National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

OEs withdraw from Nat1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thames Estuary Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEs withdraw from Nat1
    Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 23:35
It’s sad to hear that OEs have had to withdraw from Nat1 for this coming season. There is a statement on their website. 
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 06:17
Very sad, I think the key word is WITHDRAW, they have clearly made the call to hit the reset button and nobody else.

They might be the first but I'm pretty sure will not be the last.

You look at Leeds who cannot get a side out this week v Hull and are pretty open about it.
My friend told me that at a recent NCA meeting the Canterbury chairman said, if they cannot afford to travel, they will not and are happy give away the points and then you look at some of the debit clubs are carrying, Blackheath's last set of accounts show them close to £1/2 mil in the red, that cannot carry on year in year out.

As said they may be the first but I am pretty sure they will not be the last!

Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 07:09
Very sad news indeed.

Link to statement.

It is with great regret that Old Elthamians 1st XV has had to withdraw from National 1 rugby for the forthcoming 2021/22 campaign.

Having worked closely with the RFU Financial Viability Group during the last month, the decision was reached on Wednesday, 4th August to pull out of the 21/22 campaign. 

The club has worked tirelessly during the last 18 months to overcome the financial fallout resulting from the pandemic and the non-payment of sponsorship monies owed to the club.

Although this is a very sad day for OERFC, the decision will not affect any sides below the 1st XV and the junior section, which will continue to grow and flourish.

However, it was deemed necessary by both parties to take this decision now before the season was underway. 

Further announcements will be made in due course as the club continues to work with the RFU and Kent RFU.
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 07:49
Questions:

1) Will all scheduled matches against OE's now become byes, with it being rather late to replan the season?
2) Will they now be automatically relegated?

Though to be honest, they did seem not to be a sustainable operation once their benefactor had passed on 
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 08:26
Very worrying news, let’s hope they are not the first domino. We have had to deal with non-payment of sponsorship in the past and learned the importance of multiple sponsors rather than a single big sponsor. Building financial sustainability is a key exercise and the one I spend the most time worrying about!
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:19
We have passed all the deadlines for the leagues to be shuffled, so OEs matches become byes.
The club continues with its other sections.

I am not sure if they are withdrawing the Extra 1st XV from the Shield. Can someone confirm?

Sweeney Delenda Est
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:22
If things go as in the past OEs will have to go to the bottom and start again. Big blow to our budget as it has been our largest crowd for the last couple of years. 
It is hard for everyone at the moment as rent and services have to be paid and essential works need to continue if you consider fertiliser costs 30k per year so that’s 60k with no income it all adds up I’m sure we are under control at Blackheath
So many Christians not enough Lions
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:41
It's a strangely worded statement, implying that they're just taking a breather for the upcoming season.  But as Rabbie says, following the precedent they would have to drop out completely and start again in Kent 2 (Level 10).

Incidentally, I heard at our AGM last night that the RFU were due to confirm 'in the first week of August' the proposed number of promotion places from each league to reach the new structure for 2022-23 - although announcements like this (and like others, I fear there will be more to come) means that there are going to be plenty of variations come May.
Moseley Mauler View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moseley Mauler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:43
That is more income lost for the remaining clubs......
CJB1 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:56
Originally posted by Mark W-J Mark W-J wrote:

It's a strangely worded statement, implying that they're just taking a breather for the upcoming season.  But as Rabbie says, following the precedent they would have to drop out completely and start again in Kent 2 (Level 10).
Perhaps they are hoping to lean on the precedent of London Scottish sitting out the Championship last season?  But that was entirely different - all the teams were explicitly given the option to participate or not, and the league was in more of a holding pattern with no relegation as the lower leagues were not playing.  This season it's back to promotion and relegation as normal, or as near normal as it ever is.
"What I need is a strong drink and a peer group"
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:58
They have other teams, and I assume they will keep their places in the Kent structure - which may be being merged with the main pyramid next season in the coming shake-up.

As Moseley Mauler says, we will probably lose more from the loss of the home fixture that the cost of visiting OEs, and the fixed costs - like fertilizer - are not reduced by having fewer matches.
Sweeney Delenda Est
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 09:58
CQ not sure how it can put, or be allowed to put, a 2nd XV in the Shield if it cannot raise a 1st XV. If it can raise any team surely it would have to fulfil the RFU league fixtures ahead of any other competition. Sad as they were one of the stronger 2nd teams in the Shield.
GB13 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Moseley

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GB13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 10:50
Originally posted by marigold marigold wrote:

CQ not sure how it can put, or be allowed to put, a 2nd XV in the Shield if it cannot raise a 1st XV. If it can raise any team surely it would have to fulfil the RFU league fixtures ahead of any other competition. Sad as they were one of the stronger 2nd teams in the Shield.

Really good point. There is no rules that says you need to pay players in this league so shouldn't be able to opt out just because they don't feel they can recruit a competitive team (Leeds completed their fixtures in Championship through loan players from Uni etc) So must be not enough finances to support travel/operational costs, which probably is not such an issue in Shield games.

While I have sympathy for supporters or players of the club I think waiting until 4 weeks before the new season to do this smacks of disrespect by the management for other clubs who will now suffer losses themselves through losing a home fixture when they have established income & expenditure budgets (for Moseley this takes out our only fixture in December, a month that usually gives largest gates due to Christmas run up). Also had they been realistic back in June then quite probably Rotherham would not now be playing National 2 rugby.

Birmingham Moseley Rugby - the new name in Midlands Rugby

Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 11:53
Quite. If I were connected to the highest relegated side, I'd be mightily pee'd off.

Our City,
Our Club
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 12:25
Due to the nature of 21/22 season, i think we could well see them back at level 3 for 22/23.
Steve@Mose View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve@Mose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 12:38
As OE's state that they are working with the RFU and Kent RFU perhaps they are preparing for life in Kent 2.
Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 12:40
The other point to note on their statement is that they have been working with RFU finance. Which would imply they have rugby debts which must be paid before they recruit new players under financial contract. It is also possible that the first team were a different company to the rest of the club (like London Welsh) and therefore the junior part of the club could ask to enter a team in the merit tables or Kent leagues. Many questions but not mine to speculate
So many Christians not enough Lions
front5 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote front5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 19:19
Originally posted by dropout22 dropout22 wrote:

Due to the nature of 21/22 season, i think we could well see them back at level 3 for 22/23.

Surely that would make a mockery of the whole league structure? Leading the way for many more clubs to decide not to fulfil a season and just jump down a level? Massive legal issues I would suggest 
Grooveavenue View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grooveavenue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 19:41
Re O.E. withdrawal from Nat 1

As said O.E. were Birmingham Moseley's home fixture. Certainly probably the biggest income fixture - up to 250 Xmas dining for instance. Whats a double whammy for Mose is that the income from recent/upcoming sell out guest speaker nights profits are nulified in having to meet  overheads that are always in place match or no match. As usual BMRC will face the problem and overcome 

The People's Democratic Republic of Birmingham
Fiscalio View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiscalio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 19:42
OE's twitter account seems to no longer exist. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic