National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Olympic Rugby Sevens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olympic Rugby Sevens
    Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 13:56
Great Britain's men's sevens team play Fiji while women face New Zealand

Teams have been divided into three pools of four, with the top eight from the group stage advancing to the quarter-finals.

Men's Pools

Pool A
New Zealand
Australia
Argentina
South Korea

Pool B
Fiji
Great Britain
Canada
Japan

Pool C
South Africa
United States
Kenya
Ireland

Women's Pools

Pool A
New Zealand
Russian Olympic Committee
Great Britain
Kenya

Pool B
Canada
France
Fiji
Brazil

Pool C
Australia
United States
China
Japan

According to the current schedule matches will be played from 1:00am BST with the respective medal matches being played between 8:30am BST and 11:00am BST on Wednesday 28 July and Saturday 31 July respectively.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 14:33
I hate taking the best eight from three pools.
It can simply mean which two pools had the worst fourth team.

Most of the other team competitions are two pools of six - giving five games to each squad, with the top four in each pool going to quarter-finals. I am not sure why rugby does not use that format.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:47
Men's Rugby 7s Semi-finals - Wednesday 28 July @ 3:00am BST

New Zealand vs Great Britain
Argentina vs Fiji
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 13:22
Some great matches so far
Argentines terrific versus the Boks
What a comeback from the GB boys
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 17:24
It's either going to be a repeat of 2016 or we're getting a bronze depending on how GB's semi goes. The argies are going to be undercooked after that red card and injury to two of their main players.

Edited by Robb - 27 Jul 2021 at 17:25
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 18:12
Bronze at best, although the Argies look to be peaking.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 09:52
GB very poor in my opinion. Kept going into contact and losing possession as a result.  . Poor game management all round.

I also expected more informed commentary tbh.

Hopefully final will be better.

At least it was better than street skateboard !
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 09:57
......consolation in two Union Jack's featuring in the final.
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 10:25
Fair play to Fiji - bags of power on show but passing not of standard I was expecting. Were they both trying for too much distance especially when overlap on?

A sport missing the fans as well.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 18:10
So the England players effectively are redundant if I heard commentary correct?

So will they be looking for 15 a side teams when they return?
Looking forward to new beginnings.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 18:40
We'll have Dan Norton back, if he's interested.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Bigmal View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigmal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 19:46
8 contracts on offer by all accounts. Tbh its a game best watched live with teams playing a number of games .

From what i saw I'm not sure many from the squad would make it in the Prem but I stand to be corrected. 
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:00
Originally posted by Bigmal Bigmal wrote:

8 contracts on offer by all accounts. Tbh its a game best watched live with teams playing a number of games .

From what i saw I'm not sure many from the squad would make it in the Prem but I stand to be corrected. 
Many Prem & 15s players would be out on their feet within the first 7, speed is so different and so is skillset.

1/2 are going back to Top 14 deals and many were with Prem sides before.
The attiude of those in blazers and our NGB's is what has held the sport back constantly trying to keep it as a second string to XV's

The last 7s world cup generated £100m for the US economy, saw 100,000 fans attend and gained a viewership of 12m in the US alone. 

I can't see why we can't have either a 7s league (with prem clubs) or a  franchise 7s league in the UK or in Europe. 

I wonder whether long-term lottery funding is an idea, considering like so many other sports that are funded, 7s is an olympic sport.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 13:24
I seem to recall that one of the counties had a pretty good 7s competition with all the club teams playing in qualifiers and then a finals day - that occasionally featured guest teams.
What was it called?
Ah yes, The Middlesex sevens.

If you give it to the Premiership teams they will stuff it up. They tried it before and ruined what had been a great day out.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 14:38
We have a World 7s series
A European 7s (which has been hit by CoVid)

A franchise 7s?  
Should a franchise run Men and Womens teams?

Assuming we don’t just hand a dozen franchises to Premiership teams, what criteria would be required?

Sevens should be a fun, gateway to XVs (why Tens has never been promoted in that way).

Each franchise has 15 players?
When to play? As a running game, May/June
In effect you have one home competition, which is going to be a hard sell to investors. So most likely will have to be affiliated to a club. However if it’s a pathway to XVs would it be attractive to clubs/investors in community clubs?

Rucking Idiot View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rucking Idiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 09:20
The Middlesex Finals used to be a fantastic end of the season, most clubs in the Greater London area had some sort of bar in the East car-park. Can remember "borrowing" a station trolley from East Croydon as Shirley Wanderers bar & BBQ. The reason for it changing was little bar takings for the RFU. 
If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck it's just my rucking luck!
Stoatgobbler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoatgobbler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 14:48
Originally posted by Rucking Idiot Rucking Idiot wrote:

The Middlesex Finals used to be a fantastic end of the season, most clubs in the Greater London area had some sort of bar in the East car-park. Can remember "borrowing" a station trolley from East Croydon as Shirley Wanderers bar & BBQ. The reason for it changing was little bar takings for the RFU. 

It used to be a great day out.

I saw my club, London Welsh, there a few times. They had to qualify by winning a tournament the previous week.
Other teams like the Penguins, who looked suspiciously like Fiji under another name.
San Isidro (invited from Argentina), London Nigerians, Loughborough University and many others.

Then it went 'Premiership Only' and went downhill (in my view).
isleonian View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote isleonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 12:57
Clearly but sadly both GB men and women are not quite in the very top league

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 13:33
There are plenty of sevens festivals.

Could they be linked into a series with winning teams earning points over the summer and the sides with most points qualifying for a final at Twickenham in late August?

Perhaps using something like ELO rankings, so the points you win depend on the strength of the opponent, so the teams can pick and choose festivals.
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 20:18
Thomas Bach, IOC bigwig at Rugby 7s I think they said.

Think he is keen to get World Rugby in post CoVid world to get 7s up and going.

Meanwhile a short 2021 series.

Hopefully a bigger 2022.

Elsewhere Rugby Europe sevens saw
Spain come up top

And Czech Republic win Trophy event

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic