National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rd 2 scores Sat Sept 25th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 09:55
Doesnt look like it does it, although to be fair no-one wants to spend their cash watching that, do they?  Can watch SA on the TV for less.

Edited by Bedfordian - 27 Sep 2021 at 09:57
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

Doesnt look like it does it, although to be fair no-one wants to spend their cash watching that, do they?  Can watch SA on the TV for less.

That’s a very selective view. What you mean is, Jersey was the only team to score from mauling. Bedford tried and failed every time.
Personally, I thought that the first 20 minutes was breathless. Very few stoppages, free flowing from both teams, but both defenses were very good. The Bedford scrum was excellent.
The difference between the 2 sides was that Jersey could defend the Mail but Bedford couldn’t!!
Tackle Low!!!!!
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 11:03
Nobody could possibly defend the Mail.
Our City,
Our Club
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:04
Saw a new way of defending against it on Saturday - well, new to me anyway.
Defending prop goes under attacking lock, and drives up until the lock is lifted against the maul and toppled out. As he's lifted lock appeals to AR (facing wrong way for ref) that he is being lifted by the leg. AR shrugs and does nothing.
I have clear photos of the incident.

Edited by OldNick - 27 Sep 2021 at 12:05
Bluesman11 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluesman11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:21
Not engaging was popular for a while but haven’t seen it attempted in ages. Don’t understand why we don’t do that more; can’t remember anybody scoring on few times we did try it. Certainly got a better chance than trying to compete…

The other way to stop it is don’t give away needless penalties around the half way line. If I was a coach, I’d be furious at these types of penalties. I understand ones in the 22 where there is something to be gained, but I can never get my head round why players hold on or give away various other breakdown penalties in the middle of the field. There was no danger, and you’re now left defending a maul in your 22. Just let them have the ball/turnover if necessary. We at least have some control over that so I would focus on discipline around the half way line than maul defence.

Edited by Bluesman11 - 28 Sep 2021 at 11:34
Championship Prediction League Winner 11/12
Cricks at 2 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:46
Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Absolutely Kimbo, a despicable rag.  Anyway back to the maul; I watched the Jersey team warming up and they rehehazelnutd the maul and looked really good at it, as the match result proved. However it was not the deciding factor.

We normally have the ‘you score one then we will score two’ attitude, which gets us into trouble sometimes, but is a lot of fun.  However it cannot be done without possession.  The Blues line out was the direst I have seen for some time and losing six, seven, eight attacking opportunities starves an attacking team like ours to death.

Scrum looked good though, which is encouraging.  Expect a big crowd on Friday and the usual power play from Doncaster, so should be interesting.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:49
rehehazelnutd?? rehehazelnutd!
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cricks at 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:53
Is there a problem with predictive text here?  Try the word practise instead.
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:54
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

I have just read some of the comments posted on the Coventry supporters unofficial forum and was surprised by some of the disrespectful things said about Ampthill, such as being described as a “jumped up shower”, and criticising Paul Turner’s coaching abilities. In my opinion, Coventry are a solid Championship side. They have an excellent squad, good support, and I expect them to be near the top of the league come next spring. It’s just a shame that some of their supporters appear to be sore losers.

Compared to the mighty Cow, who were the Saracens of the 70s we, Ampthill, are a jumped up shower.Smile

But anyone who criticises Paul Turner's coaching abilities is a fool, he has been the best coach in every league Ampthill have come up through and is arguably still the best, his record speaks for itself.
Propping up the board
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

I have just read some of the comments posted on the Coventry supporters unofficial forum and was surprised by some of the disrespectful things said about Ampthill, such as being described as a “jumped up shower”, and criticising Paul Turner’s coaching abilities. In my opinion, Coventry are a solid Championship side. They have an excellent squad, good support, and I expect them to be near the top of the league come next spring. It’s just a shame that some of their supporters appear to be sore losers.

People of a certain age, or those who have a working knowledge of rugby history - I have a foot in both camps - will know that Cov used to be one of the top names in English rugby, with a high-calibre fixture list, several trophies & multiple England caps to show for it. Although it’s quite a while - 33 years I think - since they were in the top flight, I think it’s fair to say that some Cov supporters took a while to fully adjust to their ‘new’ status at level 2, then level 3, & now back to 2 again. That may explain why these supporters (who are almost certainly a minority) struggle with the whole ‘mutual respect’ rugby value when it comes to certain opposing clubs…

I can very much agree it is a minority at Cov - on one of my previous visits I have to say I and my fellow supporters were verbally abused by a disgruntled supporter in the stand. He did save this for the final whistle when he turned around from further down the stand questioned our parentage with a few choice F's and Jeffs and then scuttled away quickly before he could explain himself to my rather large travelling companion who wished to ask him his rationale for such behaviour - that and one other occasion where I witnessed a Cov supporter try and assault one of our supporters under the stand in the Bar (the other Cov supporters in the bar very quickly ejected this person and were very apologetic to my fellow supporter - they demonstrated the true behaviour of Coventry fans). I was at the Cov - Knights game two weekends back and witnessed no ill manner / behaviour from Cov supporters then which is the norm I would say.

The travelling fans at Ampthill were lovely from what I could see, there were loads of them, they were pretty vocal and took defeat in good part. But these will be the hard core of Covid fans and so probably big rugby fans in general.
Propping up the board
Old Blue View Drop Down
Mini and Juniors
Mini and Juniors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 13:26
As a Blues fan who seems to see his side regularly beaten by Ampthill I would say Paul Turner does a fantastic job with the players available to him.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 14:18
Originally posted by Cricks at 2 Cricks at 2 wrote:

Originally posted by Kimbo Kimbo wrote:

Absolutely Kimbo, a despicable rag.  Anyway back to the maul; I watched the Jersey team warming up and they rehehazelnutd the maul and looked really good at it, as the match result proved. However it was not the deciding factor.

We normally have the ‘you score one then we will score two’ attitude, which gets us into trouble sometimes, but is a lot of fun.  However it cannot be done without possession.  The Blues line out was the direst I have seen for some time and losing six, seven, eight attacking opportunities starves an attacking team like ours to death.

Scrum looked good though, which is encouraging.  Expect a big crowd on Friday and the usual power play from Doncaster, so should be interesting.
Good perceptive post mate - Blues weren't overpowered in the forwards and when they had eight forwards on the pitch at least matched a decent Jersey pack in the scrum. Its more difficult if you end up a man short however and the crazy lack of discipline in defending the maul could have lead to more yellow cards in the second half. There were two incidents in particular when the Jersey maul was going forward and a Blues forward charged in from the side to bring it down. The referee gave a penalty in each case and Jersey scored from a line out drive after the second one. Surely its better to put the work in during the week to work on legally stopping the drive. Donny will have reviewed the match video so I bet you can guess whats coming when you play them. 
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 17:31
Most rolling maul tries come from penalty kicks to the corner . Maybe Bedford should look to cut down their penalty count in their half.
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 18:22
I've now published the article referred to earlier, in case anyone's interested.
Our City,
Our Club
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 22:52
Don’t forget we have had a period of no forwards coach, which doesn’t help. Especially when you look at the pack - only 2 starters were there last year, a prop and flanker.

Onojaife is also important player for Blues stealing and disrupting lineouts off the opposition who was missing.
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 07:59
Attended the Amp v Cov match. Cracking game . Cov lineout and discipline in first half were really poor and punished by excellent Amp goalkicker. In second half Cov looked much better and dangerous, but the Ampthill work in defence was tremendous. Cov had 2 other clear chances to score tries that they messed up which would have been enough to win the match,but for the effort Ampthill showed they deserved their win. Found the club and ground very welcoming.
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:27
Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Jersey Reds opening try from Dan Barnes v Bedford Blues - YouTube

Is that the only non-rolling maul try you can find? Wink
The other Jersey tries (Maul & Open play):

Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 13:57

Indeed. There seem to be a number posters there regularly intent on portraying themselves in a very poor light. 
Rob C View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rob C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 15:41
Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

Indeed. There seem to be a number posters there regularly intent on portraying themselves in a very poor light. 

'Number' of posters - or just one or two who post regularly?

I think the overall viewpoint from Cov fans was that they were poor for much of the game against what was a limited but effective game plan from Ampthill.  More frustration at their own team than critical of Ampthill. 

Some people, though, should perhaps leave it a day or two before posting their reactions...
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 17:22
Originally posted by Rob C Rob C wrote:

Originally posted by WEvans WEvans wrote:

'Number' of posters - or just one or two who post regularly?

I think the overall viewpoint from Cov fans was that they were poor for much of the game against what was a limited but effective game plan from Ampthill.  More frustration at their own team than critical of Ampthill. 

Some people, though, should perhaps leave it a day or two before posting their reactions...

I think you have nailed it perfectly. Well done. And my opinion of the overwhelming Coventry fans is one of total respect. They support their club hard. And I wish Ampthill had as many supporters. One day perhaps.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic