National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Champ P-O final

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:05
Erm…..I have one in mind, but only if it happens legitimately 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:07
Ealing collapse…..why?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:07
43 - 10
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:09
Sarries woke up.
Sweeney Delenda Est
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:23
At least Ealing managed to score a try at the death (not counting the penalty try). Schmid also dropped it over the line.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:31
Oh well, well done Sarries, unlucky Ealing maybe next season
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 17:43
Not a great result for the championship….. a hundred point deficit…. Cry

Let’s hope a lesser team is relegated next season abs they still allow a promotion pathway 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 18:11
If they have promotion and relegation next season, Ealing must be favourites for promotion.
Even if they enforce a play-off, I think Ealing would compete with this season's Worcester.

Ideally they would have no relegation next season, but promote one Championship side to make fourteen.
As then, I think Ealing could stay up and another side - possibly Pirates - would have a chance of promotion the following year.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 18:41
Ealing were much better today. Ran out of steam after half time, but if they played every week at this pace would improve even more. notice the different demeanours of some of the Lions players after the game. No doubt thought the whole thing was beneath them. They're very young.
pappashanga
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 19:07
Still got a bad taste about this contrived season, no relegation from the Prem because of the covid affected season, but promotion allowed from the championship after a covid affected season 🤔🤔🤔🤔
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 19:21
KB the contrived Championship season only happened because Saracens chose to be relegated rather than have their books looked into in more detail. Had they not been in the league only the Premiership would have taken place. Well done to Ealing for a much better 40 minutes than last week.
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 19:55
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Still got a bad taste about this contrived season, no relegation from the Prem because of the covid affected season, but promotion allowed from the championship after a covid affected season 🤔🤔🤔🤔

This season should not have happened under the circumstances. We all know it happened just to get Sarries promoted. I expected Saracens to stroll the tie over two legs but a 100 point deficit isn’t ideal for our league. Mind you Ealing can’t really be blamed for that when you see what they’re up against. It is my belief that relegating Saracens was a mistake and that, for the sake of the Championship, they should have been given some other punishment but still retained their Premiership place. I would have banned them from Europe for 3 years and in that time they would have had to operate under a reduced salary cap in comparison to the other Premiership sides. Sarries would have still stayed up with this punishment because there’s a lot of teams at the bottom that don’t spend up to the cap anyway. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 20:48
Well, that was a tale of two halves, wasn't it? I thought Ealing played quite well, while Saracens were incredibly sloppy in the first half. I'd have given Ealing a 7 out of 10, while Saracens would have gotten about a 3 out of 10 at most. The second half was quite the other way around, and a Saracens 7 out of 10 will crush an Ealing 3 out of 10.

I am not sure what happened in the second half to cause Ealing to crumble - given how quickly it happened, it wasn't really being worn down. I'd guess that the Saracens were read the riot act at the half, and responded.

Overall, strangely, the thing that I found most frustrating in this match was Rayn Smid not finishing that well-worked try. It was already over at that point, but it really sapped whatever energy was left, and let the scoreboard get quite ugly.

Also, I still can't figure out what was going on with Craig Hampson in both matches, glacially slow most of the time, to the point that he'd just stare at the ball while his team got pushed off it. I was literally yelling at my screen today on several occasions.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 20:48
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Ealing collapse…..why?

I was also baffled.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 21:34
I was surprised and disappointed after the first half. But never mind playing a team with that quality I struggle to think of many that would have would have won it.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 22:52
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Totally agree, it's a travesty.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 23:09
That side would thrash most Premiership sides and trouble the top four.
Frankly, aside from South Africa, the All Blacks and France, I am not sure who could guarantee to beat it. England having the problem that it would lose key players.

But I agree Saracens needed to be seen to be punished, but commercially the Premiership needs Saracens - so they had to be given a route back.

Worcester, however, have been appalling all season - winning one match on the pitch iirc - and deserved to be relegated.
Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 04:58
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

KB the contrived Championship season only happened because Saracens chose to be relegated rather than have their books looked into in more detail. Had they not been in the league only the Premiership would have taken place. Well done to Ealing for a much better 40 minutes than last week.

Now leaves Championship with 11 clubs. So ten home games, if a cup competition occurs, one group would be three not four, and RFU funding slashed.

Begs the question, are we elite or community?
If the latter, when did (without wanting to be misogynistic) become a lesser league to Premier 15s which I believe to be ‘elite’?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 05:02
Final thought, for the moment.

If Blackadders ‘Bob’ was at the RFU, she might say she wanted to see how a league was run, so badly. 
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 09:52
I am not sure how you can compare the two.

One is complete mismanagement of a situation by a bunch of geriatrics with too much interest in gin, leading to the pointless waste of millions - and the other is the First World War.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic