National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Saracens v Ealing Trailfinders - Event Date: 22 May 2021 - 07 Jun 2021

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Aggregate points difference home / away
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [3.70%]
3 [11.11%]
10 [37.04%]
5 [18.52%]
2 [7.41%]
2 [7.41%]
4 [14.81%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Saracens v Ealing Trailfinders
    Posted: 25 May 2021 at 16:37
Can anyone see Ealing pulling this off. My wish is that we put up a really good fight and do not allow them to run riot over us.

There are a few players who may just have an eye on the British Lions tour.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 17:13
If Ealing pull it off over two llegs - it will be a miracle.
This is not Exeter beating Bristol. Exeter had almost as much budget as Bristol at that point.
This isthe 2020 European Champions and I do not see how that team is costing much less than it did in 2020.  Will it comply with 2022 Premiership caps - who knows. They may need to let players go fo next season.

The Saracens side would beat Italy, Scotland or England and give Ireland or France a run for its money.

Ealing might have the largest budget in the Championship - but it is peanut in comparison.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 17:22
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

If Ealing pull it off over two llegs - it will be a miracle.
This is not Exeter beating Bristol. Exeter had almost as much budget as Bristol at that point.
This is the 2020 European Champions and I do not see how that team is costing much less than it did in 2020.  Will it comply with 2022 Premiership caps - who knows. They may need to let players go fo next season.

The Saracens side would beat Italy, Scotland or England and give Ireland or France a run for its money.

Ealing might have the largest budget in the Championship - but it is peanut in comparison.

Eh???

corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 17:24
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Can anyone see Ealing pulling this off. My wish is that we put up a really good fight and do not allow them to run riot over us.

There are a few players who may just have an eye on the British Lions tour.
If the match officials are ruthless and red card a bunch of Sarries players Ealing could easily win it. Seems unlikely but strange things happen in rugby.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 17:34
I mean t2019 where has the time gone

Sweeney Delenda Est
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 19:45
The game back in April was a bit of a reality check for just how big the gap is (it wasn’t particularly surprising to me mind) but to be fair Saracens are no ordinary relegated team. 

Hoping for a first leg at Vallis Way so that there is still some interest in the second leg which I think may be on BT. 
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 20:20
I think Saracens will win by 25 points over the two legs but I think Ealing will give them a rattle at Vallis Way. A lot depends on who the referees are for the games, hoping Ealing get a fair go from the officials and they don’t have pre-ordained ideas about Sarries’ superiority. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 21:19
I would guess that the first leg will be at Vallis Way, and I know it will be broadcast by Premier Sports. I think that at Vallis Way, Ealing will put up a better fight. A few factors for and against:

For a closer match: 
1. Bobby De Wee will be back - he has an edge that will help keep the team from being overawed, and might just draw some silly penalties from Saracens. I think he'll fire up the team as well. He survived a shark attack, he can handle the wolfpack.
2. Fans - There aren't huge numbers, but I'd be surprised if there are less than 1500 Trailfinders fans to cheer them on, and to help keep Sir from being too one-sided.
3. Well rested - With the exception of a few players (Adam Korczyk, Alun Walker), Ealing should be at pretty much full strength with 3 weeks between matches. Some of the guys who turned out for the last game were pretty banged up, but desperate to play - not this time.
4. Less shock and awe - It looked like some of the players were a bit deferential to start the match, but got over it as time went on. I don't think we'll have that problem again.
5. Focus off the playoffs: Some of these players may be thinking about Lions matches.

Against a closer match:
1. Returning loanees: Saracens already had a ridiculously strong team (how are they under the cap), but they have Alex Goode back, and I believe that they'll get Lozowski back as well for the playoffs. Boo.
2. Can't think of anything else.

Honestly, I give Ealing about a one in five chance of pulling off the upset at home, and a one in fifty chance of taking the two legged playoff. It is utterly ridiculous that the team with the most Lions, and that can start a full 15 of capped internationals is playing in the Championship at all, but I'll still be there to cheer on the Trailfinders. Who knows, it could happen.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 21:40
This why 2-legged play-offs don't do anything in rugby except favour the "bigger" team. Even if Ealing beat Sarries at home, you know they'd get dominated in Barnet. I do hope I get proven wrong and that Ealing can upset the apple cart.
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 07:03
Just go out there - do your best - make Sarries know they have been in a competition and prepare for next year when the door to the prem will be held wide open for one Championship Team.

Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2021 at 07:59
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Just go out there - do your best - make Sarries know they have been in a competition and prepare for next year when the door to the prem will be held wide open for one Championship Team.

Great post mate. Howay Ealing make Sarries earn it like Donny made Bris work for it a few years back.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2021 at 16:50
The two legged scenario is Saracens favour in my opinion. I honestly believe that it is possible for Ealing to win the home game but even then it would have to be an exceptional game with outstanding performances on the day from several key players.
Having been a member for almost 40 years and in our 150th season I am astonished that we are in this position and involved in the playoff for who gains promotion to the Premiership.
I will be there with my best friends who both captained Ealing first team and who I played with in the first team for 15 years in the National leagues.
It is a shame that there will not be a full capacity crowd but the Ealing supporters will make themselves heard. To say I am looking forward to the encounter is an under statement and miracles do happen in sport !.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic