National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

The next Exeter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 09:49
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

[I was not fully aware of the Bedford Blues experience in the top flight and where the finance came from . I  read a few articles / reports that I found on the internet.  I now fully understand the bitterness / warnings given towards others with similar ambitions but there are major differences in circumstances]

Every team who comes into money thinks that their situation is fool proof! Good luck.

The key differnce in cirumstances is that Mike Gooley TRAILFINDERS  ( his company name is on the tin which I believe is unique )owns Trailfinders Sports Grounds unemcumbered. I previously mentioned the various revenues from a whole array of income generation to show that it is viable and sustainable. I also appreciate that alone would not sustain a Premiership team.

The other key difference is that Ealing Trailfinders have not "come into money " the partnership between Ealing and Trailfinders is over a 22 year peroid and  not a fly by night venture by dubious  ' businessmen   ' 

Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:30
It’s not that unique to be owned by another business. The following have had their sponsor name in the team name. Mike Gooley like everyone won’t be around forever and new owners may have different ideas and plans. To truly stay in existence the club needs to be self sufficient at their level with then any extra investment being the difference from lower/middle table to upper end.

Earth Titans - aka Rotherham Titans
Pertemps Bees - aka Birmingham Solihull
Orrell - effectively owned (via Dave Whealan) by JJB sports which also owned Wigan football club
Bristol Shoguns - Mitsubishi 
NEC Harlequins 

Should have added that SW Communications are/were (can’t remember if they still are) were the driving force behind Exeter along with a land sale to Tesco from which they have built a more sustainable rugby business.

Edited by The Blues - 23 Oct 2021 at 10:32
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2021 at 10:37
There's a big difference between those those examples - which are purely for sponsorship reasons - and Ealing, which is part of the Trailfinders stable.  Newbury weren't called Vodafone Newbury, but they were completely reliant upon the sponsorship money, and almost collapsed when they pulled out.
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 13:31
Really enjoyed the interview from Steve Hill of Richmond in the Rugby Paper today. He of course said that ambitious clubs should have a clear path to the Premiership, but I particularly like his quote about Ealing. "Ealing deserve their day in the sun, even if it is only a day." As a fervent Ealing supporter, I hope that they are able to get promoted and win a long term place, but at the very least I'd like to see them have a season or two in the Premiership - it's better to be a has-been than a never-was.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 14:13
Well said GergClap
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 15:50
That then makes us Blues the best supported has beens in British Rugby. 😇
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 17:37
The Soccer premiership is looking to ban related party sponsorship.
This is to ensure financial fair play - the risk being that the owner hides the fact they are financially supporting the team by disguising their payments as inflated sponsorship deals.

This is mainly to stop the Saudis supporting Newcastle, but would also affect Manchester City.
If it came into rugby, I think it would essentially prevent any owner from bringing another club up.

Both Worcester and Exeter have been adverts for their owners companies, Worcester heating and SW Comms. As are Ealing with Trailfinders.

Further down the pyramid, Old Elthamians and Secure Trading are in the same pattern, though their sponsor did not own the club. However, it seems clear that he was paying more than the market value.

Sweeney Delenda Est
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 13:04
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

It’s not that unique to be owned by another business. The following have had their sponsor name in the team name. Mike Gooley like everyone won’t be around forever and new owners may have different ideas and plans. To truly stay in existence the club needs to be self sufficient at their level with then any extra investment being the difference from lower/middle table to upper end.

Orrell - effectively owned (via Dave Whealan) by JJB sports which also owned Wigan football club
NEC Harlequins 

Should have added that SW Communications are/were (can’t remember if they still are) were the driving force behind Exeter along with a land sale to Tesco from which they have built a more sustainable rugby business.

It is unique where I stated Mike Gooley not only owns the sports ground but also owns the company that have sponsored Ealing for 22 years.........that is unique and not comparable to any other club.

Edited by No 7 - 26 Oct 2021 at 13:05
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 14:23
Who actually owns Sixways or Sandy Park?
Tony Rowe's SW Comms seem to have sponsored Exeter forever, and Worcester's links with Cecil Duckworth's Worcester Bosch also lasted a very long time.
Sweeney Delenda Est
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 15:08
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

NEC Harlequins 

It is unique where I stated Mike Gooley not only owns the sports ground but also owns the company that have sponsored Ealing for 22 years.........that is unique and not comparable to any other club.
One question: What happens when Mr Gooley is no longer with us? I assume that there is some form of Trust established to continue his legacy, otherwise that land is on prime development territory and would sell for an astronomical sum, one would guess, would they Ealing Rugby Club be able to relocate somewhere nearby if this were to happen?

In my opinion Ealing are very lucky to have Mr Gooley, and I suspect that there would be many a club that would be very happy to be in a similar position. As for us, Doncaster Knights, our home Castle Park is facilitated by a limited company Castle Park Ltd who administer all of the facilities including conferencing, weddings, parties, sporting events etc. something that I am very proud of and encourage local folk to look to utilise when planning events. One day, if the rugby gods are smiling, perhaps we shall be in a position to play in the Premiership and then we will still be able to have one of the best grounds in the league but at present we shall remain content in the knowledge that we have one of, if not the best, grounds in the Championship.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
dropout22 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 22:16
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

NEC Harlequins 

One question: What happens when Mr Gooley is no longer with us? I assume that there is some form of Trust established to continue his legacy, otherwise that land is on prime development territory and would sell for an astronomical sum, one would guess, would they Ealing Rugby Club be able to relocate somewhere nearby if this were to happen?

In my opinion Ealing are very lucky to have Mr Gooley, and I suspect that there would be many a club that would be very happy to be in a similar position. As for us, Doncaster Knights, our home Castle Park is facilitated by a limited company Castle Park Ltd who administer all of the facilities including conferencing, weddings, parties, sporting events etc. something that I am very proud of and encourage local folk to look to utilise when planning events. One day, if the rugby gods are smiling, perhaps we shall be in a position to play in the Premiership and then we will still be able to have one of the best grounds in the league but at present we shall remain content in the knowledge that we have one of, if not the best, grounds in the Championship.

I believe it's a guarentee of 5 years worth of money. 
The club will have substantial facilities to develop a core home grown squad with the facilities/programmes available to them now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic