National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

RFU "recovery" plan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunc999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RFU "recovery" plan
    Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 11:23
AKA Hanging the Championship out to dry

I guess the clubs new this was coming hence Ealing's recruitment drive to secure the last place in the promised land.

I just really hope someone can step up to the plate to mount a realistic challenge to them next season, Pirates maybe, but I can't really see it.
stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:13
Pirates will not have new Stadium in Truro built in time to meet criteria. Another lost opportunity missed by Cornwall.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:14
Nice - I love how they call a ringfence a recovery plan. That is masterful. Also, they spin that the current funding levels being retained is a good thing. Beautiful. An excellent piece from the Ministry of Truth.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:27
The Championship will still be a pathway for players, coaches and match officials but club aspirations don’t have to be interlinked; players can progress to their potential without the specific need for their club to be promoted

So why then must the premiership clubs be protected at all costs? Also why are they blocking relegation from the championship and stifling the opportunity for teams in the National League. 

As someone that watches Level 7 rugby..it shouldn't really concern me...but when the RFU is more interested in the business concerns of a few 'elite' clubs over sporting integrity then they have truly lost their way 
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:50
A survey of 500 rugby fans?  I am sure it was very scientific.  A report of total contrived BS.  As Gerg intimates, worthy of George Orwell’s novels.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 12:50
Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

Also why are they blocking relegation from the championship and stifling the opportunity for teams in the National League. 

There is no "block", all that has now to be agreed is the size of the Championship from 22/23. Will it be 12 0r 14 teams? It does create uncertainty for National 1 Clubs but below that teams were looking to move up anyway with the expansion of National League Rugby from3 x 16 to 4 x 14.

The RFU sate: "As the Premiership expands in size, this is likely to result in a greater number of National One clubs being promoted at the end of season 21/22, which will also lessen the impact of relegation as a result of the introduction of the Future Competitions Structure." 

stadium View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stadium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 14:18
Will Ealing be a action replay of the London Welsh saga? If you remember they had a Welsh owner who invested millions of pounds in the club and then decided enough was enough. We all know what happened when he called it a day.
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 15:39
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

Originally posted by Count Ford Count Ford wrote:

Also why are they blocking relegation from the championship and stifling the opportunity for teams in the National League. 

There is no "block", all that has now to be agreed is the size of the Championship from 22/23. Will it be 12 0r 14 teams? It does create uncertainty for National 1 Clubs but below that teams were looking to move up anyway with the expansion of National League Rugby from3 x 16 to 4 x 14.

The RFU sate: "As the Premiership expands in size, this is likely to result in a greater number of National One clubs being promoted at the end of season 21/22, which will also lessen the impact of relegation as a result of the introduction of the Future Competitions Structure." 

Aah. Poor comprehension on my part. 
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 15:47
If Level 1 and Level 2 go to 14 teams, as already confirmed at Levels 3 and 4 there will be 6 Leagues of 14 teams, making 84, as compared to currently 2 of 12 and 3 of 16, making 72. So 12 teams (3 per Division) will be stepping up from the Regional Premiership Leagues at Level 5.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 16:33
Which makes more of a mockery of the aim to reduce travel.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 18:19
Where do you get the 6 teams at level 3 & 4
So many Christians not enough Lions
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 18:51
I hope 14 teams in the Championship signals the end to the pointless cup. 

Ideally as it’s French equivalent it would be 16. Although I recognise the trade off.

22 games a season becomes 30. Whilst the Cup gave clubs 22+6 year. Often the 6 would see fringe players get a chance. Would a 30 campaign require an increase in budgets exceeding receipts benefits of four more home league matches. (Hope this makes sense).

I liked the idea that was proposed geographically split the 16, giving 14 ‘local’ matches and 8 against the other conference. Still 22 matches, then a cup competition (with pools?) involving a 16 team National One (which has now reduced).
Looking forward to new beginnings.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2021 at 20:02
A 16 team league leaves no room for a cup, and the Nat 1 DoRs have endorsed reducing to 14 to reduce the load on the players  - so while the Nat 1 teams were involved in a knockout cup last time the league was set at 14, I do not believe they would want to do so now. 

While it would make naive sense for the Championship to be the same size as other leagues, There are arguments that it has more full time players, so could use a longer season. 

Whatever size the Championship ends up at, we really need to know before the start of the season - it is unfair not to know how any promotion spots there will be. 
Sweeney Delenda Est
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 05:53
Where does the 'Championship moves to 14 clubs' line come from - is it anything the RFU have said, or a line above from Halliford in his most recent post (that he prefaced with the word 'if')? My understanding is that 2 teams would come up from Nat 1 in a year's time while no club is relegated from the Champ, leaving the Champ back to 12 teams for the 22/23 season. Beyond that, the situation looks less clear/certain. I agree that it needs to be clarified, at least for the coming season and would hope that clarification comes before September...
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 07:12
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Where do you get the 6 teams at level 3 & 4

I had to re-read that post a few times.

If Level 1 and Level 2 go to 14 teams - as already confirmed at Levels 3 and 4 - there will be 6 Leagues of 14 teams (including the addition of a third regional league at level 4).
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 07:35
Thanks Mark WJ got it now, was late when I read it 😀
So many Christians not enough Lions
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 09:23
What I have not seen is a proper structure for levels seven and below - especially n areas where there are separate second team pyramids that might need to be incorporated into the main pyramid. I other counties they are already playing in the main pyramid.

We have seen some proposals from the Northern Division - and they are obviously in negotiation with the Lancashire leagues to see if those sides could be tempted back.

At the end of the day, it is these local decisions that are going to be difficult, and I suspect that once concrete proposals are on the table, there will be more losers than there are winners. Or at least the losers will be actively unhappy and the winners will say nothing.

Sweeney Delenda Est
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 11:13
cq, I've been told that not one person from anything to do with the RFU have approached the Lancashire Leagues since the new structure was announced. Furthermore there's isn't a "implementation Group" dealing with it at the moment so all these plans and proposed structures aren't even off the drawing board!

If you're wondering what's the big deal. The 21/22 starts in 8 weeks. Clubs still in the RFU structure currently have no clue as to where they will be in the 22/23 structure, do they need to finish in the top five to get promoted? Do they need to avoid finishing 5th so not to get moved to a different geographical based league, how many Lower XVs will make it up the numbers and at what level...... in the North West 2nd XVs could come in at Level 7. Seems nobody wants the "challenge" at the moment.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 13:02
The reason, Piffpaff, is in the RFU press release. The make-up of the Championship from 22/23 won't be decided until January 2022 so what happens below will depend on whether the Championship has 12, 14 or 16 teams in it! It would be easy to blame the RFU but really it's down to the Professional Game Board and the Championship Clubs who don't seem to be aware of the impact their vacillation is having - at least in Lancashire!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 14:18
But the impact of even six teams joining the Championship is going to make very little difference to the structures at level 7 in Lancashire.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic