National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
Author
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 08:36
Totally agree with that comment ..
FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 10:59
Originally posted by Even Older Hooker Even Older Hooker wrote:

Sweaty. I believe next season will see a number of miss matches, for all the new comers good will. This I fear may have an effect on our very good gates =loss of revenue. How that balances with what ever savings we make on travel will only be seen this time next year. Personally I think the changes are a farce.

Thats a Tad harsh EOH...... I hope you were not including Dorking in your naieve dismissal of next years
opponents especially as Henry Birch, Joe Spurgeon, and Henry Anscombe have chosen to join us from Worthing recently.......and by the way if I remember rightly the last time Dorking visited Roundstone Lane we were 25-0 up at HT. Worthing needed the wake up call to win the game in the 2nd half but maybe there was a very large dose of underestimationLOL on that day.
As for your fear of reduced gate turnover and mis-matches, it will certainly NOT happen when Dorking visit next season. I challenge any club at this level to have a better and larger travelling band of supporters than Dorking. Just ask North Walsham and Tunbridge Wells fans, and their respective Treasurers on their Ale sales on our visits. We emptied their cellars before HT.
So EOH be a little kinder and gentler in your premature assumptions......if not a little pragmatic as to the future. Dont forget there are a lot of ambitious clubs out there, constantly striving to get better, improve, and achieve the lofty heights of Worthing RFC. ClapClapClap    
Fezantplucker
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 11:57
I seem to recall the polydactyl Huckleberryerels taking a few prize scalps, including Rams, Chinnor and Bishop Stortford, all now in Nat 1.

I seem to recall that when you came to Cambridge it was a bit of a party, as we were celebrating promotion, and you were relegated, but we still had to work for the win.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 12:20
Sweaty/EOH/all........to be clear, I am not a fan of the new setup, but I think we need to wait and see how this all works out.
Looked at holistically and given the relative proximity of many of our prospective opponents, I think that they may all benefit from an even larger contingent joining in on the Raid. ?

Also, it seems likely that clubs like Dorking and Sevenoaks may well travel to the Rugby Park and something of a 'derby atmosphere' will be generated ?

Lastly, I would be interested to think what others might consider to be a mis-match in terms of scoreline ?   For me.....a gap of more than 60pts would suffice ......i would not enjoy watching that.  Keep in mind that very recently we have put around 60pts on both Redruth and Henley.....and they were clearly not mis-matches.  The actual gap was around 40pts on the day.  I was wonderfully entertained TongueWink
I think I recall us putting more than 60pts on Taunton in consecutive seasons a while back, and look where they are now !

All this of course, IF we end up in the SE division

FEZ ANT PLUCKER View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FEZ ANT PLUCKER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 12:59
Originally posted by Camquin Camquin wrote:

I seem to recall the polydactyl Huckleberryerels taking a few prize scalps, including Rams, Chinnor and Bishop Stortford, all now in Nat 1.

I seem to recall that when you came to Cambridge it was a bit of a party, as we were celebrating promotion, and you were relegated, but we still had to work for the win.
Exactly Camquin and fun it was.
To finish 4th in N2S in our first ever season in L4 took a lot by surprise including the clubs you mentioned 
and particularly Redruth and Taunton whose 18 month long undefeated home run we took from them. As you pointed out our 2nd season was different, but my point was made to counter the comments of EOH that somehow next season would bring mismatches and reduced gates with the inference of the poor quality of promoted teams. Really??
Fezantplucker
Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 13:33
There will always be mismatches in any league across a season especially in a league where the action is non-stop week after week ie 30 games. This is relentless and gives players no respite from a sport that becomes increasingly physical by the year. This is why I applaud and support the decision to revert to 26 games. There will always be cases where teams are weakened for whatever reason and a mismatch occurs but I believe this number will be reduced despite some posters concerns about the strength of the teams coming up. Don't worry about attendance numbers or revenues - sometimes less is more and even spectators appreciate a break now and again so I think they may even end up attending more matches given the reduction in travel (for most, if not all) 
Ambitious clubs coming up through the pyramid can only be good for the game and whether they prove good enough only time will tell but please don't think you'll be watching 80 - Nils every other week. You may be in for a pleasant surprise

Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 15:53
Unfortunately, the biggest mismatches have been clubs that have collapsed after overspending in the higher leagues and tumbled down the league: Launceston, Birmingham, Newbury and Manchester. 

And this is not to gloat, rather "there but for the grace of god", I know how close Cambridge came to joining them.

Remember, almost every club at this level was once one of the ambitious little clubs.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 17:52
The mismatches this season have been with the teams promoted pre-pandemic who, for various reasons including no relegation, didn’t IMO get their act together. I suspect that Westcliff will struggle again next season with Dorking, Sevenoaks and North Walsham better organised to take the step up. Barnstaple won’t find Exeter Uni and Hornets easy, either.
sidelined View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidelined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 13:01
Originally posted by Halliford Halliford wrote:

The mismatches this season have been with the teams promoted pre-pandemic who, for various reasons including no relegation, didn’t IMO get their act together. I suspect that Westcliff will struggle again next season with Dorking, Sevenoaks and North Walsham better organised to take the step up. Barnstaple won’t find Exeter Uni and Hornets easy, either.

I'm not sure that it's right to say that teams didn't get their acts together, each club sets a playing budget and coaches need to abide by that budget. I would rather see my club (Barnstaple) relegated, rather than be financially ruined just to stay at Level 4. 

As for Exeter Uni, I doubt any side will have an easy game against them, especially as they are an Exeter Chiefs Academy affiliate.

Thatbloke View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thatbloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2022 at 13:36
If I was being cynical might a club not say something along the lines of "What's the point of throwing money at the playing budget when there won't be any relegation. Let's save a few bob and use it next year when it will really matter" If that can be classified as "not getting their act together" then maybe one or two clubs fit into that category - some may even say that makes good business sense? 
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 18:51
Might I be the first to congratulate the Molesey Rd boys on an exccellent season and a much deserved promotion.  It will be very interesting to see how you guys do in level 3.  Farewell for now.....maybe we will make it back there ourselves in years to come Wink

Commiserations to Choppers......a second excellent season, falling short by a very small margin again. Bit of a damp squib of a finish......good job really that the result was not needed.  That said, TMDP park has been a fortress this season and Lions themselves have given a very good account of themselves.....5th place and finishing the year very strongly Clap

Both top sides ( I believe) achieved their respective positions principally, through having outstanding half backs.  I wonder if they will manage to hang onto them ?  

Cracking game at Merton Lane.......the Wolfpack coming out on top (again) in a tight, high scoring encounter.  The City Side are however, finishing on an upbeat note I feel.  BSE will look forward to nest year with some confidence.

Woo-hooo.....I predicted a Barnes result correctly.....hope this is a better sign for next year Embarrassed

Clifton picked up their expected result at Barum and Dings beat Westcliff quite easily, though the away side did pick up a useful TBP.......I hope they are all well now Angry

Hawks got beat 5-0 again.  No commentary from their posters so still not understanding what is going on at Dry Leas.  They seem to be fielding strong sides but getting beaten quite badly.......not that I am complaining WinkWink

Might post again later on two associated topics.  Celebratory beer time now......I expect that those on 'the Raid' will be filling their boots on the island......best of luck to them......envy   

seagoon View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seagoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 19:43
Congratulations to all involved at Esher Clap from The Wooden Shack on the Hill Wink
I have been following your results mainly due to a certain Mr Lavin He will always be remembered, with a smile, at Caldy
I hope you enjoy your time in Nat 1 , as much as we did 
Kind regards 

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 20:45
Indeed, Congrats to Esher.
Another one against the head
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 23:26
Thanks for the kind words! Fun afternoon at Rochford, nice people! Game over as a contest early on but Rochford will dine out on winning the second half 17-12 as Esher started celebrating.
Morley has been outstanding at 10 but Lavin stood in today and showed off his skills in his final match. Having recovered from a broken neck, he has proved to himself that he can still do it and will enjoy a well-earned rest.
Charlie Gossington and Tom James with nearly 300 matches for Esher also retired today. Big thanks to all 3.
Our Blackheath contingent were sad to see Club going past us this afternoon - Rawstron-Rudd, Scott and Hamilton have been key squad members this season. 
We are pleased to have got the job done and promotion secured. We shall miss good friends at a lot of clubs but look forward to renewing friendships in National 1. Thanks for all the banter, keep posting away and ensure this Forum is noticed!
The Hawks View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Hawks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 23:30
Many congratulations to Esher very well deserved, saying that we were the only team to beat them home and away this season 😃
Darth,
I really don’t know what had happened to Henley recently, it seams after the Redruth defeat we went downhill?, but the boys never gave up! It’s been a season we will not forget especially the loss of David after the first game and it was wonderful to see David’s widow at OA’s lunch and they all gave a minute applause by both teams and supporters before the match. #ForDH5
'Go The Hawks!'
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 10:16
I think the loss of David reminds us all of the need to keep a little bit of perspective and remember the core values of this great sport....Yes we all want to win, and congratulations to Esher on their promotion and comiserations to Redruth (my pre season tip), but it must not become so all consuming that we ruin our clubs...Next season sees major change, I for one was vehemently against, but we are here now... so no more trips to the West Country for us, but that is tempered with return trips to TJ's, Dorking, N Walsham and first ever league visits to Sevenoaks and Blackheath!  Have a great summer chaps...enjoy the cricket Smile
PropDad View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PropDad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 15:52
Pure class from Worthing to put a congratulations to Esher on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/943039842406681/posts/5167159073328049/?d=n

Enjoy the summer everyone. 
islander View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 16:55
Congrats to Esher... Clap

Does anyone know how the N2S season will wrap up? League table shows that Leicester Lions, Canterbury, Hinckley & Rochford have played 29 games, and Guernsey 28. The site also shows [LINK] three games listed for next Sat (May 7th):
  • Gsy v Rochford 2pm
  • Lions v Gsy 2.30pm
  • Hinckley v Canterbury 3pm
Hence my 'does anyone know?' query... Confused
Sedge Tiger View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner
Sedgley Park

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sedge Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 17:15
Well done Esher on your promotion to National One. I hope you had a great night last night.

Congratulations once again 

All the best 

ST 
Give him one with handles on
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 17:19
ClapClap
Originally posted by PropDad PropDad wrote:

Pure class from Worthing to put a congratulations to Esher on their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/943039842406681/posts/5167159073328049/?d=n

Enjoy the summer everyone. 
ClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526>
  Share Topic