National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Rd 2 scores Sat Sept 25th

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 17:44
Big win for Richmond well done. 
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 18:02
Bad day at the office for The Pirates - I don't think anyone saw that coming. Well played Hartpury. There will have to be a massive reaction for next week against Ealing or it could be a cricket score.
Baggins View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baggins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 18:08
Ampthill vs Cov was a strange game.

Ampthill were only on top for the 1st 20mins but scored 5 penalties, taking points on offer in the first half was the difference between sides in teh end.

Cov are huge but just battered away getting nowhere for 60 mins, then when the benches emptied Ampthill started to crumble in the face of that 60 minute onslaught.

So Ampthill shouldn't have come so close to losing after being 18:0 up, but on the other hand Coventry really should have made their dominance of possession tell long before the 60+ minute they finally flopped over the line.

Excellent win for Ampthill because Coventry came in to this with momentum and obviously fancying their chances but they went away with 1 point.

But I'd guess Coventry will be top half end of the season and Ampthill bottom half, Cov will batter some sides into submission this year.

Propping up the board
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 18:30
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

Originally posted by Bedfordian Bedfordian wrote:

As I predicted, Bedfords lack of maul defence does for them. 

Not a lot you can do from 5m out when you play a side who always focus on the maul as their key weapon, where the Blues focus on other things with their limited time.

No other team in the league consistently concedes as many maul tries as us. Today, it cost us 4 tries and 3 yellow cards (during which jersey scored one of their 2 non maul tries). As I’ve said before, it’s really hard to win games when the other team are guaranteed 14-21 from mauls (albeit we did get one today).

Also sounded like the lineout was a shambles. We must’ve lost about 10 on our own throw and changing the hooker didn’t make much difference. We were missing our best lineout operator and it functioned ok in pre season so hopefully that was a one off.

To be fair, Bedfords lineout was very poor today. Flat, but slow ball or overthrown. Only a couple of times in the 2nd half did they get the ball to the catcher at the apex….. training ground stuff me thinks.
Great to see the many Blues who made the trip over. It is really appreciated by all of us and know that traveling isn’t easy at the moment.
Safe trip back all.
Tackle Low!!!!!
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 18:41
Well who would have thought it after 60 mins down 3-24 down to 13 players we make  1 substitute the game turned quite frankly the Archers deserved the lead a Richmond star was born

Edited by Member728 - 25 Sep 2021 at 18:42
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 18:53
Originally posted by Bluesman11 Bluesman11 wrote:

Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

As I predicted, Bedfords lack of maul defence does for them. 

Not a lot you can do from 5m out when you play a side who always focus on the maul as their key weapon, where the Blues focus on other things with their limited time.

No other team in the league consistently concedes as many maul tries as us. Today, it cost us 4 tries and 3 yellow cards (during which jersey scored one of their 2 non maul tries). As I’ve said before, it’s really hard to win games when the other team are guaranteed 14-21 from mauls (albeit we did get one today).

Also sounded like the lineout was a shambles. We must’ve lost about 10 on our own throw and changing the hooker didn’t make much difference. We were missing our best lineout operator and it functioned ok in pre season so hopefully that was a one off.
Great post mate. Blues forwards were broadly as big as the Jersey lads today but the real difference I suspect was that Jersey practice the maul in training (probably until they know the drills in their sleep) and keep practicing until their maul and maul defence improves. Both sides have the videos of every game and any decent forwards coach will dissect them. Improving performance at any facet of the game requires work. Blues backs were brilliant today - a cracking Championship match between two good teams imo.

Edited by corporalcarrot - 25 Sep 2021 at 18:57
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 20:10
Went to the Donny/Scottish game today and 36 - 7 definitely didn’t reflect the flow of the game. Some silly indiscipline eventually undid LS. They got 2 yellows which Donny capitalised on. Being brutally honest, I thought it was an average performance by the Knights. Certainly, the first half was very mediocre. The second half was a bit better but it’s far from the best game I’ve seen. Donny look some way short of last season’s form at the moment. Still far too many mistakes and we don’t look threatening in the backs. We in particular lack a real ball-carrier in midfield. It’s 5 points but we really need to improve ahead of Bedford. One really disappointing thing was that only 836 people turned up to see the game. That’s not a good crowd.
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2021 at 23:40
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

Bad day at the office for The Pirates - I don't think anyone saw that coming. Well played Hartpury. There will have to be a massive reaction for next week against Ealing or it could be a cricket score.

I predicted a pirates win, but I did think that pury were better this year than in the past when they played Ealing, so surprised, but not shocked.
Member728 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Member728 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 00:28
What a game at the Mighty Mond 60 mins  out played the last 20  simply outstanding even the Ealing supporters at the game were impressed 

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 07:17
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 08:27
A huge well done to Ampthill for their win yesterday over Coventry. I could only follow it on Twitter but it seems that Coventry gave away far too many penalties with Ampthill gleefully taking the points on offer. Nothing wrong with that. Did anyone forecast a 4-1 win for the home side. I know I didn’t.

Looking at the other results and it is evident that after just two games, this league will be very topsy turvey with only one team winning their opening two games.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 08:45
Originally posted by Cherub Cherub wrote:

Looking at the other results and it is evident that after just two games, this league will be very topsy turvey with only one team winning their opening two games.
Great results for Ealing yesterday.
Cherub View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cherub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 18:15
I have just read some of the comments posted on the Coventry supporters unofficial forum and was surprised by some of the disrespectful things said about Ampthill, such as being described as a “jumped up shower”, and criticising Paul Turner’s coaching abilities. In my opinion, Coventry are a solid Championship side. They have an excellent squad, good support, and I expect them to be near the top of the league come next spring. It’s just a shame that some of their supporters appear to be sore losers.
Always trying to stay bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 19:15
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 20:59

I have just read some of the comments posted on the Coventry supporters unofficial forum and was surprised by some of the disrespectful things said about Ampthill, such as being described as a “jumped up shower”, and criticising Paul Turner’s coaching abilities. In my opinion, Coventry are a solid Championship side. They have an excellent squad, good support, and I expect them to be near the top of the league come next spring. It’s just a shame that some of their supporters appear to be sore losers.

People of a certain age, or those who have a working knowledge of rugby history - I have a foot in both camps - will know that Cov used to be one of the top names in English rugby, with a high-calibre fixture list, several trophies & multiple England caps to show for it. Although it’s quite a while - 33 years I think - since they were in the top flight, I think it’s fair to say that some Cov supporters took a while to fully adjust to their ‘new’ status at level 2, then level 3, & now back to 2 again. That may explain why these supporters (who are almost certainly a minority) struggle with the whole ‘mutual respect’ rugby value when it comes to certain opposing clubs…
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 21:15
Great try.
pappashanga
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 08:43
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

People of a certain age, or those who have a working knowledge of rugby history - I have a foot in both camps - will know that Cov used to be one of the top names in English rugby, with a high-calibre fixture list, several trophies & multiple England caps to show for it. Although it’s quite a while - 33 years I think - since they were in the top flight, I think it’s fair to say that some Cov supporters took a while to fully adjust to their ‘new’ status at level 2, then level 3, & now back to 2 again. That may explain why these supporters (who are almost certainly a minority) struggle with the whole ‘mutual respect’ rugby value when it comes to certain opposing clubs…

I can very much agree it is a minority at Cov - on one of my previous visits I have to say I and my fellow supporters were verbally abused by a disgruntled supporter in the stand. He did save this for the final whistle when he turned around from further down the stand questioned our parentage with a few choice F's and Jeffs and then scuttled away quickly before he could explain himself to my rather large travelling companion who wished to ask him his rationale for such behaviour - that and one other occasion where I witnessed a Cov supporter try and assault one of our supporters under the stand in the Bar (the other Cov supporters in the bar very quickly ejected this person and were very apologetic to my fellow supporter - they demonstrated the true behaviour of Coventry fans). I was at the Cov - Knights game two weekends back and witnessed no ill manner / behaviour from Cov supporters then which is the norm I would say.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Bedfordian View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedfordian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 08:50
Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Jersey Reds opening try from Dan Barnes v Bedford Blues - YouTube

Is that the only non-rolling maul try you can find? Wink
Kimbo View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 08:53
Originally posted by islander islander wrote:

'Some', yes.
I've followed Cov since about '66, so certainly come into that 'certain age' category. However, I just as certainly don't allow my postings here or there to nudge into the territory described.
As the idiot that runs the Cov Unofficial, I must admit I'm somewhat irked by some of the comments, and can assure you that anything beyond decency is removed instantly. Nothing  has been yet this week though. 
I am hoping to persuade one of our occasional contributors, who has a refereeing background to put together a small piece based on his view of proceedings (if he has time), so perhaps watch that space. I can guarantee it will be absolutely balanced.
Our City,
Our Club
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 09:18

Originally posted by corporalcarrot corporalcarrot wrote:

Jersey Reds opening try from Dan Barnes v Bedford Blues - YouTube

Is that the only non-rolling maul try you can find? Wink
So far mate. Do you wonder if Blues coaches spend any time with their squad practicing rolling-mauls and just as importantly practicing how to defend them without gathering yellow cards?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic