National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2021-22 Championship Teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 21:16
Rotherham might be a stretch, as they are in National 2.
There is a possibility of Sale FC however.
But it all depends on how clubs have coped with the year off and how they do next year.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 21:17
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Get six up, if the relevant NL1 clubs want it.
The criteria thing is basically irrelevant, as long as access, medical and a few other neither here nor there items are complied with (like a fenced pitch) it's all pretty easy.
Let's make a proper league of it. To my mind Mose, RP, DMP, Roth, Blackheath and Plymouth would be good to bring up - even if not currently in a position to, league-wise ;)
I can dream.
We at Pirates would love to have Plymouth back in The Championship - a mere 80 miles away, as local as it gets for us!

Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 23:17
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

Rotherham might be a stretch, as they are in National 2.
There is a possibility of Sale FC however.
But it all depends on how clubs have coped with the year off and how they do next year.
I refuse to accept that Roth have fallen that far.
Nope.
Our City,
Our Club
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:36
It happens. On the other hand, other clubs get promoted. It is the great benefit of the system, it lets the leagues renew. As opposed to closed shops and ring fences, which lead to stagnation.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:39
Bring back Wharfedale! 
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:47
Given that the Premiership is aiming to expand to 14 teams, and I believe levels 3-6 will also be set at 14 teams from 2022, it makes sense for the Championship to do the same.  But, just to throw another variable into the mix - promotion to the Premiership at the end of next season is dependent upon the club that finishes top of the Championship fulfilling the necessary criteria to allow them to take their place at the top table.  So there is still a risk that the 2022-23 season would see a 13 team Premiership and a 15 (or 13, or 17 - depending on the final decision on numbers) team Championship.
PiffPaff View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiffPaff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 11:30
MWJ, haven't you heard? The plan is to allow Ealing to finish top then refuse them entry on some technicality and then offer Donny the 14th spot and thus complete the geographic spread the Prem want. You can't have another South East based club its a saturated market, meanwhile the country's biggest playing county needs to have a Premiership club. Simple economics, rugby is secondary.
Crouch, Bind, Tweet!
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:52
That tongue in the cheek again PP Ermm
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:54
Thing is, Donny is going to win the league outright, and take the promotion the honorable way (by right).

It might happen folks Smile
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:56
If we had players on central contracts, proper cost control and the clubs at least partially owned by the RFU - then I would certainly want a franchise in Yorkshire.

But as we have to have promotion and relegation, we have to take the most successful clubs.
You would hope that if too many are based in one region, they would not be able to attract enough spectators to survive.

However, we know it is sponsors and sugar daddies that really matter.
Sweeney Delenda Est
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 13:22
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

If we had players on central contracts, proper cost control and the clubs at least partially owned by the RFU - then I would certainly want a franchise in Yorkshire.

But as we have to have promotion and relegation, we have to take the most successful clubs.
You would hope that if too many are based in one region, they would not be able to attract enough spectators to survive.

However, we know it is sponsors and sugar daddies that really matter.

I suspect that it is no coincidence that about a dozen Trailfinders commercials ran during the latest Engalnd vs. USA international match. Buttering up the RFU...
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 15:02
gerg what you have to hope for is that there isn't a last minute stitch up that states any team not fielding 85% EQP players each game cannot be promoted or some such twaddle. 

You guys have recruited quite strongly to an already strong squad - when our announcements start to follow (which we have been promised will follow shortly) that we have signed a dream team, to contest against you, and make it a last match of the season do or die scenario.....wouldn't that be fun? 
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 17:20

The criteria thing is basically irrelevant, as long as access, medical and a few other neither here nor there items are complied with (like a fenced pitch) it's all pretty easy.
Let's make a proper league of it. To my mind Mose, RP, DMP, Roth, Blackheath and Plymouth would be good to bring up - even if not currently in a position to, league-wise ;)
I can dream.

Smacks a bit of get the 'old boys network' promoted, irrespective of their current playing strength.

My suggestion is top 4 up at end of 21-22 season then 2 up 2 down after that.

As for facilities, let teams be promoted on proviso they can improve facilities within a set period of time (presumably as happened with Ampthill?)
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 17:23
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

gerg what you have to hope for is that there isn't a last minute stitch up that states any team not fielding 85% EQP players each game cannot be promoted or some such twaddle. 

You guys have recruited quite strongly to an already strong squad - when our announcements start to follow (which we have been promised will follow shortly) that we have signed a dream team, to contest against you, and make it a last match of the season do or die scenario.....wouldn't that be fun? 

That could hardly happen without relegating Sale Sharks.
RAID ON
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 17:36
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

That could hardly happen without relegating Sale Sharks.

And the problem with that is?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 18:32
You forget, the promised land do not have to adhere to these rules- they are a law unto themselves 
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 18:43

I can dream.

Smacks a bit of get the 'old boys network' promoted, irrespective of their current playing strength.
Yep.
I'm trying to spot something wrong with that.
Nope. Perfect in my view.
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 20:19

I can dream.

Yep.
I'm trying to spot something wrong with that.
Nope. Perfect in my view.

Sounds like your 'view' is a championship which is ring-fenced with clubs you know - a lot wrong in my opinion!
RAID ON
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 22:27
So point to the bit where I advocate ringfencing.
Our City,
Our Club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:34

So point to the bit where I advocate ringfencing.

Your whole previous statement was either provocative or was indicative of your views which amount to ring-fencing. I.e keeping new teams out of the championship.

I never said you stated you were in favour of ring-fencing, just it sounded like it.
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic