National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU blueberries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 15:16
The problem is you cannot run a professional team on the money you can raise on the gate. At least not if the gate is in the order of 1,000.

If you want rugby for the fans - as oppossed to the vicarious viewers - it is goig to be semi-professional.
Sweeney Delenda Est
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 15:16
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

Maybe you’re right, perhaps the answer is to bring the Union and League laws closer together and consolidate that way. Sacrilege I know. 
Destruction of both sports in one easy action.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 15:49
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

Maybe you’re right, perhaps the answer is to bring the Union and League laws closer together and consolidate that way. Sacrilege I know. 

I just feel with the ongoing concussion law changes this might just happen one day. Anyway off on a tangent apologies. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 17:07
I am of the opinion that the decisions of the RFU over amateurism and opposing competition are some of the worst decisions by a sporting body - and we are living with the consequences.

While I think a single code could be stronger than two - I am not sure what compromises I would be prepared to make to the laws to bring the other clubs back on board - and I suspect they would have the same view.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 17:27
Isn't one big difference between English and French rugby that the latter is centred on towns or cities and often have municipal support? French Leagues are much more local, with the exception of the two Paris Clubs.

I think the worst RFU decision was to ignore professionalisation and allow the Clubs to take ownership of the professional players. If we had followed the Kiwis in centrally contracting players, we'd all be better off now.

My Premiership rugby watching is now limited to the Monday night Channel 5 highlights show, the rest of the time I'll go to my Club and watch what is on there. 
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 18:04
Halliford, may I comment "well said"?

Sadly the RFU did a huge disservice to rugby in England when it allowed the Premiership Clubs to call the roost. And then it oversaw the disbandment of the County and Divisional structure.

Is anyone in rugbypolitical power willing to promote a root and branch investigation and restructure proposal?

Is it true that Yorkshire alone has a larger player base than both New Zealand and south Africa?

Where to next my friends?
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 18:12
Originally posted by OldNick OldNick wrote:

The only way that will happen will be if the rebel code admit they were wrong and reunite with the one true code.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 15:24
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I am of the opinion that the decisions of the RFU over amateurism and opposing competition are some of the worst decisions by a sporting body - and we are living with the consequences....

To be fair to the RFU (words I never thought I'd say) UEFA put them in the shade by telling a team who had just spent the last half-hour standing to form a protective cordon around a team-mate whilst medics tried to save his life that they had to complete the game that evening or the following morning thus showing absolutely zero regard for the welfare of those involved. 
Camp Freddie View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camp Freddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 23:29
I'm not sure if this debate point of recombining the 2 codes is tongue in cheek or not.

I live in a town of 6 Rugby clubs, only one plays Rugby Union. All except the fully professional Rugby League club have hundreds of kids every Sunday morning turn up. All six high schools in town play Rugby, none play Rugby Union, even though one was an RFU All School for the duration of time where they got the kit on offer and went back to Rugby League.

I would say 90% of the town would walk over hot coals before re-combine
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 09:34
Originally posted by Camp Freddie Camp Freddie wrote:

I would say 90% of the town would walk over hot coals before re-combine

Quite right too.
Two great games. Keep it that way.
Our City,
Our Club
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 09:58
Camp Freddie - I think what you describe is fairly typical of most northern towns. All the junior schools in my old Lancashire Town all play RL and always have done. It was only if you went to the grammar school (long since converted to a comp) that you were then converted to union. League is also much easier to teach to young kids - basically touch rugby with tackling and play the ball. Despite a few "outposts" RL is still primarily an M62 corridor sport and I can't see that changing EVER. A World Cup that is only ever going to be won by Oz or NZ even more so now GB has been devolved to the independent nations. A bit similar to Baseball "World Series" (US & Canada)
I agree with Kimbo - 2 great sports that I hope can thrive. The more pressing question is how we attract kids into Union in the North? 
373 View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:02
It's interesting that Ealing had previously been in exactly the same position:

The truth of the matter is that every sport in the world has a minimum criteria for grounds/venues and to pretend otherwise is a little bit silly. It's very hard to sell the idea of an elite level game to broadcasters when it looks like a games being played on a pitch behind the local leisure centre. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 10:28
I think Sale, Doncaster, Caldy, Leeds, Sale FC, Rotherham, Hull Ionians etc show you can run a gate taking Union club in the League heartlands.

Yorkshire has more clubs than any other CB.
Lancashire have25 county championship wins.

Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 12:01
Thanks Camquin - I was going to say something about hordes of people play in Yorkshire

Edited by castleparknight - 17 Jun 2021 at 12:04
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:28
So long as union remains principally a winter game one can have the best of both worlds pretty well all year round with cricket on Saturdays and rugby league on Sundays in the summer?
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:30
But not a huge amount of Rugby League in either Leicester or Exeter?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 14:12
You would be surprised. Both have university sides.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 23:27
Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

The truth of the matter is that every sport in the world has a minimum criteria for grounds/venues and to pretend otherwise is a little bit silly. It's very hard to sell the idea of an elite level game to broadcasters when it looks like a games being played on a pitch behind the local leisure centre. 

Show me the criteria for any of the pro/semi-pro football leagues within England, Wales Scotland or Northern Ireland.  
Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 08:17
Originally posted by Richard Lowther Richard Lowther wrote:

Originally posted by 373 373 wrote:

Show me the criteria for any of the pro/semi-pro football leagues within England, Wales Scotland or Northern Ireland.  
This is true. Footy clubs have enough sense to use grounds to suit whichever division they're aspiring to. I mean, look at Sheffield Wednesday...
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 10:33
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic