National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > The Championship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

2021-22 Championship - Week 3 Games

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 17:13
You have got to love the Pirates - they always seem to pull a number on the big boys. Well done boys
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 17:26
Originally posted by The Blues The Blues wrote:

FT Pirates (4) 15 - 12 (1) Ealing

Ealing could have got a draw but 1 or 2 points isn’t much difference.
If you consider Pirates as the most credible threat to Ealing a draw would have been 1 more point for Ealing and 2 points less for Pirates. You have to appreciate their confidence in going for the win however but brilliant result by Pirates not many teams will beat Ealing this term.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Pirate Pig View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Pig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 17:39
After the disappointment of losing last week at Hartpury the Pirates produced an almost faultless 70 minutes to deservedly hold a 15-7 lead against promotion favourites Ealing.
As Ealing emptied their bench and scored to reduce the home advantage to 3 points they started forcing the pirates back. It took a huge defensive effort from the home side to prevent Ealing from crossing their line to snatch the win at the death.
A good advert for championship rugby in a tight physical game well officiated by Sara Cox.
Donnyknightfan View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnyknightfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 18:46
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

You have got to love the Pirates - they always seem to pull a number on the big boys. Well done boys

Anyone who thought Ealing were going to have an enjoyable stroll to the Premiership has been well and truly put right today. That won’t be the only away game they lose either. Ealing are under immense pressure this season and I think it could tell on them. Any away game against a top 5 team and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ealing get turned over. 
Donny Knights - best team in Yorkshire
Stalwart View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stalwart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 19:54
The key was that the Pirates more than matched a much bigger and heavier Ealing 8 at set piece and breakdown and the defence was brilliant. When your team play with that kind of passion and commitment it warms the heart!
gerg_861 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerg_861 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 20:12
Originally posted by Stalwart Stalwart wrote:

The key was that the Pirates more than matched a much bigger and heavier Ealing 8 at set piece and breakdown and the defence was brilliant. When your team play with that kind of passion and commitment it warms the heart!

I'm quite concerned about some of the selection that I'm seeing this year. Maybe there are injuries that I'm unaware of, but I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a fan of Kyle Whyte. However, he seems to be a selection favorite. With him in, the Ealing pack was getting humped. As soon as Thiede came in, the pack stabilized. I think it is obvious to most fans that he isn't a better scrummager than several other options. On top of that, as I think I said before the match, the Ealing wings are NOT fast enough. You saw this in their getting abused on the 50:22 kicks several times. It wasn't a disastrous game for Ealing, but they should have been able to pull it out, and with the advantage in squad spend, they really shouldn't lose many games.
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 21:17
I thought at the start of the season that Ealing would lose a few games, Pirates away being as hard as it gets in the Champ. I suspect they could lose to Donny and maybe Jersey too. However those sides will lose more than 3 games I think. Should make for a very competitive season though and I agree with the poster above, Ealing are under a lot of pressure and expectation. Let’s see how they deal with it. 
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 21:56
Originally posted by Trailfinder Trailfinder wrote:

I thought at the start of the season that Ealing would lose a few games, Pirates away being as hard as it gets in the Champ. I suspect they could lose to Donny and maybe Jersey too. However those sides will lose more than 3 games I think. Should make for a very competitive season though and I agree with the poster above, Ealing are under a lot of pressure and expectation. Let’s see how they deal with it. 

Quite agree TF. Ealing are still the team to beat this season, although that was an incredible effort by Pirates.
This division has just got a little more open.
Tackle Low!!!!!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 22:23
Ealing do generally struggle a bit on grass, they need to get on some park pitches to have some training sessions! I do think Blues can turn Ealing over too, perhaps even Ampthill & Nottingham mud baths but Ealing will win enough away games to come out on top and be unbeaten at home.

It is the away games that will matter with the top teams generally winning all the home ones.

I know it is early on in this season but 3 weeks in, so 15 games and only 2 away wins, Ampthill @ Scottish and Reds @ Scottish. A theme?
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 22:25
With the weather this must be in with a chance of try of the week?

Edited by The Blues - 03 Oct 2021 at 23:13
corporalcarrot View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporalcarrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 08:38
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

Quite agree TF. Ealing are still the team to beat this season, although that was an incredible effort by Pirates.
This division has just got a little more open.
Fully agree 5 teams have 9 or 10 points already and they don't include Ealing! Every team in the league could raise their game and beat any other on a given weekend particularly on heavy grounds later in the season and I think Cov may have the best chance of beating Ealing at VW - brilliant back row, the fast ground will suit them and they will bring a huge following.
Dont kick it. Pick it up and GO FORWARD.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 08:59

You will throw a load more cash at it and if that does not work a load more.

With the money that Ward has had to spend in the last 5 years, its quite a feat not to have got out the division
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 09:25
Saracens
Newcastle
London Irish
Bristol
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
Scrumtime View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 09:38
Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Saracens
Newcastle
London Irish
Bristol

And.. you  want to play them week in week out. 

If you get into the Prem, whats the answer going to be each week.. we had XYZ this week..
Trailfinder View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trailfinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 10:14
One of the frequent moans you hear from the relegated Prem side is that each week the Champ team “plays like it’s their cup final”, as if the Champ teams are supposed to lie back and have their bellies rubbed! LOL

For Ealing, if they are seen as the team to beat, then I actually think this is as good preparation as any for a season in the Prem as they would have to be at their very best just to stay in each game. 

I make no presumption though, only that it will go down to the last two rounds I think. 
No 7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 20:47
Originally posted by Scrumtime Scrumtime wrote:

Originally posted by No 7 No 7 wrote:

Saracens
Newcastle
London Irish
Bristol

And.. you  want to play them week in week out. 

If you get into the Prem, whats the answer going to be each week.. we had XYZ this week..

No excuses but by your logic it is all based on money . The Premiership sides named all had far larger budgets than Ealing Trailfinders and in some cases the added financial parachute payments.
We could all take the attitude that it is a lost cause and accept an eternity in the Champioship but at least support a club who are giving it a real shot instead of emphasising the negatives .

Edited by No 7 - 04 Oct 2021 at 21:13
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 21:12
The only club Ealing could not compete with was Saracens, all the others they had a 50% chance, which they came out the wrong side. Ealing sign squads to win and not be best of the rest, if they were doing the latter they could’ve saved a lot of money and still achieved it.

This season there is no excuse. I am sure they make it but really they should have done it in a dominant way - unbeaten, now Pirates must be the only loss.

If Ealing want to stand a chance in the Premiership they need a decent DoR. Perhaps Ben Ward could be their assistant and learn from someone more experienced.
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 23:04
Brizzer View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 19:34

An early contender for try of the season. What makes it so remarkable is that Bedford won their own lineout
Tackle Low!!!!!
The Blues View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 22:44
Originally posted by Brizzer Brizzer wrote:

An early contender for try of the season. What makes it so remarkable is that Bedford won their own lineout

Clap It shocked the Knights defence as well!

I actually think the issue is the Blues have had 3 pre season games at Goldington Road and then they hit a flatter pitch they felt a bit dizzy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic