
Coventry v Saracens - 5pm

Sunday 23rd May:
Ampthill v Richmond - 1pm
Nottingham v Bedford - 3pm

Edited by Donnyknightfan - 18 May 2021 at 17:03
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 17:14
Predictions:
Hartpury 1 - 5 Jersey - Jersey should be able to bounce back from their horror show against Cov.
Ealing 0 - 4 Doncaster - I realise there’s probably a hint of bias in this but Ealing didn’t look unbeatable against Bedford and Donny have had 3 weeks to prepare for this, with two free weekends in a row. If Donny can compete upfront then I think we have every chance of doing this. We need to make it a grind. 
Coventry 1 - 5 Saracens - is this a potentially awkward game for Sarries given the 5 day turnaround and possible resting of some big names?. Coventry are no mugs at home, especially with a noisy crowd behind them. Sarries to win but get a scare.
Ampthill 4 - 1 Richmond - Amps will be tired after their exerts against Saracens but at home I think they’ll have just enough to overcome a short turnaround.
Nottingham 1 - 5 Bedford - Nottingham are improving but I’ve seen Bedford in their last two games and they’ve played well without getting the rewards that they’ve deserved. Blues should take this but expect tries. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 08:32
A far more difficult set of fixtures to predict than last week when only Coventry surprised everyone, but here goes.

Hartpury 1-5 Jersey. Jersey will be on a mission following last week's reversal, but Hartpury can also score tries. I expect Jersey to win, but I can see the home side scoring 4 tries.
Ealing 5-0 Doncaster. I cannot share Donnyknightfan's optimism here and I expect Ealing to romp this one, but like last week, not by 50 points.
Coventry 0-5 Saracens. Saracens have one goal in mind, and that is to win every single remaining game by as many points as they can. They are ruthless. I cannot see Coventry stopping them, even if they themselves are on a role.
Ampthill 5-0 Richmond. Despite last Monday's heavy defeat, Ampthill played far better than the scoreline suggested. They will be playing with confidence, hopefully in front of a crowd, and will want to be winning the last two games of the season so they can cement a 6th spot.
Nottingham 5-2 Bedford. This one is hard to call. Nottingham are improving with every game, but Bedford play fast attractive rugby but keep slipping up. Could go either way.
B Cap View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B Cap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 09:03
Very few low scoring games in the last few weeks, lot of 5 pointers and expect it to continue:

Hartpury 5 - 2 Jersey - Not a lot in this, plenty of tries. Reds to slip up at the death. 
Ealing 5 - 1 Doncaster -  A tight first half but Trailfinders to nick it. Lets say 24-17. 
Coventry 0 - 5 Saracens  - talk of a Cov scare is surely deluded.  Sarries to kick on in inevitable fashion
Ampthill  5- 0 Richmond - Richmond done for the season I feel. Amps to bounce back at home.
Nottingham 2 - 5 Bedford - Notts have a little spring in their step but Blues too strong and will have their sights on the battle of Bedfordshire

Edited by B Cap - 19 May 2021 at 09:03
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 09:27
Hartpury 1-5 Jersey - Jersey will avenge last week's loss.
Ealing 5-0 Doncaster - Last week Ealing rotated quite a number of players, but they know that this match is almost a must win for the playoffs, so I think that they come out full strength. Donny also know that they need to win this one and blank Ealing, but I think Ealing will pull this one off, and go over 50 on the fast track at home. AND I'LL BE THERE TO WATCH!!!!
Coventry 2-5 Saracens - Saracens to be a bit beaten up, and Cov to come out flying with supporters, but fall just short.
Ampthill 5-0 Richmond - A's much better than the score against Sarries suggest.
Nottingham 0-5 Bedford - Nottingham may have beat Richmond, but they are really not good. Bedford is better than their record, and can always be counted on for the try of the week.

Of course, I only got one prediction right on the number, and only guessed even the OUTCOME correct on 2 games. So ignore me...

Edited by gerg_861 - 19 May 2021 at 16:42
Old Gold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 15:05

Ampthill         5 - 0      Richmond

Coventry         0 - 5      Saracens

Ealing           5 - 0      Doncaster

Hartpury         2 - 5      Jersey

Nottingham       2 - 5      Bedford

One Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 23:15
Turns out Ampthill won a pre-battle of Bedfordshire with try of the week! I thought it was probably 4th best.

Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 06:52

Hartpury v Jersey -1-5 Hartpury flattered to deceive, after a great first game never hit the mark since, Jersey smarting from last week

Ealing v Doncaster - 5-2 A lot closer than some think but money talks 

Coventry v Saracens - 0-5 One way traffic 5 day turn around or not!

Ampthill v Richmond -5-0 Ampthill by far the better of the last two promoted sides. Richmond look a band of journeyman from National 1 clubs thrown together with no quality in the side, they have been very disappointing and very poor in the last two games v Bedford and Nottingham

Nottingham v Bedford 2-5 Saints 2s to pull through, but Nottingham have made a decent fist of it as last week showed, well done them!

Edited by Scrumtime - 20 May 2021 at 07:59
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:17
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Hartpury v Jersey -1-5 Hartpury flattered to deceive, after a great first game never hit the mark since, Jersey smarting from last week

Ealing v Doncaster - 5-2 A lot closer than some think but money talks 

Coventry v Saracens - 0-5 One way traffic 5 day turn around or not!

Ampthill v Richmond -5-0 Ampthill by far the better of the last two promoted sides. Richmond look a band of journeyman from National 1 clubs thrown together with no quality in the side, they have been very disappointing and very poor in the last two games v Bedford and Nottingham

Nottingham v Bedford 2-5 Saints 2s to pull through, but Nottingham have made a decent fist of it as last week showed, well done them!

A bit harsh on Richmond - it was a great effort to get a squad together and take part in the competition IMO.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 12:09
It was a view that Richmond in my eyes, have been poor in the playing department.
Agree outstanding they are playing!
Agree great effort to get off the ground unlike London Scottish.
But my view is they have been poor and lack Championship quality!

marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 08:05
Richmond looked like they have struggled last couple of matches but did well earlier v Saracens and also beating full time Jersey. I understand there have been some key players missing and instead of raiding Prem academies have given their other squad members the opportunity to play Championship rugby. Ampthill very good in matches when they have their full list of dual reg players available from Saracens and Wasps. I understand the regulations are there to be used but something sad really when historic clubs like Bedford and Coventry plus the likes of Hartpury and Ampthill have at times more than half of their teams coming from clubs other than themselves.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 09:21
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

Richmond looked like they have struggled last couple of matches but did well earlier v Saracens and also beating full time Jersey. I understand there have been some key players missing and instead of raiding Prem academies have given their other squad members the opportunity to play Championship rugby. Ampthill very good in matches when they have their full list of dual reg players available from Saracens and Wasps. I understand the regulations are there to be used but something sad really when historic clubs like Bedford and Coventry plus the likes of Hartpury and Ampthill have at times more than half of their teams coming from clubs other than themselves.
Somewhat of an exaggeration there.
While I absolutely agree that clubs should use their own assets where possible, when you lose more than half your squad during the lockdown, plus a couple of million quid minimum in income, you do what you can when the devil pishes on your cornflakes.
Just checking the last three games (and I can't see any of the earlier ones being any different given how many are actually registered), Cov have started five loaners each time, with one on the bench (while also making space for young Academy players.
More than half?
Our City,
Our Club
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 09:58
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

While I absolutely agree that clubs should use their own assets where possible, when you lose more than half your squad during the lockdown, plus a couple of million quid minimum in income, you do what you can when the devil pishes on your cornflakes.
Just checking the last three games (and I can't see any of the earlier ones being any different given how many are actually registered), Cov have started five loaners each time, with one on the bench (while also making space for young Academy players.
More than half?
Excellent summary of both sides of the argument in these posts. Given the nature of this truncated season I'm happy with whatever clubs are doing to beg, borrow or scrape together the best playing resource they can to field a team each week. The performances of many clubs are bound to be inconsistent given the difficulties clubs have faced but its surely a great effort to come through all this and be playing in front of supporters again.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 10:55
Hartpury 5 Jersey 1
Ealing 5 Doncaster 1
Cov 1 Saracens 5
Ampthill 5 Richmond 0
Nottingham 1 Bedford 5
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:44
In my dreams the Ealing vs Donny game is very tight coming into the 80th minute Donny lead 21 to 20 (three tries a piece) Ealing are attacking our line when Kyle Evans intercepts a pass out wide, which if made would have sealed the win for Ealing, but Kyle sprints the length of the pitch touches down under the posts for an emphatic win, Olver converts,  Ealing 20 - Donny 28 (0 - 5) and Ealing are now dependent on Donny to lose against Nottingham the following week. To make the play offs

Now in reality - the above is a possibility but I know there is another possibility and I am not going to dwell on that.

COYK! COYK! COYK!
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 11:59
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:49

Ealing Trailfinders team to play Doncaster - Interesting selections for this week, a little bit concerned about lack of continuity with 5 changes, however the changes mostly come from folks who didn't have their best game last week (with the exception of Rayn). Excited to see Burns get a start, great to see Dean Hammond recovered from that horror concussion against Jersey. Slightly surprised to see Uzokwe not on the bench at all. This seems like a slightly speedier side than the one that has ran out lately. Yeeealing!

15. David Johnston

14. Angus Kernohan

13. Max Bodilly

12. Pat Howard

11. Dean Hammond

10. Craig Willis

9. Jordan Burns

1. James Gibbons

2. Shaun Malton

3. Lewis Thiede

4. Bobby De Wee

5. James Cannon

6. Max Northcote-Green

7. Guy Thompson

8. Kieran Murphy

Replacements -

16. Michael Van Vuuren

17. Will Davis

18. Kyle Whyte

19. Simon Linsell

20. Shane Buckley

21. Craig Hampson

22. Luke Daniels

23. Malon Al-Jiboori

Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 12:56
Five loaners tomorrow for Cov (and the return of Jack Ram for the first time this season)

15 Louis Brown; 14 Rob Stevenson, 13 Will Butt, 12 Will Owen, 11 Sam Aspland-Robinson; 10 Tony Fenner, 9 Joe Snow; 1 Toby Trinder, 2 Jordon Poole, 3 Phil Boulton, 4 Nile Dacres, 5 Adam Peters, 6 Sam Lewis, 7 Ben Nutley, 8 Ryan Burrows (capt)

16 Sam McNulty, 17 Luc Jeannot, 18 Alex Gibson, 19 Alex Woolford, 20 Jack Ram, 21 Pete White, 22 Evan Mitchell, 23 Rob Knox

Our City,
Our Club
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 13:24
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

More than half?
Excellent summary of both sides of the argument in these posts. Given the nature of this truncated season I'm happy with whatever clubs are doing to beg, borrow or scrape together the best playing resource they can to field a team each week. The performances of many clubs are bound to be inconsistent given the difficulties clubs have faced but its surely a great effort to come through all this and be playing in front of supporters again.

And the simple fact is without the time limited link with the Saints, there would be no Bedford this or next season. It is surely a sadder prospect to lose an historic club like that altogether than them playing a couple of seasons with borrowed players.  Now if that link extends longer than a couple of seasons then there is a debate to be had.
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Ealing Trailfinders team to play Doncaster - Interesting selections for this week, a little bit concerned about lack of continuity with 5 changes, however the changes mostly come from folks who didn't have their best game last week (with the exception of Rayn). Excited to see Burns get a start, great to see Dean Hammond recovered from that horror concussion against Jersey. Slightly surprised to see Uzokwe not on the bench at all. This seems like a slightly speedier side than the one that has ran out lately. Yeeealing!

15. David Johnston

14. Angus Kernohan

13. Max Bodilly

12. Pat Howard

11. Dean Hammond

10. Craig Willis

9. Jordan Burns

1. James Gibbons

2. Shaun Malton

3. Lewis Thiede

4. Bobby De Wee

5. James Cannon

6. Max Northcote-Green

7. Guy Thompson

8. Kieran Murphy

Replacements -

16. Michael Van Vuuren

17. Will Davis

18. Kyle Whyte

19. Simon Linsell

20. Shane Buckley

21. Craig Hampson

22. Luke Daniels

23. Malon Al-Jiboori

It will be interesting to see Burns from the off - I think it's fair to say on his time at Bedford he was always more effective coming off the bench than in the games he started, but how we'd love that gas back at GR!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic