National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The next Exeter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 01:42
Only club I think in the Champ that has a remote chance of becoming a long term top flight club is Pirates. Ealing are likely to have a few years in the prem but they don’t have a sustainable long term business model. Mike Gooley won’t be around forever and the unlimited pool of money will eventually be gone. Not sure whether this will be in 5/10/15 years but Ealing will eventually mean revert to being a mid table championship or Nat 1 side.
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 07:24
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Only club I think in the Champ that has a remote chance of becoming a long term top flight club is Pirates. Ealing are likely to have a few years in the prem but they don’t have a sustainable long term business model. Mike Gooley won’t be around forever and the unlimited pool of money will eventually be gone. Not sure whether this will be in 5/10/15 years but Ealing will eventually mean revert to being a mid table championship or Nat 1 side.
The only real problem with this gloomy scenario is if the club go bust and collaterally damage others. If Ealing, Pirates, Cov or Donny buy their ticket to the prem and don't sustain it in the long term is it really a problem if they then slip down the pyramid provided they don't damage other clubs collaterally? It seems crazy to handicap clubs which gain promotion by making them build an unsuitable stadium at huge cost which they don't need and would only fill once in a blue moon. IMO if Pirates or indeed any other club win the Championship they deserve their chance to play in the prem even if it only lasts for a single season. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2021 at 09:43
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

The only real problem with this gloomy scenario is if the club go bust and collaterally damage others. If Ealing, Pirates, Cov or Donny buy their ticket to the prem and don't sustain it in the long term is it really a problem if they then slip down the pyramid provided they don't damage other clubs collaterally? It seems crazy to handicap clubs which gain promotion by making them build an unsuitable stadium at huge cost which they don't need and would only fill once in a blue moon. IMO if Pirates or indeed any other club win the Championship they deserve their chance to play in the prem even if it only lasts for a single season. 
This.
Our City,
Our Club
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 07:53

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 08:20

Sustainable long term business plan !.

Ealing football club ( RU ) 1871. Now in their 150th year are in the most sustainable phase of their existance . Our partnership with Trailfinders ( 22nd year ) grows stronger each year. Our amateur section has in excess of 750 members and is growing.

The relatively new  Rugby Union Academy in partnership with Brunel University is all part of Mike Gooley's long term legacy and will be long lasting way into the future.

The climb through the leagues has been gradual and carefully mastered by Mike Gooley and the team he has built and if Ealing Trailfinders do make it to the Premiership the exposure in the press and the TV will be be exceptional for Trailfinders Travel .

There is no others sports facility that I am aware of that is so well used day and night seven days a week. The diversity of sports is exceptional.

Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:05
The only possibility could be Cornish Pirates, judging from the hoards who followed them in the County Championship.

Don't confuse the Cornish Pirates professional team with the Cornwall national side, they are not the same thing.
The hoards that followed Cornwall in the 80/90's were for only a few games a season, at most, and it was as much a celebration of National Identity than pure love of rugby.
That said there would be decent support initially for the Pirates at premiership level (new Stadium still not certain) as it needs 14 million of taxpayers money) and it would be sustainable as long as Dickie Evans is putting in the money. 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:17
There's a lot of ambition in the National leagues at the moment, but at present it's not coming together, I'm sure the current gang in the Premiership will do all they can to maintain their "club". I would be very surprised if they don't ring fence the league to protect their money.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 11:28
Originally posted by Redted Redted wrote:

The only possibility could be Cornish Pirates, judging from the hoards who followed them in the County Championship.

Don't confuse the Cornish Pirates professional team with the Cornwall national side, they are not the same thing.
The hoards that followed Cornwall in the 80/90's were for only a few games a season, at most, and it was as much a celebration of National Identity than pure love of rugby.
That said there would be decent support initially for the Pirates at premiership level (new Stadium still not certain) as it needs 14 million of taxpayers money) and it would be sustainable as long as Dickie Evans is putting in the money. 

Fair point - Cornish Pirates is not the same thing as Cornwall County Championship team. Having said that, there is a great deal of potential support when the stadium is built. When we had one season in Truro, and the team were competing at the top of the Championship, the crowds were pretty big. The game against Harlequins was a sell-out several weeks before the game. If we could get into the Premiership (a big if, I admit) you could see games against Bris, Glos, Wuss, Exeter etc filling the stadium to its initial 6,000 capacity. A lot of opposition supporters would, no doubt, love a trip to beautiful Kernow! There is positive news about the stadium and the latest about the long awaited government (promised) contribution should be announced in November.

Edited by Stalwart - 17 Oct 2021 at 11:30
Taffy View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 14:15
Interesting piece here, all be it from earlier in the year
http://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-35m-price-tag-to-join-the-english-premiership/
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2021 at 17:30
Originally posted by Taffy Taffy wrote:

http://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-35m-price-tag-to-join-the-english-premiership/

AKA a franchise fee.

Another barrier the old boys club are putting in the way of any ambitious club
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 20:08
Originally posted by Taffy Taffy wrote:

Link doesn't work
RAID ON
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2021 at 22:01
Many rugby supporters have a main team to support, whatever the division they play in, but many are not prepared to travel to the away games. And as there is nothing to compete with watching a live game, they look around to see who is playing nearer to home. It is well known that I support Ampthill but I live near Ilkley on the West/North Yorkshire border. So I have adopted Wharfedale as my local team to watch. I was there on Saturday to witness a creditable draw with Hull Ionians. But when Wharfedale play away I have a choice of going to see Harrogate play, or Leeds Tykes now they are playing in Bramhope. I could even go to Otley or Ilkley.

London and Birmingham supporters will be the same. So, if Ealing go up to the Premiership, of course they will attract more support at first, but it will depend on their results there. If they lose their matches support will dwindle, and the attendances at away games like Sale, Newcastle, and even at the south west clubs won’t be great.

I cannot therefore see Ealing being the next Exeter. Cornish Pirates have a better chance.

I then look down the leagues to see if anyone is on the rise. Bourneville stood out. But then in the last few weeks Bourneville scored over 60 points at home to Wharfedale. Then Wharfedale beat Blaydon. And then Blaydon beat Bourneville at Bourneville last Saturday. Crazy. So I don’t think Bourneville will be the next Exeter either.

I think we are at least a decade away from another Exeter.

Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 12:18
I agree, there will not be another "Exeter" for a long time.  Before them and ever since, clubs have come into money in one form or another, London Welsh, Bedford, Rotherham to name a few.  They tried to buy their way into the big time.  Eventually a blip means they have to retreat, some lower down the leagues, some altogether.

Exeter had a long term plan, yes they have had cash, but they built organically and slowly with a team of local talent which stayed together and became good enough to stay in the Premiership until they were established and could buy extra talent.

If Ealing keep the money coming in (and using the facilities every day will not fund a premiership team) then they stand a chance, but sadly it will be very similar to the names above and if they cannot build alongside the money a sustainable model and it will fail.

Edited by Bedfordian - 20 Oct 2021 at 12:19
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 10:49
In many ways Ealing are already the next Exeter considering where they started from and what they have in place currently. My concern is that after winning the Championship-I do not think they lose another match- this season they will simply not be anywhere near competitive next season. Worcester are currently woeful and were the same last season yet have a stack of current and past international calibre players. Bath and L Irish have tremendous international calibre squads but are struggling for any wins. Where are Ealing going to get/afford players of that quality to even get close to one win. By the end of this season they will have achieved Mr Gooley's dream-I hope it does not turn into a nightmare
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2021 at 14:35
We're doomed.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 08:09
I was not fully aware of the Bedford Blues experience in the top flight and where the finance came from . I  read a few articles / reports that I found on the internet.

I now fully understand the bitterness/ warnings given towards others with similiar ambitions but there are major differences in circumstances.

The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 08:55
From what I can recall.

Frank Warren… until his assets were frozen at court due to a legal battle with Don King I believe.

We had a bit of a dream team with lots of up and coming stars but ended up having to borrow players from Worcester from the league below to fill in the gaps when players started to leave. There was pretty much a Blues player in every other Premiership club at the end.

We generated crowds of 5,500 + and this was late 90s

We then came down after 2 years to ND1 without any players or coaches and had to rebuild from scratch having raised hundreds of thousands of £‘s in a few days from Bedford people and other rugby fans to save the club.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 08:58
Missed out the bit about having 2 “interesting” owners in between for a very short amount of time!
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 10:22
[I was not fully aware of the Bedford Blues experience in the top flight and where the finance came from . I  read a few articles / reports that I found on the internet.  I now fully understand the bitterness / warnings given towards others with similar ambitions but there are major differences in circumstances]

Every team who comes into money thinks that their situation is fool proof! Good luck.

Bedford Bear View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedford Bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2021 at 16:00
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

From what I can recall.

Frank Warren… until his assets were frozen at court due to a legal battle with Don King I believe.

We had a bit of a dream team with lots of up and coming stars but ended up having to borrow players from Worcester from the league below to fill in the gaps when players started to leave. There was pretty much a Blues player in every other Premiership club at the end.

We generated crowds of 5,500 + and this was late 90s

We then came down after 2 years to ND1 without any players or coaches and had to rebuild from scratch having raised hundreds of thousands of £‘s in a few days from Bedford people and other rugby fans to save the club.

Don’t forget the infamous John Gurney of Luton Town who acquired Bedford Blues for £1 from boxing promoter Frank Warren in 1999 and promptly sacked head coach Rudolf Straeuli and cut salaries. He then attempted to merge Bedford with Coventry Rugby and rumours feared he would move it all to Ashford, Kent. Such was the feeling in the town a buy-out consortium representing supporters and businessmen presented its plans to the rugby authorities then put them to the supporters at a meeting at the Goldington Road ground on a very highly charged Thursday evening. Gurney finally agreed to sell the club back to local business people after the English Rugby Partnership blocked the move to Coventry's Coundon Road.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic