National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

Fuel shortage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinness John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel shortage
    Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 23:42
I see lower league football will be postponing games this weekend. Perhaps rugby might be forced to consider doing the same. 
Bedford Blues Supporter of the Year 2010 - 2011
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 00:15
It'll die down later in the week. Football are only doing it because of midweek fixtures.
kingsheathlad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsheathlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 07:09
Possible issue for coach companies. 
Cauliflower ear.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 07:55
There is no fuel shortage.
Just another BBC/Media driven story that is nowhere near as bad as they are reporting.

At least it's knocked the Covid graphs and figures further down the BBC's list of things to scare us with.
All Knwoing All Seeing
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 08:23
Originally posted by Sid James Sid James wrote:

Just another BBC/Media driven story that is nowhere near as bad as they are reporting.

At least it's knocked the Covid graphs and figures further down the BBC's list of things to scare us with.

well, there is a shortage at a lot of the pumps *now* because idiots have bought it all. There wasn't one when the media kicked it off...
keep the faith
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:04
Originally posted by billesleyexile billesleyexile wrote:

well, there is a shortage at a lot of the pumps *now* because idiots have bought it all. There wasn't one when the media kicked it off...

My point exactly. 
As you say "the media kicked it off". As they did with Covid, causing shortages of Toilet Roll and other basics at supermarkets. 
You can blame the people who panic buy if you wish but, they would not be acting in such a way had the BBC not invented the petrol shortage problem and stirred it up into what it is now.
The BBC reporters are standing outside Petrol Stations who are waiting for a delivery and acting as though the world is coming to an end. Why aren't they outside our Morrisons, which has seen no queues or shortage of petrol?  The BBC have a lot to answer for in this last 19 months.

Edited by Sid James - 28 Sep 2021 at 10:04
All Knwoing All Seeing
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:05
1) Most, if not all, coach companies keep their own fuel stocks and have dedicated supply lines so I can't see this being a problem
2) Surely 99% of vehicles in the UK are now full to the brim with fuel so unless folk start queueing just to get an extra £10 or £20 in (which isn't beyond the realms!) then I would expect the situation to ease over the coming days
3) A spokesperson for the Fuel Distribution Association reiterated last night that there is no fuel shortage and surprise surprise no shortage of fuel delivery drivers - just that everyone's gone out and bought it all over a short period of time
4) Sadly we live in an ever increasing world of "I'm alright Jack" so whenever anyone comes out with those immortal words "Don't panic buy" that's exactly what our totally selfish population goes out and does. Doesn't matter if its fuel, bog roll, bread or dog food
5) Shut the effin media down - we can do perfectly well without them and their sensationalised, exaggerated story lines
Ps Totally agree with Sid and Billesley exile above

Edited by Thatbloke - 28 Sep 2021 at 10:07
marigold View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marigold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 10:11
A more medium/long term issue on transport is the number of coach drivers who have left coach companies and moved over to become HGV drivers as the pay there is substantially more.
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 11:08

My point exactly. 
As you say "the media kicked it off". As they did with Covid, causing shortages of Toilet Roll and other basics at supermarkets. 
You can blame the people who panic buy if you wish but, they would not be acting in such a way had the BBC not invented the petrol shortage problem and stirred it up into what it is now.
The BBC reporters are standing outside Petrol Stations who are waiting for a delivery and acting as though the world is coming to an end. Why aren't they outside our Morrisons, which has seen no queues or shortage of petrol?  The BBC have a lot to answer for in this last 19 months.

There are regional differences. In South West London few petrol stations have any stock. When they do they have long queues. That is true not just of BP but of Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Esso garages near me. I filled up easily in Lutterworth on Saturday after leaving Leicester Lions but there had been queues that morning.

Just to correct your usual anti-BBC approach, the first I read was a press release from the Petrol Retailers’ Association saying many of their members were short of fuel. Then BP confirmed that they were closing 100 garages. The media reported these but made no allowance for the stupidity of people who then fill up unnecessarily.
Sid James View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sid James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 13:03
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

My point exactly. 

There are regional differences. In South West London few petrol stations have any stock. When they do they have long queues. That is true not just of BP but of Sainsbury’s, Tesco and Esso garages near me. I filled up easily in Lutterworth on Saturday after leaving Leicester Lions but there had been queues that morning.

Just to correct your usual anti-BBC approach, the first I read was a press release from the Petrol Retailers’ Association saying many of their members were short of fuel. Then BP confirmed that they were closing 100 garages. The media reported these but made no allowance for the stupidity of people who then fill up unnecessarily.

"usual anti-BBC approach"
Just to correct you Haliford, in this instance we are referring to 'BBC News' and not any of the other BBC departments which do provide some excellent services.
Your recollections regarding who said what first may be correct but it is clearly the BBC News which is again guilty of causing panic amongst the more gullible members of society in the South West of London, as per your observations. 
All Knwoing All Seeing
WEvans View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEvans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 14:01

Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

My point exactly. 

"usual anti-BBC approach"
Just to correct you Haliford, in this instance we are referring to 'BBC News' and not any of the other BBC departments which do provide some excellent services.
Your recollections regarding who said what first may be correct but it is clearly the BBC News which is again guilty of causing panic amongst the more gullible members of society in the South West of London, as per your observations. 

Do you believe it is only the BBC who are reporting the matter or are you choosing just to blame the BBC for the panic buying?
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 14:20
It is just the BBC and the gutter press:

Sweeney Delenda Est
kempstonblue View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kempstonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 15:53
They had to sell off the E5 unleaded before October…
Looking forward to new beginnings.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 16:25
Originally posted by kempstonblue kempstonblue wrote:

They had to sell off the E5 unleaded before October…

LOL

Incidentally, as an exile, a total lack of diesel is why I didn't make it to Mose on Saturday. And I'd got better things to do with my Saturday morning than cruise rural Northants looking for it. Especially given we're equidistant from 2 petrol stations - both 8 miles away in opposite directions. I'd have needed about 50 miles of fuel left to be sure of getting round the garages and back to the house if unsuccessful (and leaving a margin to try again another day)!
keep the faith
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 17:19
Two videos doing the rounds - one with a woman filling 1 litre water bottles with petrol, another trying to put petrol in plastic bags - can you believe it!? 
fatbear View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 19:55
The BP station in Thame has been without unleaded since Friday and Diesel since Saturday. The station on the edge of town was empty on Saturday, had some supplies on Monday but with huge queues, and was empty today.

For me it is like lockdown, essential journeys only

Rabbie Burns View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbie Burns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 16:52
No Diesel where I live at the moment so I am hoping the vani collect on Friday is full so I can give it another couple of days to calm down otherwise I might have trouble transporting kit to Chinnor and the players will have to sit with their bags on their laps as the hold is filled with physio tables & pads 😂😂. I believe it is regional, luckily I filled up on route to the club before the BBC lead with the shortage story (which at the time was about 100 ish BP stations out of 1200) but as it was constantly repeated across all channels plus the Sun lovely front page by 8am on Friday the 4 garages I pass on route to school had long queues and blocked any roads around them
So many Christians not enough Lions
Pappashanga View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pappashanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 19:05
Someone I work with has been to the petrol station twice this week and his wife once. I told him it was lots of otherwise stable people like him who are causing this nonsense .
Passes two queues of at least 100 cars in Bromley. 
Remember the story about War of  the Worlds?
pappashanga
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 22:07
I remember laughing at "Drop the dead donkey" now it seems to be mainstream press training material...............................
Onion Hawk View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Onion Hawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 18:56
Late to the debate but I saw Sky, C4 and the headlines on every national newspaper reporting on the fuel shortages.  While it is entirely correct that the BBC did report it, it is entirely incorrect that the BBC caused this issue.  They may have been part of a wider media issue, but drilling it right down to the BBC and ignoring others really does sound to be an agenda driven position….. which is ironic given the agenda accusations toward the BBC.  

I absolutely agree the media has compounded the problem though.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic