National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Regional 1
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

LSE1 Week 5 Predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sir_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 22:32
Originally posted by Anonymous Anonymous wrote:

Doosh I speak to current players there, David Banfield for example is being paid £200+ a game. There are others such as Pohlen, McPherson, Josh smith to name a few getting a brown envelope each week from Mark. Westcombe have always paid players

What a way for my fantastic Sunday lunch to be ruined. Receiving calls and text from  people telling me that I should take a look at RM as its making me look bad!!

For context, I am the "Mark" of brown envelope infamy as outed by the most knowledgeable and perfectly sane "Anonymous"

This is most definitely a (Big) bite and i'm gutted that I have done so, I have been in the past a regular contributor to this forum but prefer simply to read and chuckle these days despite the latest wave of 'Combe bashing!!
Two or Three individuals set up accounts every season with the sole purpose of throwing mud at other clubs and those like me that have been on this forum for several years have seen it all before across all divisions. Fortunately these individuals tend to disappear as quickly as they came and then leave the adults alone to talk sensibly about rugby and all things related.
Every club has its disgruntled ex members, ex players and dads who's son's didn't quite make the grade and green eyed monsters that use forums like this to seek some sort of weird revenge! The club can deal with this, it's just so unimportant. 

Westcombe have been paying players for 20+ years, its no secret, never has been, its not a new thing, we are honest. Others maybe not so!
I am comfortable with the clubs model, it works for 'Combe but accept it isn't for everyone.
Our club may need "smartening up"  but we hope our welcome and "bonhomie" is good enough for most (it seems to be), despite our apparently dilapidated facility. It's our home and I love it!

The club always been open and honest about where they stand regarding payments to players and believe that lads travelling and turning up to training twice a week and then putting their bodies on the line every Saturday x 26 deserve some sort of compensation even if it's just enough to cover their fuel for the week or enough to buy a few of there mates a beer on a Saturday after the game and a kebab on the way home. Again, it works for us but accept its not for everyone.

Anonymous, the figures you quote Re Banfield are quite marvelous and I can only dream that we could afford to pay those sums (p.s Dave is worth it, probably more!) , personally I would never sanction £200+ a game to anyone at level 5. I think someone may have been pulling your leg and you fell for!

It's difficult at Combe the moment, 4 defeats on the spin is always going to hurt but we've been promoted into a tough league packed full of very good teams and clubs that we love to host and visit, we have a bunch of talented young players that are still finding their feet at this level but we are starting to gel, later than we'd have hoped but it is coming and the lads are working there backsides off for each other to make it happen. 

I am however reasonably confident that we won't get relegated this season Wink

IMPORTANT & FACTUAL BIT: All contracted players at WPRFC go through the correct HMRC protocols and pay tax and NI on their earnings. There are no brown envelopes. The club declares that they pay players to the RFU and provide the RFU with a breakdown every year. 
All players contracts are scrutinised and approved by the RFU.
I know this because I personally process all contracts and payments and sign the RFU declaration.

I hope I have gone some way to making the position clear,  but to re-cap:
1. Combe pay players and have done for ever (but not very much)
2. Combe are compliant and declare all payments as per RFU regulations (feel free to check)
3. Combe are finding level 5 tough at the moment which was fully expected (But the boys are working hard and it's coming)
4. I'd be interested to learn of any club in this league that doesn't give some sort of benefit in kind to at least 1 player on their books.(really I would, i'm genuinely interested)

Very Important Bit: "Anonymous", you have publicly on an open forum accused me of illegal activity and operating outside of the RFU rules, that my friend is libelous and I therefore invite you to retract your statement and apologise accordingly.

Please feel free to DM me if you have any comments.

carlos fandango View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carlos fandango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 22:48
Just to get back to the rugby. Tring achieved their first ever victory at Hertford this week and though it pains me greatly to say it, they deserved it. Played the conditions, and the ref, much better than us. 

Might have been different if we hadn't dropped the ball twice going over the goal line. But hey ho, we did. So no point crying over spilt milk.
SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2021 at 23:36
Blimey. That was a great insight into westcombe park rfc. Pretty defensive I would say. I would suggest WP may want to think about their payment to players strategy. It simply isn't working. Totally outplayed by the last 4 teams and won against a limping Sutton and Epsom
Thunderpants View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thunderpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 07:06
Wink
It really was from the 22....
chinese dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chinese dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 07:40
This used to be a fit of fun with a little insight into each others clubs, frankly i'm bored with the sniping and baiting from some of our newer posters who are trying to turn this into some sort of troll fest, so i'm off.
BigChief View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

London Scottish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigChief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 08:02
Not all this nonsense again Wacko

For the ordinary purposes of conversation, a superficial knowledge of many things goes further than an intimacy with one or two.
HAVANT TONY View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 08:23
Thought we may have left the boring WP bashing behind at level 6..obviously  not!!
I can only speak from personal experience and there are some bloody good people at WP and have enjoyed our visits to their place good banter and good hospitality .As I previously  said yes they pay players but are perfectly open about the fact.
Can only wish them the best ..except  when we play them of course😁
Lord_Kitchener View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord_Kitchener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 14:22

From my previous days at S&E I know they pay players. I also know that Hertford pay out, apparently it’s for travel expenses 🤥. Wimbledon have also been known to pay out, however not sure they have the budget anymore to do so. 

Smoking the good stuff hey Kyle?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 16:33
Originally posted by Lord_Kitchener Lord_Kitchener wrote:

From my previous days at S&E I know they pay players. I also know that Hertford pay out, apparently it’s for travel expenses 🤥. Wimbledon have also been known to pay out, however not sure they have the budget anymore to do so. 

Smoking the good stuff hey Kyle?
Previously " more clubs than tiger" ?
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 18:10
Originally posted by chinese dave chinese dave wrote:

This used to be a fit of fun with a little insight into each others clubs, frankly i'm bored with the sniping and baiting from some of our newer posters who are trying to turn this into some sort of troll fest, so i'm off.

I hope you are 'Not Off' Chinese Dave...... As a long contributor and avid S&E fan we at Dorking need you to hang in there, especially when we have our derby games. As Sir Q has so eloquently laid his cards on the table, then good for him. I agree there are agitators amongst us and their snipes and goading should be ignored and the bait not taken. They will eventually dis-appear into the ether. Every club has a right to chose the way it is managed, with only one caveat IMO, that it is run within the affordability and financial constraints of the respective club. For heavens sake none of us want to see any Rugby Club go into administration and fold. The trend of recent examples which we all know about should be stopped.  
Fezantplucker
WESTCOMBE RANGER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Westcombe Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WESTCOMBE RANGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2021 at 23:08
Well said Fez Ant, totally echo your sentiments and hope you, Chinese Dave, stick around or it means the Trolls have won, which the decent folks on here (99.99 pct) wouldn't want.. 
Look forward to reading your next post. 
Ranger
The older I get, the better I was.
@boatyjames View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 10:26
Hi All, Wimbledon RFC fan here, seems like the amateur v match fee wars continue on this site as much as ever!
So everyone knows we pay a match fee to the 18 who play each Saturday, flat fee across the squad, not win related. We have only very recently made this choice, having previously gone with one or two contracted players, player coaches and a bit of expenses. It means we have lost a few of our “stars” but is beneficial in other ways, particularly in increasing the diversity of our player base.
Player payment has always been secondary to an excellent coaching and medical/physio environment which is essential for all successful clubs we think.
Early days in the league I think, thus far we have only played Hertford amongst those in the top half - it looks like Dorking and Sevenoaks are particularly strong.
Cheers
JB
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:30
BOATY JAMES
Think most knew Wimbledon paid ..but an honest insight never the less
In case we cant get grub at the clubhouse  on our visit to your place in two weeks time where is the nearest pub ..looks like a 20 min trek through the sodding common to the nearest pub if google maps is correct!
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:53
Havant Tony
I am sure their will be food available at the club, they are having a big lunch for VP’s or the like, would you want to join them 1pm sit down. I can put you in touch if so.
If you are turning up nearer KO time we usually have the bbq on or similar - we have a very good chef atm.
If you prefer a hostelry the Hand in Hand or Crooked Billet are good foody pubs serving excellent ale (though a bit pricey!). Swan on the Ridgway also good.
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @boatyjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 11:58
Just checked and seats are still available for the lunch until Friday. £30 a head including wine. Let me know. JB
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 16:39
Boaty James
Thanks for the heads up..not sure of our arrival time so we will either go for one of the pubs you suggested or the club BBQ
Will get you a beer if you are at the game..you'll  recognise  me 'cos I will be the loud one 📢😁
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 11:18
Originally posted by HAVANT TONY HAVANT TONY wrote:

Boaty James
Thanks for the heads up..not sure of our arrival time so we will either go for one of the pubs you suggested or the club BBQ
Will get you a beer if you are at the game..you'll  recognise  me 'cos I will be the loud one 📢😁
Hi Havant Tony
A couple of tough games coming up for Havant, will sort the league out a little. Wink Our army of Derelicts are getting ready for Dorkings trip to Havant on 23rd, and relish our visit to your 'dungeon pub' aka clubhouse bar. Quite a unique atmosphere from memory of our last visit a few years back. We too have a few Noisy and Vocal derelicts to compete with you in the 'theatre of dreams' Looking forward to a great day and hope for some good rugby, mutual friendship, banter and good ale. 
Fezantplucker
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 14:59
FEZ ANT PLUCKER
 Agree, two very hard games coming up for us, if we are on our game then we'll give both you and Wimbledon a hard time I reckon😁
You will notice a big difference  in our Ground and clubhouse as we have put RFU money to very good use with our new pitch & extending the upstairs bar. The downstairs bar known as Bob's  bar is quite unique and is still going strong , HSB is still served  at the bars " the best bitter in the land in my opinion" 
If I remember rightly your lot has a club blazer that hurts the back of your eyes to look at so not looking forward to that but looking forward  to a loudness competition  which you will undoubtedly  lose😁

SurreyRugby View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SurreyRugby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 15:29
I predict Havant will lose them both.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAVANT TONY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 15:36
SURREY RUGBY
You obviously  ain't very good at predictions  then 😂
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic