National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU "recovery" plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 17:28
Yes I am aware the RFL do a lot of tinkering but it's generally sorted out before the start of any new season. There IS an issue at the moment as to whether Leigh will be relegated. Due to Covid cancellations Leigh have played Wigan, StHelens, Warrington on multiple occasions (all top clubs) and have played far fewer against the lower ranked sides so it has been a skewed season that has worked against them, hence the discussion. 
Can you imagine the FA saying in August - "not sure how many Champions League spots there'll be, we might reduce/increase the number of clubs in the Prem, Championship and EFL 1 & 2 but we'll let you know in April" 
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 18:11
Knowing the RFU Muppets I am surprised they haven’t written to RFL Championship clubs telling them the plans for 2022/23 season.

Edited by kempstonblue - 10 Sep 2021 at 18:12
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 19:08
You mean they've actually got "plans" - please share. It's a nonsense to let the 2nd tier go ahead with only 11 clubs meaning loss of both action and revenue. 12 or 14 just do it without having to check what the cleaner and bar staff have to say in every corner of the universe
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 19:35
TB not sure the RFU had any choice but to let the season happen with 11 given Nat 1 did not play last season. I hope over the next 1-3 years they increase the Championship to 14. 26 meaningful league matches far better for players/spectators than meaningless cup competition. The teams who come up into the league will be part time as are the majority of the league currently and I am sure they will be competitive.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 01:36
Dont blame the RFU, it’s as much I decision among the Championship Clubs. Steve Lloyd doesn’t seem to have the control that Geoff Irvine did. Why does the RFU have to form a working group! Because the Clubs can’t sort it out themselves.
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 04:19
As I recall the Championship is an RFU competition (isn’t it referred to as RFU Championship). Which was sold to clubs at the time as a new, professional restart to the league.

Even if the clubs wanted to exercise full control, would the powers in charge cut them off from the league? 

Looking forward to new beginnings.
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 09:06
Originally posted by Thatbloke Thatbloke wrote:

Yes I am aware the RFL do a lot of tinkering but it's generally sorted out before the start of any new season. There IS an issue at the moment as to whether Leigh will be relegated. Due to Covid cancellations Leigh have played Wigan, StHelens, Warrington on multiple occasions (all top clubs) and have played far fewer against the lower ranked sides so it has been a skewed season that has worked against them, hence the discussion. 
Can you imagine the FA saying in August - "not sure how many Champions League spots there'll be, we might reduce/increase the number of clubs in the Prem, Championship and EFL 1 & 2 but we'll let you know in April" 

I'm sorry but that is total garbage.

Leigh have played 20 games,with the others playing between 18 and 23. So Leigh have played an average number of games and won just one,giving them 5%. They dont play extra games against better teams!

Leigh will be relegated and replaced by the winners of the playoff,which is likely to be Toulouse or possibly Featherstone.

Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 09:45
Fly half check your facts! 
When there is a Covid cancellation random games are arranged hastily to keep income streams going against any other team that is Covid free, its not a case of everyone plays everybody else twice. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Leigh shouldn't be relegated just that it is a skewed season
In a y case my initial post was in criticism of RFU dithering rather than any argument about RL

Edited by Thatbloke - 11 Sep 2021 at 09:48
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:34
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

As I recall the Championship is an RFU competition (isn’t it referred to as RFU Championship). Which was sold to clubs at the time as a new, professional restart to the league.

Even if the clubs wanted to exercise full control, would the powers in charge cut them off from the league? 

Quite. The constant harping about Champ clubs failing to 'take control' is beyond belief.
The RFU as a ruling body (which is what it is) is completely unfit for purpose and is desperately overdue a root and branch restructuring.
Our City,
Our Club
Fly Half View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fly Half Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:35
Hi TB,no problem but I do knowwhat I'm talking about.

If Leigh have a game against Huddersfield cancelled, the RFL dont require them to play say Wigan or Saints in an additional game to 'make up' the fixtures. If a previous,arranged fixture v Wigan had previously been cancelled and Wigan had a free weekend,then yes,Leigh may play Wigan but not as an additional fixture. i.e. it's not a case of Leigh having to play Wigan six times,whilst say Huddersfield play Cas six times.

