National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
Author
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 16:32

Sweaty I expected a tightish score due to the weather , Wow the wine is open and flowing
Another one against the head
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 16:38
Howling gale in S E Essex with a fired up home side pushing their old coach and players all the way before a hard earned 17 - 9 win for BSE at Westcliff

sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 16:50
Originally posted by Even Older Hooker Even Older Hooker wrote:

Sweaty I expected a tightish score due to the weather , Wow the wine is open and flowing

have an extra one for me as I am off the booze at moment
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 16:58
Leave to Beryl and myself. We will do you proud !!!!!!

Another one against the head
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 18:39
not sure how much the weather played a part in all of today's results.......but generally speaking, there was much lower level of scoring than I expected, as evidenced by my dodgy predictions again.

That seemed like quite a turnaround by Westcliff.......still losing but keeping it very tight and close to picking up an LBP ?

I guess that the surprise result of the day was Raiders win at the Recreation Ground ?  I was not at the game but benefited from an plethora of text messages from a mate in situ. It seems we played into the wind (gale) in the first half and managed to keep the ball in hand successfully.....leading 5-10 at oranges.
I think we scored two nice backs tries in the second half to build a decent, two score lead.  I imagine that as ever, the Choppers pack launched an determined late attack trying to get back into the game and indeed, drew two yellow cards in the last 5mins, but did not get over the line.
A very pleasing win for the Raiders contingent.
After the Hinckley debacle the previous week....i was talking with fellow poster Wigwam....and we both said we would not be surprised if we then went to Redruth and won.  Amusingly, neither of us had the courage to predict it Big smile  

Shame the Esher/Guernsey encounter was called off, that would have been a really interesting game.

The Rochford pack seem to have given a good account of themselves again today, picking up a good LBP and showing what a threat they are if you are not 'on it'.  Hinckley continue to move up the table.

I do wonder if perhaps, the City Side are running into a bit of form.  While they have not won any of their last four games, they have come close on each occasion and seem to be defending better.  This league is quite tight enough without them getting involved Wink
Clifton did pick up the win, but a much more narrow one than I had expected.  Big game away at The Rugby Park next week. 

Another good 5pts for the Hawks.....who with their game in hand are now well in contention.  Dings again show they have a few tries in them, home or away, and picked up a good LBP.

OA's are a real curiosity to me, and perhaps the most difficult team to predict ? Ouch  They have had a number of outstanding wins, but some unexpected defeats  ?  That said.....Lions have won a succession of tight, low scoring games.  I've not seen them play yet but it seems that only Redruth have a better defence,  They are up to 6th now and well in contention themselves.

As ever, I am hoping that posters who were at games today can give us a better insight.

tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 11:05
I missed yesterday, power cut for 28 hours, just getting back to normal, though roads and rail lines still closed in places.
All I can say come on the Lions
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 18:44
More outstanding exchanges in our league today.  Hoping as ever for some eyewitness accounts.

Result of the day for me was the crushing win for OA's in Guernsey.  After a very good start, the islanders seem to be falling away.  I did say I thought that they would finish outside the top 4......and that looks increasingly likely to be the case.  
I remain confused by OA's consistency but this was great win on the road.
Esher continue to look impressive and that must have been a stunning game to watch at the Haberden. 
A 12 try extravaganza for the lucky fans.  Esher now perhaps looking favourites ?

I was expecting a similar high scoring affair at The Rugby Park, but witnessed an incredibly intense, high tempo exchange between two very good sides.  The consistent level of physicality, right across the park, made it look much more like a Nat1 game to me.  
In fact, i would have to say I cannot a recall s season with so many very good sides in it.  The top 8 are so close and will no doubt, continue to beat each other as the season progresses Big smile  

FWIW.....I thought Raiders were the better side on the day, and after dominating both territory and possession the first half, should have been at least two scores clear at the interval.  But our lineout malfunctioned yet again at key moments and attacking opportunities were squandered.  
The Clifton front row were quality, but arguably matched by Raiders.  The two most impactful opponents for me though, were the 5 Harper, and the 12 Nel, who was outstanding.
A game of tight margins and we had both a conversion and a penn hit the post.  no complaints though.....Clifton took their chances, punished our mistakes and edged a good game of rugby.

Are there a few cracks starting to show at Redruth ?  A good 5pts from them today and Rochford is not an easy place to visit, but i think we all expected them to win this one more easily ?

Another efficient job by the Hawks.....by no means a given winning 5-0 at Barnstaple....I suspect that the addition of Will Crow to their match day team has been an tremendous fillip Ouch.   
As expected......Hawks too are well in contention now.OuchOuch

The Hinckley lads had another good day on the road, scoring another 4 tries, but Dings had the better of another entertaining encounter with 4 tries of their own.

The City side did their job against Westcliff......not much else to say there.

overall......i think that there are 7 sides that still think that they can win this league.  it's going to be fun Big smileWink  

sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 19:15
yes Darth - one that got away re Worthing - always thought it would be a tight game and so it proved. I came away thinking it was one of those games that could have gone either way - fine margins (hitting the post with a penalty for example)

Normally I can pinpoint where things went wrong in a defeat but struggling this time
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 19:19
Some uncharacteristic dropsy moments by Worthing today. Three excellent opportunities dropped by cold fingers. Chuck in twice hitting the posts it was one of those days. Luck runs some fine lines at times that’s for sure. 
Clifton to their credit kept at it and took their opportunities so well done them. 

Pace Power Perfection
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:42
I also expected a high scoring but close game at Worthing.

As DR states the Worthing line out did not function at all well (not for the first time this season).

Probably the best game this season at Rugby Park, with defences on top for the most part.

Anscombe's long range penalty hitting the inside of the post but staying out just before the break ended up being the difference between a win and the defeat.

Bounce of the ball into touch when Levi was leading the chase to score also just showed how fickle the bounce of a rugby ball is.

Congratulations to Clifton on their win.
RAID ON
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 13:58
Esher kicked just one conversion of 7 tries at Bury yesterday. It was definitely windy but one of those off days for our normally reliable kicker.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 18:51
Its true if Esher had made their kicks they would have been out of sight as they schooled Bury in the firtst half, capitalising on silly mistakes and interceptions...But windy....no, Reed landed 5 out of his 6 kicks as Bury staged a great second half comeback
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 11:27
I hope the Barnes players are all ok after the call off last weekend due to covid, I'm guessing that game will be re-scheduled for later in the year?
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 16:38
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

I hope the Barnes players are all ok after the call off last weekend due to covid, I'm guessing that game will be re-scheduled for later in the year?

Unfortunately, I suspect a lot of other games will be postponed for the same reason during the next few months with the spread of the new variant.

Scarlett have conceded their Champions Cup match at Bristol because they haven't enough senior players available

Edited by Raider999 - 07 Dec 2021 at 16:40
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 16:56
The professional team try to squeeze in so many matches, 36 to 43 I believe for the premiership depending on how far they go in the knock-out rounds, it was inevitable that games would be conceded rather than postponed.
Sweeney Delenda Est
honestinjun View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 00:00
Very kind of you Tigerburnie, training is cancelled tomorrow as we assess how many men we have down…London has a low vaccination rate overall and the tube and buses are a serious spreading risk with this new version…I think there will be a work from home order in London within the week…worrying times!
HonestInjun
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 17:49
Originally posted by honestinjun honestinjun wrote:

Very kind of you Tigerburnie, training is cancelled tomorrow as we assess how many men we have down…London has a low vaccination rate overall and the tube and buses are a serious spreading risk with this new version…I think there will be a work from home order in London within the week…worrying times!
No problem the guys health is the most important thing.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 23:08
We have 7 lads from the 2’s playing tomorrow to get a side to play OA’s - the show must go on!
HonestInjun
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 19:43
I think I need to give up on this Nat2S prediction stuff......seems beyond me Ouch

OA's doing my head in again.  how did they manage that ?  Though I confess I was probably influenced by Honestinjun telling us they had seven second teamers out.......even more surprising or low animal cunning from Injun ? Tongue

That said.....there were several other scores of note.
Hawks seem to be struggling against sides that can match their impressive pack.....and back row in particular ?  They are still well in contention but this was a second surprise home defeat (for me) Big smile
Very well done Lions and a TBP too ?  rare for them.  Are they too now setting their stall out for a title 
challenge.  I thought that very unlikely as they don't score enough points (usually).

Choppers and Esher.....both with a game in hand, seem to be building a bit of a gap at the top now ?
That said, the former are not winning as impressively as they did in the earlier part of the season and Esher are starting to look favourites for me.  They will probably bring significant travelling support to the Rugby Park next week

The City side have been on a decent run of performances of late and i expected them to give a good account of themselves at Molsey Rd.....but Esher put a nil on them while scoring a bonus point themselves......impressive.

Another 8 tries for our league top scorers Clifton.....Rochford are no pushovers and the Bristol boys remain well in the hunt.  They have a great deal of pace and power out wide if they can win enough ball.

in form Hinckley dispatched Barnum as expected and continue to move up the table.

I hope that both of our northern visitors are enjoying their Nat2S experience this year....i believe it prepares them very well for success when they decide to return north.

I did not get to Westcliff today......pleased to hear from anybody who did actually join the Raid.  shocked to see us go 12-0 down but also pleased with the recovery.  FWIW.....i suspect my lot will be a stronger side in the second half.....we have an unusually big squad (for us) this year and may yet bring it to bear.

so we reach half way in our season......and a great one it has been so far.  I change my mind most weeks about how it will end up.  but for now at least......i think the bottom three will stay where they are and also the top 6 .....though much as we have seen in seasons past can change after xmas.

good luck all.....TongueWink

World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 00:11
Brilliant performance from Barnes on the road at OA’s, I was not hopeful beforehand but the younger lads really stepped up in the rain.  
HonestInjun
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
  Share Topic