National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU blueberries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFU blueberries
    Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 21:08
They really never stop, do they? RFU picks the optimal day to bring this out. No reason to realistically do this, but a great way to annoy supporters and broadcast partners. I cancelled my hospitality tickets to USA - England. I'm done supporting the RFU.

Richard Lowther View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Lowther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 21:21

The RFU has also confirmed Saracens’s StoneX stadium has passed the criteria, despite undergoing development work which means it will not have the necessary capacity by the start of next season. The RFU has said its criteria allows for dispensation for clubs to reduce capacity for improvements and that Saracens applied for it while still in the Premiership.

Censored

Moderator National League Rugby Message Boards

Remember Wakefield RFC
dumbape View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dumbape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 21:44
Just another example of the complete failure of the RFU to understand their real role in the game. They screwed up the Sarries disciplinary situation, have alienated clubs and supporters and have made bad decisions for decades. The shareholders in the game ie the counties and clubs continue to be screwed over while at the elite level, reform is stifled to protect minority interests.
What a blessing it would be if we could open and shut our ears as easily as we open and shut our eyes!
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 22:36
(deleted)

Edited by CJB1 - 12 Jun 2021 at 22:37
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 23:51
There is but one word - WABOC
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 00:39
Kiwifruits
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Rucking Idiot View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rucking Idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 07:46
When will the RFU realise that the structure of the game has changed massively since the 1970's;
We no longer rely on public & grammar schools to keep a steady stream of young adults into the game;
It's the hundred of the "Junior" clubs that start coaching children from the age of 4;
I ask the following question because I don't know;
"How many Premier clubs coach multitudes minis & juniors, or hold festivals?"
Please don't say the Saracens Academy for all they do is take the promising youngsters away from their roots & friends and when / if they don't develop are casted aside as failures and a lot are lost to the game;
Maybe the RFU should be run like a majority of clubs by unpaid volunteers who do it just for the love of the game...
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's just my rucking luck!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 18:48
They're playing dirty again. It is so hypocritical when the Premiership sides all started the Pro era in grounds like Ealing's yet when they get stadiums, pull up the drawbridge so the smaller clubs don't get a chance. The Minimum Standards Criteria is nothing more than an excuse to keep the old boys club together. The RFU has the same problem that the rebel code have only they are bit more subtle about it.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 19:41
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

They're playing dirty again. It is so hypocritical when the Premiership sides all started the Pro era in grounds like Ealing's yet when they get stadiums, pull up the drawbridge so the smaller clubs don't get a chance. The Minimum Standards Criteria is nothing more than an excuse to keep the old boys club together. The RFU has the same problem that the rebel code have only they are bit more subtle about it.

I wouldn't worry about it, after today's first leg result the RFU have got what they wanted.

Saracens could field a totally different 15 next week, without any internationals, and still get promoted.
RAID ON
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 05:45
Unfortunately Raider you miss the point completely - or are being  obtuse - RFU making this ‘ruling’ at a time like this just goes to prove how out of touch they really are and how clearly in the pocket of the PRL that they sit. 

Shame on you RFU - vote of no confidence 

Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 08:10
Dean Richards had a headline in the rugby paper saying that so many players were now being lost effectively as they have nowhere to go if another Premiership club doesn’t pick them up. I guess their only real option is France, a few rich Championship clubs or to take a real hit in earnings hoping to be picked up again by a Premiership club after impressing for a season.

Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 09:52
The unintended consequences of ring fencing are just so obvious to us in the Championship, a shame that the Prem and RFU are so myopic. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:43
As ever the problem is French TV is willing to pay more for Rugby than British TV is.
The RU has chosen to spend money propping up the Premiership clubs to make them competitie against the French in European rugby
If you do that, there is very little to spend on anything else.

The big problem with the championship and lower is it gets no exposure. Lower league soccer gets exposure beause the BBC reads out the score every Saturday - and people used to watch because they were doing the football pools.

Because it gets no exposure, there is no value iin sponsoring it. And it is that much harder to interest a TV channel in showing it.

And half the council think we are uppity clubs that steal their best players by offering them  money in brown envelopes and would rather all rugby was played on a ploughed field behind a pub to one man and his dog.

Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 11:59
CQ makes some really good points. The actual streaming figures for this season's Championship matches when no one could actually visit the grounds were hugely lower than the clubs themselves predicted. In some cases less than 50% of the predicted numbers. If actual members/supporters of the Championship clubs were not prepared to spend £10 on watching their team from the comfort of their own home when there was Rhubarb all else to do on a Saturday afternoon I can fully understand why no broadcaster wants to show the matches. The support for French clubs below their top league is on a totally different level to that in  primarily due to history and culture, and that is then reflected in the TV deal. Sadly, but ultimately correctly, there is simply not enough money to sustain a full time second division in England. Maybe the Prem could expand to 14 or at a big outside chance 16 but certainly not 20-24 which is what you will need for two viable leagues
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:25
Maybe you’re right, perhaps the answer is to bring the Union and League laws closer together and consolidate that way. Sacrilege I know. 
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:36
[QUOTE=marigold] If actual members/supporters of the Championship clubs were not prepared to spend £10 on watching their team from the comfort of their own home when there was Rhubarb all else to do on a Saturday afternoon I can fully understand why no broadcaster wants to show the matches.

This is the real problem. Supporters don't want to put their hands in their own pockets to pay and blame the RFU, the premiership and anyone else they can think of rather than recognize the fact.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 12:45
Yes, it appears that streaming 'attendances' were quite low.
However, it was a novel thing that maybe many were not comfortable with? This would naturally improve with the passage of time.
Further, the assertion that it was just Saturday afternoons is a bit misleading. KO times and days were all over the place (understandably, given the production company's needs/limitations) and likely clashed with fans' habitual mores/work patterns etc.
Importantly, too, I'm willing to bet that quite a few people had 'watch parties' or at least watched with a partner/spouse who would normally attend the ground. Their statistic(s) and spend are therefore lost.
Finally, quite a few views were lost due the the stupid decision to disallow a 'replay' watch, or time-shift to enable those who could not watch at the prescribed KO time (when the clubs self-organized, this was possible, and only when streaming was centralized did this become an issue. Personally I streamed every match bar one (Jersey) which was impossible due to pre-arranged family commitments. I'd still have bunged my tenner though if the replay option were still possible).
Yes, it could have been far better, but it was far better than nothing.
Our City,
Our Club
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 13:29
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

CQ makes some really good points. The actual streaming figures for this season's Championship matches when no one could actually visit the grounds were hugely lower than the clubs themselves predicted. In some cases less than 50% of the predicted numbers. If actual members/supporters of the Championship clubs were not prepared to spend £10 on watching their team from the comfort of their own home when there was Rhubarb all else to do on a Saturday afternoon I can fully understand why no broadcaster wants to show the matches. The support for French clubs below their top league is on a totally different level to that in  primarily due to history and culture, and that is then reflected in the TV deal. Sadly, but ultimately correctly, there is simply not enough money to sustain a full time second division in England. Maybe the Prem could expand to 14 or at a big outside chance 16 but certainly not 20-24 which is what you will need for two viable leagues

I would love to see what the figures were, and understand the numbers. For example, Ealing gave season ticket holders a code to stream the games. Did that detract from the streaming numbers? Also, even if the actuals were lower than the estimates, did it make any money? I know the first round was stated to have made money on every game.

I do agree though - given that we were in lockdown, and there was nothing else to do, I am saddened and amazed that more people didn't watch. Every game in my house was streamed and had at least three sets of eyes on it.
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 13:46
I must confess to hosting a couple of ‘watch parties’ although the attendees were also season ticket holders who could have streamed for free anyway. As a result no revenue was lost but viewing figures would have been distorted downwards. However, I did pay to stream several additional matches as a ‘neutral’ viewer to fill the odd afternoon/evening during lockdown.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Jerorky View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerorky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 14:45
I feel that the real fact is that most Rugby folks love the match day in total more than only the match: divert from mundane chores, meet friends and enjoy the camaraderie,- maybe even enjoy a social beer or two. Sitting at home watching is simply not as appealing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic