National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedChampionship 2021-2022 signings and departures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 21:38
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

London Welsh had lots of ambition 

So did Exeter.

They backed up their ambition with a long term strategy, investment into facilities/supplementary income streams and most importantly a substantially larger fan base than any club currently in the championship. There are no clubs in the championship who have anything resembling the plan they had.

Edited by Bluesman11 - 31 Aug 2021 at 21:38
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 12:12
Conrad Cade - Prop (Newcastle Falcons), Gus Warr - Scrum Half (Sale Sharks) & Will Vaughan - Prop (Bath Rugby) to be dual registered with the Knights for the season. And that's our lot (I think) for this season with an average age 24.67 years. 31 players so hope we do not have any lengthy injuries or suspensions.

Edited by castleparknight - 01 Sep 2021 at 12:15
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 14:43
Conrad Cade - Prop (Newcastle Falcons), Gus Warr - Scrum Half (Sale Sharks) & Will Vaughan - Prop (Bath Rugby) to be dual registered with the Knights for the season. And that's our lot (I think) for this season with an average age 24.67 years. 31 players so hope we do not have any lengthy injuries or suspensions.

Strong squad you have there, interesting to see how it goes!

corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2021 at 16:55

So did Exeter.

They backed up their ambition with a long term strategy, investment into facilities/supplementary income streams and most importantly a substantially larger fan base than any club currently in the championship. There are no clubs in the championship who have anything resembling the plan they had.
Can you think of any other premiership sides with a business plan which doesn't largely depend on someone with deep pockets?
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 08:46
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Can you think of any other premiership sides with a business plan which doesn't largely depend on someone with deep pockets?

Would Exeter Chiefs members have had a business plan without the significant support from Tony Rowe and SW Communications?
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

Strong squad you have there, interesting to see how it goes!

Here is hoping they do well, top 4 and I would be happy. I think there are a number of teams who have signed well this year.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 10:54

So did Exeter.

I think that all depends where you start your timeline from. I went to university in Exeter in 99/00 and watched them at the County Ground when the average gate was about 1050. Teams that season with a larger average gate *then* were Coventry, Moseley, Leeds, Rotherham, Worcester, Rugby Lions (seriously) - and Henley and London Welsh were within 100 of them.

I would argue that their performance and their plan grew the gate - and if you're saying that they had Devon to play with as a *potential* fan base if their plan came off then I'd agree with you. But the fan base came along later. I know levels 2 and 3 are in danger of withering on the vine, but there're still clubs that expect to get 1000 through the gates - otherwise all Moseley need is, er, every other element of their plan and the potential fanbase of well over a million just in Birmingham will see us leave Exeter for dust...

Edited by billesleyexile - 02 Sep 2021 at 10:58
keep the faith
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 14:01
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

So did Exeter.

I think that all depends where you start your timeline from. I went to university in Exeter in 99/00 and watched them at the County Ground when the average gate was about 1050. Teams that season with a larger average gate *then* were Coventry, Moseley, Leeds, Rotherham, Worcester, Rugby Lions (seriously) - and Henley and London Welsh were within 100 of them.

I would argue that their performance and their plan grew the gate - and if you're saying that they had Devon to play with as a *potential* fan base if their plan came off then I'd agree with you. But the fan base came along later. I know levels 2 and 3 are in danger of withering on the vine, but there're still clubs that expect to get 1000 through the gates - otherwise all Moseley need is, er, every other element of their plan and the potential fanbase of well over a million just in Birmingham will see us leave Exeter for dust...

The catalyst for Exeter was that were able to sell their ground at a good time in the property boom. That financed the new stadium and they have been very savvy ever since.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 15:17
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

So did Exeter.

The catalyst for Exeter was that were able to sell their ground at a good time in the property boom. That financed the new stadium and they have been very savvy ever since.

yes, they called that perfectly - but they were also lucky that the city itself was right at the start of a great boom. The Exeter of 1999 was an incredibly sleepy backwater, and just nothing like it is now.

Anyway, back to signings/departures.
keep the faith
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2021 at 15:23
"yes, they called that perfectly - but they were also lucky that the city itself was right at the start of a great boom. The Exeter of 1999 was an incredibly sleepy backwater, and just nothing like it is now."

True, and the rise of the rugby club contributed to that in a big way. The council were always very supportive as they could see the benefits premier rugby would bring to the city - unlike the council here in Cornwall!
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 15:42
So, do predict which club will be the next Exeter?
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2021 at 17:14
Originally posted by isleonian isleonian wrote:

So, do predict which club will be the next Exeter?

Take it to its own thread! This one is to inform about comings and goings this season.
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 08:44
Propping up the board
AmpthillRUFC View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 16:17
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 16:37
Originally posted by AmpthillRUFC AmpthillRUFC wrote:

https://www.ampthillrufc.com/three-warriors-to-join-the-mob/

Looks like it's been pulled from the site.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 18:41
Link works now
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 13:49
Amused to read the Ampthill announcement shortly after reading the Guardian Premiership Review which mentions Fin Smith as. “Prodigiously talented” fly-half, implying that he will start for Worcester! Presumably they preferred the pragmatic approach.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 14:52
Was never formally announced by Bedford but can only assume Jamie Elliott has signed for the club given he started against Jersey last week.

Edited by Bluesman11 - 29 Sep 2021 at 14:52
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 14:14
And he starts again tomorrow night - probs making up the numbers until a better offer comes in like last time.
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 15:04
Can we adjust our match predictions in the thread now this news has been released Ermm Wink
For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic