National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > Clubhouse chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

New laws what do we think?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New laws what do we think?
    Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 19:22
Originally posted by castleparknight castleparknight wrote:

Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

I hate the goal-line drop out, its too RL for my liking. 

Got to agree - and is unfair on the attacking Team.

I think the intention is that it rewards the defending team for good defence - seems to have lessened the occurrences of pick & go - which is no bad thing.
RAID ON
castleparknight View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castleparknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 14:14
Originally posted by Robb Robb wrote:

Got to agree - and is unfair on the attacking Team.
Onward and Upwards C'mon Donny!
Robb View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 13:26
sedgley dave View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sedgley dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 10:12
The combination of the new latching law + the goal-line drop-out seems to be reducing the amount of pick and drive, which must be a good thing. I think the 50-22 is working better in RU than in RL, not in the kick itself, but the threat of the kick is creating space on the gain-line.

A bit artificial, though? And I'm not sure if it has yet had an impact at our level; there's usually a lag behind the Premiership on these things, as our coaches watch on TV.

Nor have I seen yet (touch wood) any of the hysterical high-tackle red cards we get in the Prem. Good to see a ref stand up to his TMO the other day. Common sense seems to prevail at our level. So far.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 19:36
Last Saturday's match saw the referee forget the new laws until reminded by one of our players.

Judging by the number of times I have seen defenders touch down in goal when not under pressure, it may take some players some time to get out of the habit of touch down and get a 22 drop out.

The 50-22 kick option seems a little too easy for my liking - RL has a better version where it is 40-20 - presumably RU wanted something different.

I understand the rationale behind the change, but feel it has meant more kicking rather than more space to run judging by the Premiership matches I have seen.
RAID ON
OldNick View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 13:43
Three matches in and we've had one well refereed match, and one very inconsistent. On that basis far to soon to tell, or even to tell how the old laws work. 
oneagainstthehead View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneagainstthehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 13:30
Originally posted by Redted Redted wrote:

50:22 is good keep it.

Goal line drop-out.  Not so sure may need some tinkering, last week our opposition were under pressure from a 5 yard line out threw the ball back to a player in-goal whose kick was charged down. The ball went dead and the re-start was a drop out under the posts.  This seemed unfair and did not reward the attacking team as a 5 yard scrum would have.  I'm OK with the drop out if the attacker is held up.
Very good point. Five metre scrum should be retained if carried/played back into in-goal by defenders.
Speak softly, but carry a big stick.
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 13:30
But if it was charged down in the field of play, wouldn't it have been a 22m drop out before? As the charge down counts as putting the ball into the in-goal.

If the charge down was in the in-goal after the defenders took the ball back in, I believe it should still have been an attacking 5m scrum.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Mark W-J View Drop Down
Coaching staff
Coaching staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 13:30
Would the charged-down kick not have resulted in a 22 drop out for the defending team under the old laws?  Or is it different if the defending team took the ball back into the in-goal area?
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 12:39
50:22 is good keep it.

Goal line drop-out.  Not so sure may need some tinkering, last week our opposition were under pressure from a 5 yard line out threw the ball back to a player in-goal whose kick was charged down. The ball went dead and the re-start was a drop out under the posts.  This seemed unfair and did not reward the attacking team as a 5 yard scrum would have.  I'm OK with the drop out if the attacker is held up.
billesleyexile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billesleyexile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 11:37
50:22 is fine - it addresses an issue with the elite game, doesn't have much of an impact lower down, but is a good reward if it can be pulled off. I certainly don't think it's doing any damage. Agree with Count Ford on the drop out.
keep the faith
Count Ford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Count Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 09:49
The 50-22 rule hasn't  really had much impact and  wouldn't really mind whether it's kept or discarded 

People will have their own view on the goal line drop out but personally I like it. Its a deserved reward for excellent defence. Its a hard job to stop a team scoring from a few yards out. 
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 09:18
We have had enough games now to form a view.
What do we think of the new laws, the goal line drop out and the 50:22.
Personally, I think it is mindless tinkering.
I think the 50:22 attempts to fix a problem that only exists in the elite game and does it badly, but happens rarely enough not to be a big problem at our level.
And the goal line drop out is mildly worse for the defenders when dotting down a loose kick through, but much worse for the attackers if they are held up.
But surely someone else has an opinion.
Sweeney Delenda Est
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic