National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2021-22 Championship Teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2021-22 Championship Teams
    Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:07
Am I missing something here? With Saracens promoted, and presumably Scottish returning, we have 11 team. Is that it for the new season? No club promoted to join us? One less home game each? Another financial nail in the wall?
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:36
It will be 11 teams for the coming season, that's right...
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:38
Yes.
Eleven teams this season - with 13 in the Premiership.
One more team promoted this season, to make 14 in the Premiership.

The championship needs to decide how many national one teams to promote next season. ideally before the start of this season.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Woody View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:56
So will there be relegation from the Championship this coming season or not? Assume not.
Forever Green.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 10:58
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Yes.
Eleven teams this season - with 13 in the Premiership.
One more team promoted this season, to make 14 in the Premiership.

The championship needs to decide how many national one teams to promote next season. ideally before the start of this season.

Definitely, as the restructuring below will be dependent on how many teams move up into the championship from N1 - I'm guessing it will be 2 or 4.
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:09
The restructuring of levels four, five and six is unfortunately going to happen anyway - as is the reduction of league sizes at levels three and four.

What will not happen is the restructuring at levels 7 and below - as that would probably mean ripping up the current CBs and replacing them.
Similarly, they will leave the current four division in place - while three might make more sense.
They will therefore need a new body to run level 5 - as those leagues will not fit with the divisions.

But aside from that, it is a wonderful idea.

Deckchairs anyone.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:25
Rugby Paper reported there will be no relegation from the champ this year. Hoping they come to their senses are promote 4 to give us 14 team league

Edited by Bluesman11 - 05 Jul 2021 at 15:53
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 12:46
B11 I also understand there will be no relegation from Championship this coming season but with one team going up and none coming down that will leave only 10 teams in the Championship. I think they are more likely to bring 2 up at end of the coming season and then 2 more the following season. I agree a 14 team league would be good for the Championship. 26 meaningful league matches and no waste of time Championship cup matches.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 13:24
Given the major reorg  happening this season, I suspect they will do it in one. So four up this season.

It will probably be no relegation, with only one up from each National 2 league. Though, you could argue for two down, 2+2 up - but again that is not what was done in the past.

For every other level, it is at least three up.

Sweeney Delenda Est
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 13:33
1 team promoted no relegation 4 up from Nat 1 No Relegation from Nat 1 . 1 up from both Nat2N and N2S is the logical option but logic does not count with the RFU. The only negative is how to cut the cake from the RFU contribution 14 teams will make the slices smaller. However as the RFU are determined to reduce it even further, gate, bar and hospitality may cover some with 2 extra home games.
MCNRY View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCNRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 13:49
Players from 6 different Nat 1 clubs have been reliably informed already there are to be 4 teams promoted from National 1 this coming season (21/22) should criteria be met other than finishing 1st-4th.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 14:14
As I understand it marigold they would have to promote FOUR Nat 1 Clubs at the end of next season as the new League structures agreed for 22/23 season cannot be amended until 25/26 at the behest of RFU Competitions. Whilst I'm sure the top 4 Clubs in Nat One would love to be promoted to the Championship I would guess the 4th or 3rd place Clubs would be somewhat lacking in manpower and crucially finances to make a go of it.

Edited by PiffPaff - 05 Jul 2021 at 14:14
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
workerbee View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workerbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 14:15
where is the criteria for Championship? How is it going to me managed, Who will visit clubs to decide they meet the criteria? John Inverdale has already indicated that he would like to see clubs at level 3 and 4 having ensuring that they meet the criteria for their league , not sure how you gauge criteria for clubs who get crowds of less than 300 and in some cases less than 100.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 14:19
it ought to be a full sized pitch and a decent changing room - everything else is fluff.

Let's face, much as I love Ampthill's fairy ring - it is hardly the most luxurious place to watch. Especially in the teeth of a named storm. However, we won and that is all that matters.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 14:31
I have posted this before there was a minimum standard for Nat 1 and each club was inspected annually but this hasn’t happened in years as a few clubs would have failed. I remember seeing a document for the championship quite a while ago but it’s main thing was about medical standards and very little else and unless things have changed many clubs in Nat 1 have better facilities than some championship grounds
So many Christians not enough Lions
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 16:51
Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

I have posted this before there was a minimum standard for Nat 1 and each club was inspected annually but this hasn’t happened in years as a few clubs would have failed. I remember seeing a document for the championship quite a while ago but it’s main thing was about medical standards and very little else and unless things have changed many clubs in Nat 1 have better facilities than some championship grounds

Quite agree, championship clubs don't all qualify on the facilities front - so it would be shameful to deny promotion to any N1 side on that basis.

Personally, I would say there is no reason to jettison relegation from N1 - if for instance, Leeds have another shocker and finish bottom they should be relegated (again).
RAID ON
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 17:08
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by Rabbie Burns Rabbie Burns wrote:

Quite agree, championship clubs don't all qualify on the facilities front - so it would be shameful to deny promotion to any N1 side on that basis.

Personally, I would say there is no reason to jettison relegation from N1 - if for instance, Leeds have another shocker and finish bottom they should be relegated (again).

Bit like the Prem standards that.  Some teams didn't meet there's who were already in
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 17:24
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

it ought to be a full sized pitch and a decent changing room - everything else is fluff.

Let's face, much as I love Ampthill's fairy ring - it is hardly the most luxurious place to watch. Especially in the teeth of a named storm. However, we won and that is all that matters.

Ampthill have a full sized pitch a a decent changing room. They even throw in a stimulating walk through the woods and commando style pitch side latrines. Methinks you rugby fans from just across the border in Cambridge are getting a tad soft………
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 18:57
Get six up, if the relevant NL1 clubs want it.
The criteria thing is basically irrelevant, as long as access, medical and a few other neither here nor there items are complied with (like a fenced pitch) it's all pretty easy.
Let's make a proper league of it. To my mind Mose, RP, DMP, Roth, Blackheath and Plymouth would be good to bring up - even if not currently in a position to, league-wise ;)
I can dream.
Our City,
Our Club
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 19:28
I could go with those options Kimbo 
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic