National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 26>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honestinjun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 23:23
Clifton were just too good for us today, they played at pace, ball in hand, they were quicker to the breakdown, and physical throughout..their power forced too many turnovers when we had possession, and the pressure they exerted lead to also three Barnes gyellow cards, so for a chunk of the match we only had 14 players on the pitch, and on two separate occasions only 13, they bossed the game but we hung in there to score 4 tries for the losing BP. Clifton are the strongest side we have faced in a while and I can’t see them faltering in their ambition this season ..deservedly top of the league..
HonestInjun
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 09:11
I think Darth has forgotten the game of the day, Henley v Redruth!! I made the long trip up from Cornwall to watch this cracker of a game! Reds were missing a couple of players but they had a couple of Pirates loaned to them, fly half and a centre.
We were 14-0 up with a couple of good trys from our backs. Reds came back, with a rolling maul, 14-7. The turning point was another rolling maul in injury time to make it 14-14 at half time!
Reds came out in second half and scored a try from their big lock?, who thunder over from close range, 14-21. Then with 20 mins to go we were awarded a penalty try, 21-21. Apart from a few phases Reds were in our half the remaining 15 mins we were camped in the reds 5 meter trying to get the winning try, they gave penalties away like giving sweets away to a child in a sweet shop!! But boy oh boy didn’t they put their bodies on the line!!, what a tremendous defence they had!! 
So a draw it was, right result at the end, Henley might be disappointed on not winning and Reds going home with a draw! It back to square one, it will start again on Feb 5th down in Hell fire corner!!

Edited by The Hawks - 16 Jan 2022 at 09:13
'Go The Hawks!'
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
First XV regular
First XV regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:56

in fact....a good win win for BSE at Rochford.....clearly not an easy place to go to and pick up points

Definatley a much improved display from Bury...especially in defence...
Touch place to go but Bury looked in total control with 20 to go but Sir seemed determined to even things up awarding numerous penalties to the hosts and issuing cards a plenty till Roch scored in injury time.
Rochford are more than a match for most on their home paddock.
sweatysock View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 17:47
convincing performance by Worthing today, including some great tries. Seems to be a top 4 developing with a definite top 2!
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 18:36
Hi Sweaty.......there is a long way to yet.....but it is possible that the current top 4 are establishing a small gap to the chasing pack.  Many of the top sides play each other in the month ahead and I think that Redruth and Hawks in particular have some very tough fixtures.  
Agree that Clifton and Esher are looking very strong at the moment, but the squad depth of all sides is going to be tested out in the weeks ahead.  Much can change.

our lot are still hanging in there and made a decent fist of it today, winning more easily than I had thought we would.  OA;s have some very dangerous backs and we did well to starve them of possession for most of the game.

Am looking forward to Halliford's account of proceedings at Molesey Rd today against Lions......looks like it was a cracker and 'game of the day'  Big smile

Hawks seem to have given it a good go at Station Rd and defended well against high scoring Clifton, but came away with no points Ouch

Guernsey, Barnes and Canterbury all got the job done today in defeating the bottom three comprehensively.  The best of which was likely the City Side scoring heavily against Rochford......who can be hard to beat. Clap

BSE edged a tight encounter with Dings at the Haberden by 1pt.  I note that that was the third consecutive away game for Dings.....which seems harsh.  a 6th LBP though......which often bodes well for the future Wink

An impressively convincing win for the Choppers today......i confess that i did wonder if in form Hinckley might actually get a win there....but after some low scoring encounters,  perhaps they are back on track ?  Is Honey fit again ?
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 19:41
re Old Albanians game today - a key aspect was the non functioning of the OA line -out - amazing how a seemingly simple thing can make such a difference. Worthing have also had games where the line-out malfunctions  and it's so difficult to win a game when that happens

Edited by sweatysock - 22 Jan 2022 at 19:42
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 22:27
Darth Raider, you’re right about match of the day if you mean Esher 3s 26 Worthing 2s 25 😉🤣, great win!

The 1st XV game was one of the most exciting I’ve seen for a while. Lions went ahead early on but Esher pulled it back to lead by 3 at half-time. Yellow card just before half-time should have hampered Esher but we scored the best try with just 14, a wide sweeping move over 70 metres. 

Esher then went 10 points clear with some quick, slick handling but Lions kept coming back and scored their BP try to get within 3. The last 10 minutes saw Lions pressing but the Esher defence was strong, driving Lions mauls back and tackling everything above ground level. 

5-2 was a good reflection (and my prediction). Lions fullback WilHuckleberryson was outstanding and the Lions second rows and No 8 very good but Esther’s front row dominated - Skoumbourdis adding 2 tries - and Morley ran the game really well.

Good match between 2 good teams. Lions are better than mid-table.
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 23:17
hi halliford...........sorry to hear that our Aiders lost narrowly.....they have been having a good season

sounds like a great first team game at your place.....the way you recount it it seems a bit like Esher backs against Lions forward power ?

btw....the full back .....alex willHuckleberryson (beat the fruit filter) is only on loan from Raiders WinkWinkBig smile

i was told today......no idea how accurate....that only one team goes up this year.  i guess you guys are well on course ?

looking forward to both games we have yet to play against each other.  Tongue
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 07:58
Not quite Lions forwards v Esher backs. Esher front row was stronger and back row quicker. Lions just play really well with each other.

Definitely only one team up this year, no play-off. I’m told that was announced some time ago but I don’t recall it. National 1 numbers will be adjusted by the number of relegations needed.
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 19:11
looks like no change at the top with top five all winning. Bottom 3 also looking quite fixed.

Esher still favourites for top spot
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 19:17
Originally posted by sweatysock sweatysock wrote:

looks like no change at the top with top five all winning. Bottom 3 also looking quite fixed.

Can't disagree with that.

Worthing, Clifton , Redruth and Esher all came through with away wins in games that I thought might be potential banana skins.

Henley seemed to have made a bit hard work of the game against Westcliff - but had a decent winning margin in the end.
RAID ON
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 19:22
Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Worthing, Clifton , Redruth and Esher all came through with away wins in games that I thought might be potential banana skins.

Henley seemed to have made a bit hard work of the game against Westcliff - but had a decent winning margin in the end.

Henley’s next two games are Redruth & Esher away. We have nothing to loose, so hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves, you never know and come away with two wins?!!😃
'Go The Hawks!'
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 19:23
Originally posted by The Hawks The Hawks wrote:

Originally posted by Raider999 Raider999 wrote:

Henley’s next two games are Redruth & Esher away. We have nothing to loose, so hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves, you never know and come away with two wins?!!😃

There are some tough matches all round in the coming weeks.
RAID ON
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatysock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 20:01
yes it's certainly set up for an exciting climax to the season 
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 20:16
echoing the thoughts of others......it seems to me that either Clifton or Esher will win our title this year,
FWIW.....in my 20 odd years of observation, our league this year has greater depth of quality thanever before.  
Almost every game is a banana skin.....see Westcliff getting an LBP at Dry Leas today Smile  i suspect that the Hawks built an considerable lead and emptied their bench too early.....but nevertheless, well done Westcliff

I have not been able to source any relevant data about the peformance of my lot at Rochford today, but in am relieved that we managed to come away with 5pts.....not an easy place to visit. Clap

i was expecting an high scoring encounter at Barn Elms.....but well done to Esher (again) in continuing their winning run.  V tough game which i thought the Barnow boys might win.  Looks like outstanding Esher defence won them the day again. ??

A very good win again for Clifton at Hinckley......an impressive 5pts yet again.  Hinks will perhaps be gutted, thst only having lost 3 tries to 4, that they come away with nothing.

Choppers win yet again but.....nowhere near as impressively as i thought they would.  
I think that there are four teams tracking Clifton and Esher.....seeking promotion this year....i am not sure any of them have quite what it takes to disturb this pair.

looking at the remaining fixtures.....i think my lot have the best chance....but do we have the quality in the key games ?  We will see WinkWink

Welshie7 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Welshie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 20:40
Solid wins for the top teams today.

Top 4 could easily drop a BP here or there and it could be the difference.

Worthing to have a big say in the final positions with the re-arranged/COVID catch up games making the 2nd half of the season very interesting. Does anyone know when these games are to be played?

On the N1 board it says only 1 team up - does that mean no play-off this year?
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 22:06
hi welshie......categorically only one team up....which is a bit of a shame....given how competitive our league is this year.....it would be a fantastic competition for the playoff place.

j
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 22:12
Also.....should have said....we only have one re-arranged game....already scheduled......so we still have to play Esher twice so as you observe....still have the capability to influence the final result.
We also have Lions, Redruth and Henley at home....so exciting times for Raiders fans TongueWink 
tigerburnie View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerburnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 09:01
Still expecting the Lions to be there or thereabouts, build up of cancelled fixtures might do for them though.
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 13:43
Originally posted by tigerburnie tigerburnie wrote:

Still expecting the Lions to be there or thereabouts, build up of cancelled fixtures might do for them though.

I don't think they have a chance of being in the top 2, with Clifton & Esher not dropping many points - however top 6 is probably attainable.
RAID ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 26>
  Share Topic