Thanks but I do know my facts.
p.s. dont worry,we can all criticise the RFL,RFU etc. You should see the   totalrl site !

workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 10:50
The RFU have already started their recovery programme by taking payment up front for international tickets from clubs even if they have not sold them , making it the responsibility of clubs to send them back and claim refunds. Liability for selling becomes the responsibility of the clubs, In the meantime their cash flow takes a hit not the RFU.
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2021 at 15:16
I thought us clubs have always had to stump up for tickets before they've been sold to club members
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 12:39
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Dont blame the RFU, it’s as much I decision among the Championship Clubs. Steve Lloyd doesn’t seem to have the control that Geoff Irvine did. Why does the RFU have to form a working group! Because the Clubs can’t sort it out themselves.

That doesn't explain why the RFU are letting this season start with some teams having no idea what they are playing for. Sorry but they are a shambles.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 14:13
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

That doesn't explain why the RFU are letting this season start with some teams having no idea what they are playing for. Sorry but they are a shambles.
Don't apologise.
Our City,
Our Club
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 18:11

So you'd rather wait until January before playing? If the Championship Clubs had made some effort among themselves during the pandemic and last season's matches to agree a structure then we'd all be much better off. It's the fault of the Clubs that they can't agree among themselves as to what they want to do, the RFU held back letting the kids sort their own mess but as they haven't they have had to step in and sort it out for them.

The blame lies firmly with the Clubs!
Greg View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 18:32
[QUOTE=kempstonblue]As I recall the Championship is an RFU competition (isn’t it referred to as RFU Championship). Which was sold to clubs at the time as a new, professional restart to the league.

Taken directly off the Championship Rugby website (https://www.championshiprugby.co.uk/about).......

The RFU Championship was restructured in 2009, when it took the name ‘Championship’, after previously being called ‘National Division One’, and reduced the number of teams in the competition from 16 to 12.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 16:11

So you'd rather wait until January before playing? If the Championship Clubs had made some effort among themselves during the pandemic and last season's matches to agree a structure then we'd all be much better off. It's the fault of the Clubs that they can't agree among themselves as to what they want to do, the RFU held back letting the kids sort their own mess but as they haven't they have had to step in and sort it out for them.

Can you seriously not see the alternative to starting the season in January is to postpone the restructure by a season to make it fair to the clubs?

The Championship clubs might well be at fault but why should the RFU use this as an excuse to make the seasons of all clubs below this league a farce?

Edited by WEvans - 16 Sep 2021 at 16:12
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 19:46

Can you seriously not see the alternative to starting the season in January is to postpone the restructure by a season to make it fair to the clubs?

The Championship clubs might well be at fault but why should the RFU use this as an excuse to make the seasons of all clubs below this league a farce?

As the championship clubs cannot agree, they should be told that the bottom club will be relegated and replaced by the champions of N1 - leaving them with 11 clubs until they can make a decision - then the reshuffle will be made at the END OF THE FOLLOWING SEASON.

If they don't like it - Tough!
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 00:04

I can see very clearly the logic of delaying the restructure. I don't think the seasons are a farce. At Level 4 we know there is no relegation this season, we just aren't sure whether 2, 3, or 4 sides will be promoted. National League Rugby got itself largely sorted, the problem lies with the Championship who seem blind to the others below them. The RFU just wants it all sorted!
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2021 at 07:53
No reason to delay the restructure. The Championship clubs will never agree due to different agendas so the RFU has to lead and tell them what will happen. Besides Ealing no one in the Championship can even think of affording to play in the Premiership-and they will be there at the end of this season. That leaves 10 clubs in the Championship. All the Championship clubs agree the Cup competition is a waste of time and effort. There is no relegation from the Championship this season so bring 2 clubs up from National One to make next season a 22 match league competition-no cup competition. Do the same the following season, no relegation and bring another two clubs up from Nat One to make a 14 team, 26 match league season. RFU then simply has to find the money for the 4 new clubs, but with the amount given to each club cut from £560k to £150k and with international matches back and no doubt a ticket price hike this should be very doable. After that, the top team of Nat One get promoted, bottom team of Championship has play off against second placed team in Nat One. Premiership clubs then have 14 options in Championship to place their academy players instead of 10 as it is now. If a club at top of Championship some time in the future (cannot see it happening) ticks all the boxes for entry into Premiership they have a 2 match play off against the bottom Prem team that season. Sorted 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic