National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

New law trials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New law trials
    Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 08:32
So looks like there are some new laws we have to contend with: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials

I think that 50:22  is good to reward good kicking but I don't like that goal-line drop-out for held ups, its too much like the rebel code for my liking
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 12:04
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

So looks like there are some new laws we have to contend with: https://www.world.rugby/the-game/laws/global-law-trials

I think that 50:22  is good to reward good kicking but I don't like that goal-line drop-out for held ups, its too much like the rebel code for my liking

50:22 is only an adaptation of the RL 40:20 - although at first sight it would appear a lot easier to achieve ( lesser distance to kick it)
RAID ON
Thames Estuary Man View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thames Estuary Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 16:37
Will the 50-22 law just lead to a game of kick  - lineout - driving maul ? 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 16:59
As far as i am aware, it applies to kick-offs. So kick-off aiming to bounce, and then go out in the 22.
Take the line out and drive.

Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 17:07
CQ - below is from World Rugby

If the team in possession kicks the ball from inside their own half indirectly into touch inside their opponents’ 22, they will throw into the resultant lineout. The ball cannot be passed or carried back into the defensive half for the 50:22 to be played. The phase must originate inside the defensive half.

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 17:22
And what in that wording excludes a kick-off or restart?
Which have to take place in the kicking team's half.

It needed a first clause: "Except from a kick-off or restart, if the team ... "

Sweeney Delenda Est
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 17:31
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

And what in that wording excludes a kick-off or restart?
Which have to take place in the kicking team's half.

It needed a first clause: "Except from a kick-off or restart, if the team ... "

Can't see anything excluding restarts or kick-offs - just your previous post tends to suggest only kick-offs and restarts.

From my reading it applies to any kick - as I previously said, seems a bit easy (especially in open play).

I also agree, it will inevitably end up in a maul which isn't what I pay to watch.
RAID ON
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 17:32
Originally posted by Thames Estuary Man Thames Estuary Man wrote:

Will the 50-22 law just lead to a game of kick  - lineout - driving maul ? 

Agreed - boring rugby.
RAID ON
semisonic View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semisonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 18:13
I believe the intent is that teams will drop their back three out of the defensive line to cover the possibility of a kick, thus freeing up attacking space when running with the ball. You still need to make the kick, with a bounce and it hasn't really happened much when trialled in Super Rugby Au, but is something else to think about, the same way kicking grubbers or running onto passes from deeper are tactics to slow defensive line speed.
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 21:20
All it really does is reward good kickers and those who know the new laws. I'm having second thoughts, I'm thinking its just going to overcomplicate things at community level and put more pressure on refs and touch judges.
KnightsBoy View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightsBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 21:30
Instead of messing around with new laws enforce the feed into the scrum, recent games I've seen the bloody ball is fed straight into the second row
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 21:56
It'll be interesting to see in action. Will it do as the law intends and force more players to defend deeper out of the line and create space or actually will it make teams less reluctant to bring a full back in to the line and more conservative in attack in order not to lose the ball in the opponents half and be caught without cover at the back.

I do like the idea of a drop out. It's more of a reward for the defence and might see teams think a bit more, rathher than just sending forward after forward shuffling at the line from two yards out. 

Granted if refs dealt with the sealing off properly a lot of that would already be stopped. 

Edited by Count Ford - 15 Jul 2021 at 22:00
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 09:36
Originally posted by KnightsBoy KnightsBoy wrote:

Instead of messing around with new laws enforce the feed into the scrum, recent games I've seen the bloody ball is fed straight into the second row

If the defending scrum didn't push, before the ball entered the channel, or the referees were more inclined to penalise the early shove more often, feeds would probably be straighter as the attacking scrum would have the time to hook properly etc. etc. But yes, in what you are saying feeds do seem to be looking a lot like the other code scrum I just think that this is a by product of the issue described first.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
backrowb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backrowb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 09:42
The tackle area is going to be a muddy nightmare, hugely in favour of the jackler. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 10:14
World Rugby have now amended the 50:22 law. It now does NOT apply to kick-offs and restarts.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 11:08
I haven't read the small print but I would say firstly that the 50/22 will make very little difference. Its around 10 years now that we have been referring to 'the back three' and they already operate as a unit back from the defensive line, largely to field kicks from clueless lottery hoof ball. The only difference I can see it making is that a 50/22 kick today would normally be allowed to run into touch so the defending team gets the throw in, whereas with the new laws they will try to prevent it going out of play and launch a counter attack or more likely revert to more hoof ball. I can't see there being more than 2 or 3 successful 50/22's per match but I could be wrong........ wouldn't be the first time!!
Secondly, I think the drop out restarts will make a bigger difference and reduce the number of scrums (which I think is the main aim here). This, in time will gradually change the make up of a pack of forwards and require different skills and physical attributes than we have now. You see this in RL with hooker, loose forwards very often interchangeable with the half backs. Just a question - does the restart kick have to go 10 metres or are you allowed to do a dribble drop kick where the "kicker" regathers the ball rather like we see on the odd 22 drop out especially if a side is chasing the game and needs to retain possession albeit in their own 22 or in the above case on their own try line
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 12:01
Sweeney Delenda Est
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 13:30
Thanks Camquin - so I guess this means thump it as far upfield as you can unless you're one score behind and it's the final play when you might risk a cheeky little drop out from which you might regain possession and go 95 metres to win the game - I'm sure that will happen somewhere at some point! 
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 10:27
Loads of pre-season friendlies being played at all levels over the next four weeks starting today. If my understanding is correct they should all be being played under the new law trials discussed on this thread. Only a suggestion but could anyone attending matches keep a count of 1) number of successful 50/22 kicks and 2) number of goal line drop outs following a held up and post on this thread.(accurate numbers please - not guesses) 
Might give us a rough idea of how much effect these changes are likely to have once the new season starts for real
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2021 at 16:54
Well that was a waste of time!!
Newport 45 Wilmslow 29
Succesful 50/22 kicks 1
Goal line drop outs Nil

Edited by Thatbloke - 07 Aug 2021 at 16:54
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic