National League Rugby Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > League Rugby - www.leaguerugby.co.uk > National 2
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IMPORTANT Remember to read the rules of the board and abide by them when posting.

national 2 south status

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 26>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2022 at 09:05
He had an outstanding game when he came to The Haberden, seemed to recall him scoring one and making two (or vice versa)...
Raider999 View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raider999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 20:10
Having researched a bit it appears Tom Stileman is a winger who made is London Scottish debut in November 21, he has played for Oxford University in the past.
RAID ON
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 23:34
As a national 1 fan, I can tell you that the promoted sides never, ever, prosper.
Rams struggled to second last season, and I am sure we will not see Caldy after this one.

Dorking have been in National 2 before. They finished fourth in 14/15.
North Walsham dropped out of what was then national 3 in 2008, but only just missed promotion in 2006, losing 5-15 to Nuneaton in the play-off, the year Cambridge were first promoted.

I watched Walsham II play Cambridge Exiles last week. Exiles had Stef Liebenburg and Brendan Burke as the half-back pairing., for those that remember them No quarter asked nor given, just hard rugby. While Cambridge won, and will top the league, it is clear that NW2 are too good for Easter Counties rugby. SO both should go up.

Sweeney Delenda Est
Even Older Hooker View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Even Older Hooker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 21:35
I wonder next season whoever is promoted what affect it will have on gates, lunches and Bar Sales. I suspect there will be too many teams who will not be quite be good enough and therefore once this is realised the gates could fall . with the end result loss of income, the opposite of what the muppets at HQ say they are trying to do.
Another one against the head
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 13:21
I am not sure, but they only need to find ten teams to fill level 4, so I assume it will be the third place teams with the best two playing records, so Hornets and either North Walsham or Blackburn.
Hertford still have an outside chance of catching the Vikings and being ahead of Blackburn.
Blackburn coming up would push another Northern side South, probably on of the Sheffield sides.

I have looked at some numbers, but was keeping them to myself until I know what the leagues look like - there is still so much variation.
Sweeney Delenda Est
Darth Raider View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 12:54
Thanks for your thoughts Camquin....don't know why, but I thought Guernsey were going West ?

Either way.......3 or 4 of the teams you ave listed may be designated SE ?  I would discount Club....can't see TJ's or Tykes escaping myself.

I would hope that both Raiders and Hawks are likely to stay, though both as you infer, are on the edges geographically.  
I had not previously considered that we would ever see Hincks or Lions again, though in retrospect, staying SE and without trips to Barum, Redruth and Bristol, it looks like quite an attractive prospect travel-wise.

Are you sure that no more than 3 teams can come up from level 5 ?  That would be good. 

I did some calculations earlier in the year on Raiders mileage if they went South West......it very nearly doubled Ouch   I don't know what it would be like for Hawks
Camquin View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Camquin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 12:17
I make it:

Barnes Rugby Club
Bury St Edmunds
Canterbury  
Dorking Rugby Club
Guernsey Rugby
North Walsham Rugby club
Old Albanian Rugby Club
Rochford Hundred Rugby Club
Sevenoaks Rugby Club
Tonbridge Juddians Rugby Club (unless they can get above Leeds and Ealing win)
Westcliff Rugby Club

plus three of

Blackheath - if relegated, now looking unlikely with TJs win over Leeds. 
Henley
Worthing
Hinckley
Loughborough Students
Leister Lions.

Whichever go West - obviously not Club - they will have some of the highest mileage at level 4, obviously not quite as high as Redruth or Barnstaple. However, the Leicestershire sides would have short trips to Bournville and Stourbridge.

Edited by Camquin - 12 Apr 2022 at 12:19
Sweeney Delenda Est
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 11:52
Our title contenders pushed on again on Saturday......Choppers with quite some ease at home to the Hundred and Esher, also quite comfortably in a tougher fixture against the in form Wolfpack.
Esher still look to be in the driving seat.....and I expect both contenders will find a way to win their last three games......though Esher may be a little nervous about the visit of my lot and Choppers wilol be a bit troubled about their visit to Leicester.....no doubt the Lions would like to finish their time down south as party spoilers Big smile

I suspect Raiders needed to win at Station Rd......a very tall order.....in order to pinch 3rd place from a very strong Clifton outfit.  We started well and built a good lead.....we also lead with 2mins left on the clock.....but in a recurrent theme in this last month, we conceded right at the death and it was only a missed conversion that stopped us from being pipped at the post by the Lavender and Blacks.  
If we end up fourth.....that will still have been a fine season and a big step forward. Clap

With no playoff place and no relegation, the interest is dropping out of the season for me. 
one (personal) bright spot was the Lions win at Barn Elms......which meant I managed to predict a Barnow result correctly ....quite an achievement TongueWink

Dings continued their fine form with an impressive win away at Hinckley.....despite scoring 4 tries to the home side's 5.
Likewise.....OA's edged a high scoring  game with the Islanders in what looked like an exciting encounter......with a chap I confess I have not heard of before, scoring all six of the OA's tries. Stileman I think ?  Some effort that Clap

The woes of Westcliff continued with a home defeat to the City Side.  They will have it all to do again next year.  I have been trying to work out the composition of Nat2SE next year.....i know some of it awaits confirmation of relegation and promotion candidates.....however....

It seems that ....IF Esher are promoted...we have remaining:

Raiders; OA's; Westcliff; Rochford; Henley; Barnes; BSE and Canterbury ...so 8 teams ?
TJ's come down.....up to 9
Sevenoaks AND Dorking promoted from level 5......that makes 11.

So still 3 teams missing ?  Somebody please tell me that this does not mean another 3 sides will come up from level 5 ?

Chopper View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 21:39
Originally posted by cheshire exile cheshire exile wrote:

To the best of my knowledge Redruth have no connection with Exeter. However they have an arrangement with Pirates whereby players returning from injury, or otherwise lacking game time , are loaned to the Choppers.
For the game at Worthing loose-head Haydn King, recovering from a serious neck injury, and open side Bear Williams who has not played much, started for the Reds.

Does that mean Redruth are promoted?
Redted View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 20:44
Bear Williams is registered with Redruth.
We have had a number of other players on loan for the odd game from the Pirates as stated by CE.
cheshire exile View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheshire exile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 08:50
To the best of my knowledge Redruth have no connection with Exeter. However they have an arrangement with Pirates whereby players returning from injury, or otherwise lacking game time , are loaned to the Choppers.
For the game at Worthing loose-head Haydn King, recovering from a serious neck injury, and open side Bear Williams who has not played much, started for the Reds.
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 08:38
So Esher and Worthing are almost identical in their squads and usage. I suspect that Clifton will have a similar make up but not sure about Redruth. 

Pace Power Perfection
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darth Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 13:02
Halliford/Jackal.  By way of reciprocity......

The Raiders squad......which is a combination of first team and seconds (Aiders), comprises about 60 players.  The Aiders have had a fine year and have won their league.

According to our match day program stats, we have deployed 38 different players on first team match days this season.

WE have one loanee from the Ealing academy.  18yrs old
We have 6 D/R's from Quins although one has never been seen.  All 18yrs of age when joining.  All making occasional contributions, often from the bench.
In addition, Quins recruited our starting tight head to their academy mid-season and have loaned him back to us for most games (how gracious).

All of the Quins lads have picked up at least one lenghty injury and I do wonder if they are too young to be introduced to level 4 ?  Perhaps an 18yr old back is OK, but I think it is asking a lot of a very young forward.  I think that 3 of them might still be out injured but that is partly guesswork.
All of the above are withdrawn whenever required by their home club.
I'm not a fan of the process as it stands.
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 11:58
Jackal 
As stated it is a question without any malice intended. Purely asked out of general interest in Esher as a club. 

Halliford 
Thank you for your answer. 
Pace Power Perfection
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 09:22
Originally posted by Golden Jackal Golden Jackal wrote:

WW what purpose does your question serve..?  It has been pointed out several times that Esher have not broken any laws...(whether the law is an ass - is a different question!)  We look forward to visiting Eees on Saturday and will do our best to put a dent in their promotion charge no matter which 20 players are selected, it is what it is.  There is a danger that some of these comments could appear to sound like sour grapes from a fine club having a fantastic centenary season!

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, GJ, we will give you a warm welcome!
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 09:22
Originally posted by Wigwam Wigwam wrote:

Halliford
With no malice intended at all…..
How many players do Esher have on the books and how many have played this season in the first team. 

It's difficult to say how many we have on the books. It's around 100 to cover the top 3 teams and a further 25 who play for our Veterans team. I thought it would be easy to get the number from GMS but it isn't!

So far this season we have used 45 players in the 1st XV squad this season. Of those 6 have been D/R with London Irish, 1 is on loan from London Scottish and 1 on loan from Rams.
Golden Jackal View Drop Down
British and Irish Lion
British and Irish Lion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 09:03
WW what purpose does your question serve..?  It has been pointed out several times that Esher have not broken any laws...(whether the law is an ass - is a different question!)  We look forward to visiting Eees on Saturday and will do our best to put a dent in their promotion charge no matter which 20 players are selected, it is what it is.  There is a danger that some of these comments could appear to sound like sour grapes from a fine club having a fantastic centenary season!
Wigwam View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wigwam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 19:52
Halliford
With no malice intended at all…..
How many players do Esher have on the books and how many have played this season in the first team. 

Pace Power Perfection
Halliford View Drop Down
World Cup Winner
World Cup Winner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halliford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 23:36
Scrum time  - team was :
Lavin; Rowland, Donnelly, Rawstron-Rudd, Lang; Morley, Bullock; Dow, Scott, Wilkins; Bullett, Sloan; Skoumbourdis, Vajner, Lowes
Reps: Coutts, Crawley, Thornton, Pozniak, Thompson

Happy?
Chopper View Drop Down
Academy player
Academy player

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 23:28
Is there anymore insight or comments from the game at Rugby Park today?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 26>
  Share Topic