National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Topic ClosedChampionship 2021-2022 signings and departures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 23:09
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Do we know what the regulations are for non-English players for next season?

With the trivial funding nowadays it really doesn’t matter? One of the “benefits” of reduced funding from the RFU there’s no incentive for playing English players.
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 11:07
That is not the point, new rules will apply, and we are waiting to see what is put in place of the Kolpak agreement which is no longer valid now we are outside the EU. If we replace it with a points based system, then all players without a UK ancestor will have to have a certain level of international experience or perhaps the club will have to justify why they need an overseas player , for example if there are no English players available to fill the role. I am sure that this will increase the numbers in the match day squad. In most leagues before Kolpak clubs were only allowed 2 overseas players in their match day squad.

Edited by workerbee - 18 Jun 2021 at 11:08
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:16
What happens when you have bottomless pits of cash! Hope they get in the top division at some point otherwise it will have all been for nothing
paddym View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 13:37
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

What happens when you have bottomless pits of cash! Hope they get in the top division at some point otherwise it will have all been for nothing

Possibly time for a change of coaching staff? Current staff seem to have taken them as far as they can.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 13:48
Originally posted by paddym paddym wrote:

Possibly time for a change of coaching staff? Current staff seem to have taken them as far as they can.
As in ‘can’t beat three times European champions fielding 12 internationals (900ish caps between them) and 7 present or former Lions’? Maybe a bit harsh. I’m not sure any coaching set up could have substantially altered that equation.

Edited by oneagainstthehead - 18 Jun 2021 at 13:50
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 14:23
Originally posted by oneagainstthehead oneagainstthehead wrote:

Originally posted by paddym paddym wrote:

As in ‘can’t beat three times European champions fielding 12 internationals (900ish caps between them) and 7 present or former Lions’? Maybe a bit harsh. I’m not sure any coaching set up could have substantially altered that equation.

Agreed but adherence to the salary cap regulations would have. 
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 15:47
Raft of re-signings today for Ealing while I've been stuck on the parking lot that disguises itself as the M25:

Adam Korczyk (back row) - was gutted with the awful injury he picked up early in the season, so glad to see him back in the fold, and also not just cast adrift.

Simon Uzokwe (backrow) - was very impressed with him early in the season, trailed off (no pun intended) in the last few games, but still a very handy player.

Shane Buckley (backrow) - He's fine, but I feel like he's also hit his ceiling as a very solid Championship squad player.

Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 18:40
Bedford Blues are delighted to announce that two of our most experienced Championship forwards, Joe Atkinson and Jordan Onojaife, have committed their futures to Goldington Road for the 2021/22 Championship season
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:44

Ealing leavers list. I don't know where everyone is going, but I've tried to capture below. "Only" 14 people moving on is pretty good for Ealing. 

Kieran Murphy - retiring. Has been a stalwart for the club  and a great physical presence in the back row. I will admit that he seemed to have lost a step this year, as I didn't see him crashing through the middle of the field to the extent that he had in previous years.

Elliot Millar Mills - Wasps A big loss. A forward with good hands, and a great scrummager. If you watched the 2nd playoff match, then you'll see how much better the scrum was until he was taken off at 50 minutes. After that, they were destroyed. A real concern, and needs to be replaced (though that will be difficult), as with Walker out, the Ealing scrum was very average.

Ben West - retiring

Guy Thompson - Jersey. Guy was a very rapid over the ball type 7, who brought incredible pace at his age. I am gutted that he is moving on, but he couldn't quite pip (very different play style) Simon Uzokwe. I personally would have started Guy, but I'm not DoR.

Bobby Beattie - Honestly can't remember this guy.

Johannes Jonker - Bath. Looked good when he was on the field, but didn't see much of him.

Dean Hammond - Terrible luck with injuries. Looked great in the Trailfinders cup, horror concussion against Jersey. Best wishes for the future.

Nathan Fowles - 3rd number 9. Didn't see the field this year. Looked fine when he was on last year.

Fraser Strachan - Never quite lived up to the potential that I think people saw. Hope things work out in the future.

Jack Tovey - Haven't seen a lot of Tuvs this year, but I've always liked what I've seen. Sad to see him go.

Michael Van Vuuren - Okay hooker, not accurate enough at the lineout. Clearly 3rd in pecking order.

Jack Rouse - Can't remember him.

Josh Pierterse - Spent most of his time on loan.

Oli Robinson - Spent most of his time on loan.

Edited by gerg_861 - 23 Jun 2021 at 13:45
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 13:13
Oli Robinson was more then decent on loan at Blues and I would be happy if we were to pick him up, if we have enough budget?
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 23:39
Blues retain wingers Tapley and Robson.

I think Robinson will be at Blues next season. He did play well but I can see why he was released by Ealing as he is a good Championship player at the moment rather than a lower end Premiership player.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 09:19
Ealing re-sign James Gibbons and Will Davis in the front row.
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 20:02
Blues retain prop Corrie Barrett and hooker Jacob Fields
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
dunc999 View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 15:10
Hooley been released by Sarries - I would imagine he will be back in the Championship, doubt the Blues will be affording him and Maisey though at fly half so Ampthill maybe if they are spending on the squad?
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 16:32
Ealing address their biggest glaring hole by signing Bill Johnston to be their 3rd choice fly half.
Whistle watcher View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 18:40
Originally posted by gerg_861 gerg_861 wrote:

Ealing address their biggest glaring hole by signing Bill Johnston to be their 3rd choice fly half.

Money for that level (depth) of backup plan must be nice.
Guinness John View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 20:34
Would prefer to be signing players on the way up career wise, not down . How much game time did Hooley get at Sarries. Also injury prone. Wonder if he'll make the Canada team again? Doubt it for the same reason. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 21:02
Blues sign Josh Pieterse from Ealing (Doncaster) - prop. Former Blues academy player.

Hooley plays for USA... he was a good at controlling games with his kicking but wasn’t really a Blues fly half as he never made a break.

Edited by The Blues - 28 Jun 2021 at 21:02
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:19
Ealing will announce 4 signing today. So far two hookers, Tadgh McElroy who has spent some time with Bristol, Connaght, Saracens, and Bedford, and Jan-Henning Campher, a South African who joins from Lions. Of the two, Jan-Henning looks the more interesting to me as he is a 24 year old that has appeared for South AFrica at under 20s and has made 29 Super Rugby appearances already. That will make 4 Hookers on the Ealing squad, with Alun Walker due to be out with injury for some time. 

Ealing also add a loosehead Dylan Smith. I'm a bit surprised by this as I thought we'd need a tighthead to replace Millar-Mills. Looks a very handy player as he has 2 Super Rugby appearances for Lions and spent the last season at Stade Francais.

Finally, Len Massyn, a huge back rower comes in, also from Lions (I'd love to know how we ended up with so many players from there). He can play 6 and 8, which still leaves me wondering if we have anyone lined up to replace Guy Thompson? Anyhow, has 16 Super Rugby appearances under his belt, and should be quite useful. I could easily see Ealing starting six or seven South Africans and three or four Irishmen in their 15 next year.

Edited by gerg_861 - 29 Jun 2021 at 16:59
Runitback View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:27
It will be interesting to see if there is a sudden increase in recruitment given the opportunity to join the Premiership now? Ealing, Donny, Cov and Pirates . . . Ealing obviously keen but are the others . . stick or twist?
Run with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
  Share Topic